Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Graduated last year and I have been working in TV since January. I just finished my contract yesterday and had another interview with two managers today. This was after a weeks solid work on a live show, which I was working on for 12 hours each day, so I was shattered and felt ill-prepared.

The chat seemed quite informal because they seemed to know a lot of the previously managers I worked with. So rather than talking about my experiences, I may have come across a bit too friendly and chatty, not serious about the role.

I felt that I didn't explain my previous experience and skills well enough and also - because I was nervous - I interjected when they were speaking on a couple of occasions (which I realise is the worst thing to do and came across as rude).

In short, there were a few things I didn't have experience of, and things I did not explain in enough detail, which may have come across as me looking incompetent. Another issue is that I don't drive. Although they said this wasn't essentially, as it was primarily office based, it was useful, which may be a deal breaker.

Anyway, they said they will be speaking with the Executive Producer over the next couple of days and get back to me then about a further meeting on Wednesday, potentially. They said this was because they were unsure of the exact start dates, but I can't help but feel that this is a safety net for them to later say that I was unsuccessful?

They did say I had transferable skills and that they have taken people on before and trained them up (some of them being my previous managers). I sent a follow-up thank you email for meeting with me a couple of hours afterwards, which may look desperate though, ugh.

I just have this gut feeling that I won't get the job, which I really want. I can not tell whether this is me just over-analysing, or me being realistic? Has anyone had a similar experience like this before?

I really don't know what to think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel George)
    Graduated last year and I have been working in TV since January. I just finished my contract yesterday and had another interview with two managers today. This was after a weeks solid work on a live show, which I was working on for 12 hours each day, so I was shattered and felt ill-prepared.

The chat seemed quite informal because they seemed to know a lot of the previously managers I worked with. So rather than talking about my experiences, I may have come across a bit too friendly and chatty, not serious about the role.

I felt that I didn't explain my previous experience and skills well enough and also - because I was nervous - I interjected when they were speaking on a couple of occasions (which I realise is the worst thing to do and came across as rude).

In short, there were a few things I didn't have experience of, and things I did not explain in enough detail, which may have come across as me looking incompetent. Another issue is that I don't drive. Although they said this wasn't essentially, as it was primarily office based, it was useful, which may be a deal breaker.

Anyway, they said they will be speaking with the Executive Producer over the next couple of days and get back to me then about a further meeting on Wednesday, potentially. They said this was because they were unsure of the exact start dates, but I can't help but feel that this is a safety net for them to later say that I was unsuccessful?

They did say I had transferable skills and that they have taken people on before and trained them up (some of them being my previous managers). I sent a follow-up thank you email for meeting with me a couple of hours afterwards, which may look desperate though, ugh.

I just have this gut feeling that I won't get the job, which I really want. I can not tell whether this is me just over-analysing, or me being realistic? Has anyone had a similar experience like this before?

I really don't know what to think.
    I'd just chalk it up to experience.

If you get it because they've seen something they can work with -great!
    If you don't get it, send them an email or a letter just saying "Thankyou for the opportunity, unfortunately I don't feel that I did myself any justice in this interview and I would love to revisit this should the opportunity present itself again."

Or something in that vein. Show your enthusiasm.

ReputationRep:
    So I had a job interview recently and I was 100% sure (honestly) that I wouldn't get the job. I too feel like I sounded incompetent because I couldn't answer a lot of questions as I hadn't worked in the particular area that the job was for before. I feel like the interviewer didn't even like me because I seemed very inexperienced and not confident. I ended up being offered the job - still shocked btw. The only thing I can think off is that they appreciated my honesty because I didn't lie and pretend like I knew what I was talking about I was just honest and said 'I don't know' or 'unfortunately I haven't had a chance to do that kind of work before'. Just wait until Wednesday and see what happens, don't lose hope!

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.