Identification of Ester ???(chemical test) Watch

bullet182
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Does anibody know a chemical test for the identification of an ester?????

--
Thanksssss
nehal26
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmm esters have a nice smell to them. or do you need a chemical test?

have a look at this website http://www.wpbschoolhouse.btinternet...micalTests.htm
hollylily
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think there's a chemical test for identifying esters. As nehal26 mentioned, you could typically identify them through their distinctive odours. However, if all else fails, you could analyse them using chromatography or mass spectrometry.
Amt
Report 11 years ago
it has a sweet smell n u can add ethanol to ethanoic acid to form an ester
mahmud_2000
Report 11 years ago
OCR A2 C/W?

this is what i found

The only straightforward reaction of esters is hydrolysis to their original acid and alcohol.

One method is to dissolve the suspected ester in a little ethanol and then add a few drops of KOH solution and a drop or two of phenolphthalein. The solution should now be pink (alkaline colour of phenolphthalein).

Now place the test tube and contents in a boiling water bath together with another tube containg all the reagents but not the suspected ester. See whether the indicator colour fades, comparing it with the 'blank'. The point is that the ester will hydrolyse and the acid produced will neutralise the KOH and turn the indicator to its colourless, acid form.
bullet182
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
thanks guys !!
Taintedblue_i
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mahmud_2000)
OCR A2 C/W?

this is what i found

The only straightforward reaction of esters is hydrolysis to their original acid and alcohol.

One method is to dissolve the suspected ester in a little ethanol and then add a few drops of KOH solution and a drop or two of phenolphthalein. The solution should now be pink (alkaline colour of phenolphthalein).

Now place the test tube and contents in a boiling water bath together with another tube containg all the reagents but not the suspected ester. See whether the indicator colour fades, comparing it with the 'blank'. The point is that the ester will hydrolyse and the acid produced will neutralise the KOH and turn the indicator to its colourless, acid form.
This was really handy but do you by any chance remember where you found it out? I need to source all my info in my coursework. Thanks.
Lollz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Zeisel test ??? x
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lollz)
Zeisel test ??? x
First I've heard of it - I looked it up seems okay but its a bit obscure.
pwchrich1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Add NaOH and reflux.
Then add some 1M sulphuric acid, and if there's a precipitate, that identifies the presence of an ester.
nvn25
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
try it, may be works not sure..
take two test tubes and in 1 test tube add suspected ester and in another add any other compound (except acid) , then add few drops of ethanol in both, and add two drops of koH in both. boil the contents and test with litmus paper paper . if paper turns red it means suspected one is ester.
SJ2109
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Where did you get this info from? I need a reference for my work, so any link would be helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?