The Student Room Group

Why am I not entitled to a maintence loan?

I have received back my student finance info and I am lodging an appeal but I'm not sure if I'm missing something here...

I'm 24 and estranged from my parents (my mum is dead and I havnt seen my father for 12 years who is now in prison for a long time).

I live with my partner who currently earns around 14k. I currently earn 15k but will obviously not be doing this job anymore once I'm doing my university. I will be doing some part time work but I'm not sure how much yet because it depends on how much time I need to devote to the course obviously! We rent.

I've been accepted to vet physio at BCA. On the website it states it is a full time 3 year honours degree.

Most of it is home based with 4 weeks at the university doing practical study. I was told at the interview to expect to be putting in full time hours at home so as far as I believe this is a full time degree, not an open university distant learning degree.

I have been offered my course fees paid but 0 maintence. I rang and their response was 'I have access to funds'

Well once I'm part time we're looking at having £1300 coming in per month. Then bills are as follows;
Rent - 950
Council tax - 140
Electric - 88
Water - 20
Internet - 20
Fuel (partner has a commute) - 200

It's just not possible. I thought with our joint income being so low I would be entitled to a decent maintence loan but it appears I'm going to get nothing which means I won't be able to attend university.

Does anyone know more about how this works? Are they counting this course as distance learning despite the fact that I can't study 40 hours a week and work 40 hours a week?
Original post by Ahrena
I have received back my student finance info and I am lodging an appeal but I'm not sure if I'm missing something here...

I'm 24 and estranged from my parents (my mum is dead and I havnt seen my father for 12 years who is now in prison for a long time).

I live with my partner who currently earns around 14k. I currently earn 15k but will obviously not be doing this job anymore once I'm doing my university. I will be doing some part time work but I'm not sure how much yet because it depends on how much time I need to devote to the course obviously! We rent.

I've been accepted to vet physio at BCA. On the website it states it is a full time 3 year honours degree.

Most of it is home based with 4 weeks at the university doing practical study. I was told at the interview to expect to be putting in full time hours at home so as far as I believe this is a full time degree, not an open university distant learning degree.

I have been offered my course fees paid but 0 maintence. I rang and their response was 'I have access to funds'

Well once I'm part time we're looking at having £1300 coming in per month. Then bills are as follows;
Rent - 950
Council tax - 140
Electric - 88
Water - 20
Internet - 20

It's just not possible. I thought with our joint income being so low I would be entitled to a decent maintence loan but it appears I'm going to get nothing which means I won't be able to attend university.

Does anyone know more about how this works? Are they counting this course as distance learning despite the fact that I can't study 40 hours a week and work 40 hours a week?

That doesn't sound right. Every student who normally resides in the UK (even the student whose household income is £100k a year) is entitled to at least the non-income maintenance loan.

Have you lived in the UK since at least September 2012?
Reply 2
Original post by Ahrena

Rent - 950
Council tax - 140
Electric - 88
Water - 20
Internet - 20

Furstly, phone Student Finance and ask them. That's the quickest way of finding out. 'I have access to funds' doesn't answer the question - ask them what funds and specifically why no Maintenance Loan.

Contact BCA and ask them how they report the course to Student Finance. Whilst you may be expected to put in full-time study hours, it's possible that the teaching intensity is officially part-time. If part-time, then you will only be entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan. At three years, that seems unlikely though.

If you have lived in the UK for the last 3/5 years, then you should get at least a minimum Maintenance Loan.

If you can provide proof of your mother's death and estrangement from your father, then you can be assessed on your own income. Given that this will effectively be zero if you're going to study full-time, then you should get the full Maintenance Loan.

Be aware that SF do not take account of your outgoings though.
Original post by Ahrena

Rent - 950
Council tax - 140
Electric - 88
Water - 20
Internet - 20

1. Your partners income isn't taken into account as your 24 (Unless you turn 25 on or before 01/09/2017)
2. Your income isn't taken into account, you could be earning money and you wouldn't need to declare it (unless your employer would be releasing you to study)
3. "I have been offered my course fees paid but 0 maintence. I rang and their response was 'I have access to funds'" That doesn't seem like the case and it doesn't seem like we have the whole picture here. You wouldn't be rejected with the reason "you have access to funds"

If your support was blocked you would get 0 tuition fee loan but you would get a maintenance loan.

I would be confident in saying that you have submited a PTL application (part time), which is why it says 0 tuition fees. If your studying at home you are not eligible for a ML. You need to be attending a HEP(higher education provider)

It doesn't matter if you study 40 hours a week at OU or on a distance learning course it's still classed as part time, funding wise.
Have you studied before?
Reply 5
Not studied before and have lived in the UK all my life.

Thank you guys. They honestly did just say because we're both working I have access to funds and the maintence loan is for accommodation and I'm not planning to move. They said to lodge an appeal but they are rarely overturned.

I've tried to contact BCA and will continue to do so.

The only thing I wonder is whether it's classified as distance. BCA call it a 'blended learning course, mostly at home with four week long compulsory attendance courses'
Original post by Ahrena

Thank you guys. They honestly did just say because we're both working I have access to funds and the maintence loan is for accommodation and I'm not planning to move. They said to lodge an appeal but they are rarely overturned.

The only thing I wonder is whether it's classified as distance. BCA call it a 'blended learning course, mostly at home with four week long compulsory attendance courses'

If it's mostly at home then unfortunately the course might not be classed as full time therefore no maintenance funding
Original post by Ahrena

I think you don't get maintenance for such courses but could be wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Ahrena

They honestly did just say because we're both working I have access to funds

This would be immaterial when considering your eligibility for a Maintenance Loan. Everyone who meets basic criteria (residency, previous study etc) will get a minimum Maintenance Loan. The advisor must not have understood your question.

the maintence loan is for accommodation

The Maintenance Loan is yours to do with as you see fit. It is intended to help with living costs whilst studying; whilst most students will need it for accommodation, this is not its sole purpose and you will still qualify for it - albeit at a slightly lower rate - if you remain in your current home.

I can only assume that there has been at least one - possibly several - misunderstandings. What you have been told by the SF advisor simply isn't true when talking about a full-time course. It wouldn't even be true for a part-time course..

I think this is the most likely explanation, in which case you would only ever get a Tuition Fee Loan and no Maintenance Loan. Your access to personal funds and accommodation arrangements, would be entirely irrelevant. Keep seeking clarification of the course intensity and its SF status, from BCA.
It sounds like the University has the course as part time/distance learning.

You don't get a maintenance loan for this.

Quick Reply

Latest