Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Feminism is NOT Equalism Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valyrian)
    I really think it's common sense as to why I think that women are still not equal to men besides the stubborn wage pay gap.
    Wage gap for the same job doesn't exist.

Ok, let's talk about products we need to use for living e.g. the scary period stuff that men don't like women mentioning. Yup. We pay more for items that we actually need to be healthy. Tampon tax - hello!
    Do I even need to mention about how the same shaving products for men costs considerably less in comparison to women?
    It's business, don't really understand what that has to do with sexism?

I don't need to talk about how women earn on average 16% less than the ordinary John Doe.
    They don't in the same job. Overall from the average from every job they do, and that's because women pick softer degrees whereas men pick STEM.

Let's talk about how sports is very male-orientated and that women's efforts aren't recognised as strongly as male participants in the same sport e.g. Football/Soccer.
    Because women are physically weaker and aren't as good.

What about the third-world demographic who are still 'old-fashioned' and believe that women should be only alive for the sake of bearing children or 'being in the kitchen' and not out in the real world.
    Considering we are living in the West that's what we're talking about. Feminism is needed in other parts of the world, yes.

Let's talk about job positions and how most favoured positions are taken by men. Let's talk about how job roles such as teachers and nurses are associated with femininity. Let's talk about how many CEO's are men and not women. Let's talk about how women aren't paid for maternity leave.

Do you want more?
    If you do those degrees then obviously you will be associated with it. Vast majority of nursing courses are done by women.

Why should they be paid for maternity leave?

Yes, because you haven't posted anything that actually consists sexism.

ReputationRep:
    Is it really that much harder to rape a man? This is a pathetic excuse.

Give me a female sport that's given more coverage than the male counterpart does.
    Explain how it's a pathetic excuse, those factors will obviously largely affect any statistics on rape?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAMAL 69)
    Hockey, netball and tennis is fairly equal. Not many women are interested in watching sport in general.
    When have you ever heard someone discussing women's hockey or netball in general conversation? Do they even do bets on them in the bookies?

Tennis, fine. However, much less people are interested in women's Tennis than they are in men's Tennis. The amount of people that watch each game is a clear definer.

ReputationRep:
    What's equalism? Do you mean egalitarianism?

ReputationRep:
    When have you ever heard someone discussing women's hockey or netball in general conversation? Do they even do bets on them in the bookies?

Tennis, fine. However, much less people are interested in women's Tennis than they are in men's Tennis. The amount of people that watch each game is a clear definer.
    Women don't usually go to the bookies so obviously they won't take bets on them you whore.

I really think it's common sense as to why I think that women are still not equal to men besides the stubborn wage pay gap.

Ok, let's talk about products we need to use for living e.g. the scary period stuff that men don't like women mentioning. Yup. We pay more for items that we actually need to be healthy. Tampon tax - hello!
    Do I even need to mention about how the same shaving products for men costs considerably less in comparison to women?

I don't need to talk about how women earn on average 16% less than the ordinary John Doe.

Let's not talk about the sexual stigma around women wearing 'less clothes than they should be outside in the presence of men because they CLEARLY ask for trouble'. I'm not saying men are excluded from sexual harassment and rape, but women's figures definitely out-do men's.

Let's talk about how sports is very male-orientated and that women's efforts aren't recognised as strongly as male participants in the same sport e.g. Football/Soccer.

What about the third-world demographic who are still 'old-fashioned' and believe that women should be only alive for the sake of bearing children or 'being in the kitchen' and not out in the real world.

Let's talk about job positions and how most favoured positions are taken by men. Let's talk about how job roles such as teachers and nurses are associated with femininity. Let's talk about how many CEO's are men and not women. Let's talk about how women aren't paid for maternity leave.

Do you want more?
    Calm down dear
    Spoiler:
    Show

yes that was a jk

I agree there are some issues that still need addressing but you can't deny things are slowly improving it won't take overnight but looking at the sports thing the BBC did televise the woman world cup last time
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

I like women's tennis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    "Feminism: the belief in the political, economical and social equality of the sexes." "The advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes." Look at the definitions, equality is in the definition.

I call myself a feminist not because I believe woman are better, but because I believe in the equality of the sexes, recognising that men aren't equal either. Men and their inequality is just as important as a woman's.

Fact: There is a glass ceiling.
    Fact: There is a wage gap.
    Fact: Some men wouldn't hire a woman because they'd have to pay her for maternity leave.

Woman are still views as the weaker and less able sex by a lot of men. Men are still viewed as not allowed to be emotionally available and vulnerable. But to say that women are exactly equal to men is just ignorant and wrong.

There is inequality on both sides of the argument, Feminism in my eyes, and in theory is equality. Stop moaning about what it's called because honestly who gives a crap. I believe in being paid the same as a man and I believe in a man being able to cry and be a stay at home dad without being degraded for it and therefore I am a feminist.
    Exactly, feminism is equality "in theory". In practise, women's rights are hugely prioritised. Show me an example of feminists protesting for equal Rights for parental custody battles or equal treatment for men and women in criminal cases then I will start to believe that feminism truly advocates equality. How is it fair to make a man suffer in jail longer than a woman because he is a man? How is it fair that a man is unable to possess his own child after a divorce because he is not a mother???? There are so many issues that men face but feminists spend too much time arguing that women's issues are more important and attacking anyone who thinks differently.
    Both genders have issues, let's deal with them equally. Honestly, for me it isn't the word that makes feminism bad but the fact that in reality it completely marginalises men.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAMAL 69)
    Women don't usually go to the bookies so obviously they won't take bets on them you whore.
    You do know that the first resort to denying that you've lost the argument is to start using foul language?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Calm down dear
    Spoiler:
    Show

yes that was a jk

I agree there are some issues that still need addressing but you can't deny things are slowly improving it won't take overnight but looking at the sports thing the BBC did televise the woman world cup last time
    Calm as a clam.

ReputationRep:
    Name one right that males have that females don't, which also creates a discrepancy or inequality in favour of males. I sure as hell can't.

ReputationRep:
    Is it really that much harder to rape a man? This is a pathetic excuse.
    of course it's harder to rape a man for one thing we are bigger and heaver and secondly we will fight back much harder we also are more aggressive when we fight.

Give me a female sport that's given more coverage than the male counterpart does.
    Volleyball
    Gymnastics
    to name but two.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, feminism is a hypocritical and pretty sexist ideology.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nothing quite generates a wankfest on TSR than the words 'STEM' and 'feminism'.

Leave the troll. He'll go away when his parents get home anyways.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    Volleyball
    Gymnastics
    to name but two.
    Volleyball? The majority of men I have spoken to about volleyball is because 'the girls have really nice arses and they wear basically nothing. I would bang'.

Gymnastics - See above reason.

You cannot argue that Volleyball and Gymnastics are as widely publicised than 'male' sports like football, rugby, golf, swimming, boxing or cricket.

ReputationRep:

Let's not talk about the sexual stigma around women wearing 'less clothes than they should be outside in the presence of men because they CLEARLY ask for trouble'. I'm not saying men are excluded from sexual harassment and rape, but women's figures definitely out-do men's.

Do you want more?
    Buy male shaving things they do the same job.

Fake, equal pay for equal work has been a thing since 1970, can you point me to a company breaking this law?

How many females do you think would make it in the premier league? How many would make it to the Olympics and win if it wasn't gender segregated? Female international teams get beat by schoolboys.

Why is it that modern feminists are more concerned about the ac at work than the 3rd world?

What most favoured positions? On average men work more and take less holidays that's probably why they get better jobs and are more likely to become a CEO.

Should we talk about how the jobs what lead to death are male dominated?

Are men paid for not turning up to work?

ReputationRep:
    Volleyball? The majority of men I have spoken to about volleyball is because 'the girls have really nice arses and they wear basically nothing. I would bang'.

Gymnastics - See above reason.

You cannot argue that Volleyball and Gymnastics are as widely publicised than 'male' sports like football, rugby, golf, swimming, boxing or cricket.
    This problem is perpetuated by women. If women (or people in general) wanted to see more female sports, they would watch more female sports, and TV companies would air it more because it would bring in more viewers and therefore make more profit. They don't care about what gender the sport is, they just care about making money. If you want to see more female football, then watch more female football. I myself am not interested in sport so don't watch womens or men's sport. Do you really think a TV executive would see a huge demand and potential profit in airing women's football and think "nah women don't deserve sport they are stupid and weak and I hate them". Everything revolves around money.

ReputationRep:

lmao this is an absolute joke

So it's sexist that people enjoy the male version more than the female version?
    I guess that makes selena gomez a raging sexist for having more followers than any other male on instagram
    I bet knowing the top ten or 20 people richest people in the world are men also triggers you too.

ReputationRep:

You can bet on them when big events are coming up just like any sport or big event

ReputationRep:

Well, maybe because women's play is not half as awesome or entertaining as men's? Women playing hockey, really? It doesn't have anything to do with the gender, it's with the quality of play. Women don't have their "Ronaldo/Messi" version or anyone who could match a top male athlete.

ReputationRep:
    Language changes over time. The meaning of much of the words we use in our everyday life were different just as close as a hundred years ago. That's what language does- it changes, it evolves. Feminism has gone from meaning equality to becoming synonymous with the idea that women are better than men- which is false. Feminism has gone from women dying for the right to vote, to women marching topless down the street in protest with the stupid idea that that will somehow stop rape... Feminism isn't about equality anymore. It's about left-wing people getting butthurt over people being politically incorrect, it's about disregarding the voice of men based on their gender and skin colour, and it's about censorship. Feminists in the west are the greatest "advocates" for free speech and yet they do the most censorship. I don't think feminism is what it once was. I'm not a feminist, I believe in equality, and I don't think that feminism means equality anymore. And don't get me wrong, I am personally very much left-wing, but it's embarrassing how so many people from the left act sometimes...

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.