Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    so at uni I want to study biomedical science, as I have looked at the course ( at kings ) and it embodies everything I love about biology and chemistry and what I want to study and would excel at however, my dream is to become a cardiologist but I would need to do medicine at university! I have looked at the medicine course and they are generally 5 years and I don't think I would enjoy the modules as much as the biomedical science ... what do you guys think I should do?

ReputationRep:
    Grit your teeth and do a GEM course.

EDIT: Ooops sorry. Thought you were already doing biomedical science.

From what I hear, most people change their minds many times over about what they want to do when they're at med school. So you may not really want to be a cardiologist in future.

If you really want to be a doctor, go to med school - otherwise choose biomed.

ReputationRep:
    just don't go to uni halle I can feel that you're going to fai anyway lol

ReputationRep:
    I understand that you may not like medicine as much, but I feel it's what you need then you'll just have to stomach it. If, however, you do medicine and hate it then perhaps your direction may change- but that may be for the better. I wished you all the best for the future. And you could alwayssss just get two degrees It's completely your choice, just take your time in figuring out what you truly want.

ReputationRep:
    just don't go to uni halle you're probably going to fail anyway lol
    by the way I'm going to be the most successful twin

ReputationRep:
    Just do the medicine course
    Yes it's 5 years long, but taking the biomed route to become a cardiologist is going to be even longer.
    I say go for medicine - there's still a good mix of biology and chemistry.

Plus, if you don't enjoy the modules offered at that university, take a look at other universities - i'm sure they'll have something you enjoy.

However, you know your circumstances better than I do, so do what you really want to do and what you think you'll enjoy most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biohalle)
    so at uni I want to study biomedical science, as I have looked at the course ( at kings ) and it embodies everything I love about biology and chemistry and what I want to study and would excel at however, my dream is to become a cardiologist but I would need to do medicine at university! I have looked at the medicine course and they are generally 5 years and I don't think I would enjoy the modules as much as the biomedical science ... what do you guys think I should do?
    Do the biomedical science course at St George's. You study biomedical science and then transfer to medicine. Altogether it is 6 years. It is much less competitive compared to GEM. You can enjoy biomedical science and then you can become a cardiologist.

https://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/undergr...-into-medicine

Last year, 50 people got the transfer interview and 20 got offered to study medicine.

Research more about it tho. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    What about the Scientist Training Programme (STP) as postgraduate training?

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.