Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Graduated last year and I have been working in TV since January. I just finished my contract yesterday and had another interview with two managers today. This was after a weeks solid work on a live show, which I was working on for 12 hours each day, so I was shattered and felt ill-prepared.

The chat seemed quite informal because they seemed to know a lot of the previously managers I worked with. So rather than talking about my experiences, I may have come across a bit too friendly and chatty, not serious about the role.

I felt that I didn't explain my previous experience and skills well enough and also - because I was nervous - I interjected when they were speaking on a couple of occasions (which I realise is the worst thing to do and came across as rude).

In short, there were a few things I didn't have experience of, and things I did not explain in enough detail, which may have come across as me looking incompetent. Another issue is that I don't drive. Although they said this wasn't essentially, as it was primarily office based, it was useful, which may be a deal breaker.

Anyway, they said they will be speaking with the Executive Producer over the next couple of days and get back to me then about a further meeting on Wednesday, potentially. They said this was because they were unsure of the exact start dates, but I can't help but feel that this is a safety net for them to later say that I was unsuccessful?

They did say I had transferable skills and that they have taken people on before and trained them up (some of them being my previous managers). I sent a follow-up thank you email for meeting with me a couple of hours afterwards, which may look desperate though, ugh.

I just have this gut feeling that I won't get the job, which I really want. I can not tell whether this is me just over-analysing, or me being realistic? Has anyone had a similar experience like this before?

I really don't know what to think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel George)
    Graduated last year and I have been working in TV since January. I just finished my contract yesterday and had another interview with two managers today. This was after a weeks solid work on a live show, which I was working on for 12 hours each day, so I was shattered and felt ill-prepared.

The chat seemed quite informal because they seemed to know a lot of the previously managers I worked with. So rather than talking about my experiences, I may have come across a bit too friendly and chatty, not serious about the role.

I felt that I didn't explain my previous experience and skills well enough and also - because I was nervous - I interjected when they were speaking on a couple of occasions (which I realise is the worst thing to do and came across as rude).

In short, there were a few things I didn't have experience of, and things I did not explain in enough detail, which may have come across as me looking incompetent. Another issue is that I don't drive. Although they said this wasn't essentially, as it was primarily office based, it was useful, which may be a deal breaker.

Anyway, they said they will be speaking with the Executive Producer over the next couple of days and get back to me then about a further meeting on Wednesday, potentially. They said this was because they were unsure of the exact start dates, but I can't help but feel that this is a safety net for them to later say that I was unsuccessful?

They did say I had transferable skills and that they have taken people on before and trained them up (some of them being my previous managers). I sent a follow-up thank you email for meeting with me a couple of hours afterwards, which may look desperate though, ugh.

I just have this gut feeling that I won't get the job, which I really want. I can not tell whether this is me just over-analysing, or me being realistic? Has anyone had a similar experience like this before?

I really don't know what to think.
    I'd just chalk it up to experience.

If you get it because they've seen something they can work with -great!
    If you don't get it, send them an email or a letter just saying "Thankyou for the opportunity, unfortunately I don't feel that I did myself any justice in this interview and I would love to revisit this should the opportunity present itself again."

Or something in that vein. Show your enthusiasm.

ReputationRep:
    So I had a job interview recently and I was 100% sure (honestly) that I wouldn't get the job. I too feel like I sounded incompetent because I couldn't answer a lot of questions as I hadn't worked in the particular area that the job was for before. I feel like the interviewer didn't even like me because I seemed very inexperienced and not confident. I ended up being offered the job - still shocked btw. The only thing I can think off is that they appreciated my honesty because I didn't lie and pretend like I knew what I was talking about I was just honest and said 'I don't know' or 'unfortunately I haven't had a chance to do that kind of work before'. Just wait until Wednesday and see what happens, don't lose hope!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.