Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of studying psychology at uni, however, my family are convinced that it's a 'pointless degree' as you would need a PhD to be a counselling psychologist- which doesn't leave you with any decent options.So does anyone have any alternative jobs I could go?

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of jobs - it depends if you want to stay in the psychology field or not. Outside the psychology field there are lots of jobs you just need 'a degree' to get into which will put you on a management track or something. Within Psychology there is research, lots of jobs within mental health which don't require a doctoral level qualification, or shorter conversions to thing like occupational therapy, social work etc. For the best paid jobs with decent progression you will need further training but lots of the training programs you would do are funded and paid so it's not like a normal phD... but you do have to be very committed to get onto them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    There are lots of jobs - it depends if you want to stay in the psychology field or not. Outside the psychology field there are lots of jobs you just need 'a degree' to get into which will put you on a management track or something. Within Psychology there is research, lots of jobs within mental health which don't require a doctoral level qualification, or shorter conversions to thing like occupational therapy, social work etc. For the best paid jobs with decent progression you will need further training but lots of the training programs you would do are funded and paid so it's not like a normal phD... but you do have to be very committed to get onto them.
    so would i be able to do some sort of therapy with it then?but get training at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H4leem3)
    so would i be able to do some sort of therapy with it then?but get training at the same time?
    There's a whole bunch of options for therapy. You can do diplomas/masters courses in counselling or specific types of therapy and then practice with that. You can get a job (which usually includes training) as an IAPT worker. The clinical doctorate is also paid and involves a lot of practical work. Obviously wages and progression vary depending on the track you take. There's probably more than I mentioned as well, that's just off the top of my head.

I'm certainly not trying to tell you psychology is an easy career track to take. Getting anywhere ill involve years working in poorly paid jobs and/or paying for a masters/further training. But it's a career track with varied options so look into all of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    There's a whole bunch of options for therapy. You can do diplomas/masters courses in counselling or specific types of therapy and then practice with that. You can get a job (which usually includes training) as an IAPT worker. The clinical doctorate is also paid and involves a lot of practical work. Obviously wages and progression vary depending on the track you take.
    thanks for your advice, that sounds really interesting tbh!

ReputationRep:
    Recommend that you look at a few sites;

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ree/psychology

and look at the BPS site for more information.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.