Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm a EU student that is starting university in the UK this year, but I have been studying previously in my country.

    I started university here in 2013 and finished the first year, but then changed courses for the academic year 2014/2015. Although I registered for this new course, I had to cancel my registration before the course started because I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety and depression and I could barely go out of my house, let alone attend university. I have been unable to continue my studies since then.

    I did receive a general bursary in 2013/2014, but I did not apply for a tuition fee bursary because I was awarded with an scholarship of sorts that is awarded here to students that graduate from high school with a distinction and automatically covers the tuition fee of the first year.

    Do I need to list the second course I never actually started in section 5a1? Do I have to submit evidence of my health issues in order for my student loans to cover all 4 years of my course? Or does it not matter since I never received any kind of tuition fee bursary/loan during my studies? Do I need to list the general bursary I received from my country in section 5b?

    Thank you for your help.
    •  Official Rep

     Official Rep
    Hi believedintime,

    Thank you for your question.

    For SFE customers all previous study (from anywhere in the world) is taken into consideration and can affect their entitlement.
    In your case you have had one year of previous study. The year that you didn't attend at all will not count as a year of study.

    The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus one extra year, minus any previous study.

    So in your case you have essentially used up your gift year. So the good news is you will still be okay to received full funding for your course (unless you have a equivalent level qualification) based on this calculation.You don't need to send evidence of your compelling personal reasons right now unless you have to repeat a year of study (because you have used your gift year, Tuition fee will not be paid for repeat years unless CPR evidence is approved) in your new course.Hope this helps.

    Thank you,


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.