Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm going to opening days for my chosen university in the upcoming weeks and I wanted to know what can I expect from it? Is there anything I should know or ask when I go to the nursing lectures that are on during the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmy-b)
    So, I'm going to opening days for my chosen university in the upcoming weeks and I wanted to know what can I expect from it? Is there anything I should know or ask when I go to the nursing lectures that are on during the day.
    I applied for psychology rather than nursing but I can explain a bit about open days in general (I was doing them last year).

First of all, enjoy the day! It's a day all about you so don't worry about asking the wrong questions or looking weird or not knowing where to go because that's exactly what the day is for: to help you to find your footing and determine whether you like it there or not.

Take some time to wander the campus/city a bit to get to know the area. You won't be spending all your time in lectures and seminars so get to know the university itself a bit better. Definitely go on an accommodation tour or two as you'll be living there for a least a year so you have to make sure you like it! I know that you tend to live in a separate halls block if you do midwifery and some universities do this for nursing as well so check with the accommodations team when you're there.

The lecturers will be very happy to talk to you if you have any questions for them so please don't be shy when asking. Also, there will be students who are dotted around the university to help you if you need anything so ask them as well. Sometimes, you just might find someone who has actually taken your course and they'll often get chatting to you very quickly!

In all, they're very useful tools in the university-applying process so make sure to make the best of them! Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Generally the main thing you should be looking for is to get a feel for the university, lecturers, campus and accommodation. Most people use the open day to get a 'gut feeling' about the place.

Things you may like to ask:
    - Amount of travelling distance required for placements
    - Which accommodation is used for nurses (and are all nurses placed together?)
    - Number of placements over the course
    - Whether you will have a 'hub' placement or lots of different placements
    - What assessment methods are used (mainly exams or coursework, or an even mixture)
    - Opportunities for simulated learning
    - Frequency of exams/essays
    - Which clinical skills you will develop
    - Employability of previous cohorts
    - Ease of getting from the accommodation to public transport hubs
    - If you drive, availability of parking at the accommodation and main hospitals

These are just a few examples, and you need to consider what is important to you and your personal situation. Often the people there are current students and lecturers, so they may only have general knowledge about the course. They are ideal people to ask about their personal experiences. Remember though that placement structure and annual leave structure often changes year by year, so you may not want to rely on information from current students as things may change by the time you start your course. It's absolutely fine to email in any questions you didn't get a satisfactory answer to, as this way, they will be directed to the appropriate person.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I went to two open days, applied to both universities and got offers from both (adult nursing BSc Hons). I'd recommend taking a parent or trusted friend with you, as they sometimes remember or ask about something you didn't think of or forgot. In addition to what previous posters said, I would recommend asking current student nurses about the support they get from the university, what the teaching is like and the facilities e.g Simulation suite.
    If they give advice about the personal statements, the application process and selection/interview days then take advantage of it, I took a notebook to jot down notes and referred back to it when I came to apply.
    Some universities open their simulation suites up on the open days and let you see the equipment etc, so it's worth having a look around and asking questions.
    Worth asking teachers, current students & hospital trust representatives about what will support your application too (like work experience, volunteering, extra reading).
    I found everyone to be very enthusiastic at open days and found them really helpful.
    I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for this advice it's helped me a lot and let me relax and not get anxious about the opening days

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.