Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I've seen a couple of posts on this forum with a few people expressing their concerns for potentially not having met their desired grade requirements.

I've applied to do German and Spanish at both Cardiff (Firm) and Swansea (Insurance)

My offers for both universities were Distinction in BteC ICT, B in Spanish and B in English Literature.

I personally believe I'm going to attain the following, being realistic rather than optimistic: Distinction Star in ICT, A in Spanish and C/D in English Literature.

Given that Swansea is my insurance choice and I wouldn't have met the grade requirements entirely, what is the likelihood of acceptance if I were to attain the above grades and be declined by Cardiff, my firm choice.

Please be honest rather than being kind to give confidence.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I really hope you all can somewhat shed light and help me out here. All replies are greatly appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seeaan)
    Hello all,

I've seen a couple of posts on this forum with a few people expressing their concerns for potentially not having met their desired grade requirements.

I've applied to do German and Spanish at both Cardiff (Firm) and Swansea (Insurance)

My offers for both universities were Distinction in BteC ICT, B in Spanish and B in English Literature.

I personally believe I'm going to attain the following, being realistic rather than optimistic: Distinction Star in ICT, A in Spanish and C/D in English Literature.

Given that Swansea is my insurance choice and I wouldn't have met the grade requirements entirely, what is the likelihood of acceptance if I were to attain the above grades and be declined by Cardiff, my firm choice.

Please be honest rather than being kind to give confidence.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I really hope you all can somewhat shed light and help me out here. All replies are greatly appreciated.
    Firstly, you don't know your grades until you receive them . For example, if you found the EngLit exams hard maybe others did too in which case the grades will be normalised and perhaps you'll get that B.

Secondly, nobody can give you a definitive answer on the acceptability of your expected grades vs the requirements. Not even Swansea or Cardiff, until Results Day when all the grades are known. It's quite possible to be allowed a 1 or even 2 grade miss on Results Day, but no-one can say for sure. For example, a 2 grade miss might have been unsuccessful last year, but could be ok this year... we don't know

Thirdly, why choose 2 universities with the same conditions? It's usual to have a lower insurance, hence the "insurance" aspect...

Forthly, you could contact both universities and ask if your grades would have been acceptable in prior years. It might give you *some* guidance about the likelyhood this year. They could well say they don't know - but there's no harm in asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Firstly, you don't know your grades until you receive them . For example, if you found the EngLit exams hard maybe others did too in which case the grades will be normalised and perhaps you'll get that B.

Secondly, nobody can give you a definitive answer on the acceptability of your expected grades vs the requirements. Not even Swansea or Cardiff, until Results Day when all the grades are known. It's quite possible to be allowed a 1 or even 2 grade miss on Results Day, but no-one can say for sure. For example, a 2 grade miss might have been unsuccessful last year, but could be ok this year... we don't know

Thirdly, why choose 2 universities with the same conditions? It's usual to have a lower insurance, hence the "insurance" aspect...

Forthly, you could contact both universities and ask if your grades would have been acceptable in prior years. It might give you *some* guidance about the likelyhood this year. They could well say they don't know - but there's no harm in asking.
    Thank you for the swift response.

I sincerely hope I do achieve my results, but I just want to prepare myself for the worst so that if it does happen, I'm not completely and bitterly disappointed. I don't lack faith in that I've done my best and perhaps my efforts may be sufficient, I just thought there was no harm in asking.

I want to move to Wales, those were the two universities that I applied for within Wales and thus I put them both there. All my offers were significantly higher than that, plus I was advised to put the university which I preferred in order rather than solely grade requirements.

I had heard in the past that Swansea may be more lenient than Cardiff, so I put it secondly. Naively so, I'm now starting to feel the pressure of that weight growing as my final exams soon approach.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seeaan)
    Thank you for the swift response.

I sincerely hope I do achieve my results, but I just want to prepare myself for the worst so that if it does happen, I'm not completely and bitterly disappointed. I don't lack faith in that I've done my best and perhaps my efforts may be sufficient, I just thought there was no harm in asking.

I want to move to Wales, those were the two universities that I applied for within Wales and thus I put them both there. All my offers were significantly higher than that, plus I was advised to put the university which I preferred in order rather than solely grade requirements.

I had heard in the past that Swansea may be more lenient than Cardiff, so I put it secondly. Naively so, I'm now starting to feel the pressure of that weight growing as my final exams soon approach.
    Those are good reasons for your choices - it's not a big deal honestly, just slightly sub-optimal given your "situation".

At this stage just, and I know this is a platitude but, do the best you can. Don't stress about things outside your control (e.g. admissions decisions), and as I said, it's not uncommon to be allowed a grade or two miss.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll love Cardiff when you start there in September.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it depends on the department, how popular the course is and how far off the grades required you are. For example I was offered ABB on the Aerospace course but attained BCC and still got a place so there is likely to be some leniency. The grade they are going to focus on most is going to be what you attain in Spanish as that's the most relevant subject. Knowing quite a few that have done ICT Diplomas I'm assuming you already know what you're getting in that and so if you attain your Spanish grade or maybe even a grade below they would probably still accept an English grade below the offer.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.