Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys i applied to 12 universities for msc finance course and i got rejected by all except 1 but that accepted university was just for backup. I am really depressed and i dont know wat to do. The reason for my rejection was my undergraduate course dint have much relevant subjects and my undergraduate score was 55%. So plz suggest me wat shud i do now? Should i apply next year? If yes plz tell me how can i boost my profile more so i can get accepted into those universities who rejected me. ? Plz ur suggestions will be indeed helpful
    Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentuk123)
    Hey guys i applied to 12 universities for msc finance course and i got rejected by all except 1 but that accepted university was just for backup. I am really depressed and i dont know wat to do. The reason for my rejection was my undergraduate course dint have much relevant subjects and my undergraduate score was 55%. So plz suggest me wat shud i do now? Should i apply next year? If yes plz tell me how can i boost my profile more so i can get accepted into those universities who rejected me. ? Plz ur suggestions will be indeed helpful
    Thank you
    I'm no expert on postgrad applications, but it sounds like you either need to pick a course that more closely matches your undergrad. Or is less fussy.

For example an MBA or MSc Management probably won't mind about your undergrad content so much.

Why do you want to do MSc Finance at all? Most banking/finance grad schemes don't require an MSc anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    Just put your thread into Postgrad applications for you, I can't answer your question unfortunately.
    Dreamliner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    I'm no expert on postgrad applications, but it sounds like you either need to pick a course that more closely matches your undergrad. Or is less fussy.

For example an MBA or MSc Management probably won't mind about your undergrad content so much.

Why do you want to do MSc Finance at all? Most banking/finance grad schemes don't require an MSc anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for ur reply my undergraduate studies covered most of the management studies related subject. Reason why i m planning for msc finance and investment is bcoz i m very much interested in finance as msc finance also has a great scope in banking / corporate sector or whether its shares or equity. I really wish to gain more knowledge in finance sector and i wish to pursue it is also one of the most demanding course ? Can u plz suggest how else i can boost my profile for msc finance and investment so i can get accepted into universities next year who all rejected me?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for ur reply my undergraduate studies covered most of the management studies related subject. Reason why i m planning for msc finance and investment is bcoz i m very much interested in finance as msc finance also has a great scope in banking / corporate sector or whether its shares or equity. I really wish to gain more knowledge in finance sector and i wish to pursue it is also one of the most demanding course ? Can u plz suggest how else i can boost my profile for msc finance and investment so i can get accepted into universities next year who all rejected me?
    Without having better academics and/or less fussy universities, nope not really.

If you aren't meeting their requirements then you won't get offers.

Try different, less fussy, universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Without having better academics and/or less fussy universities, nope not really.

If you aren't meeting their requirements then you won't get offers.

Try different, less fussy, universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aww that was really more demotivating
    Anyways thank you for ur suggestion

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys i applied to 12 universities for msc finance course and i got rejected by all except 1 but that accepted university was just for backup.
    The obvious answer is to go to your backup choice.

The reason for my rejection was my undergraduate course dint have much relevant subjects and my undergraduate score was 55%.
    That's not easy to fix, and was obviously going to affect your chances for follow-on study. What was your undergraduate course? Why did you do so poorly?

IMO, you should go to your backup choice and put as much effort as possible into excelling there.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Aww that was really more demotivating
    Why? Your objective is to get a Finance MSc. If that means accepting your "insurance" offer or applying to other similar universities that have less demanding entry requirements then so be it. You can still achieve your objective.

Getting into LSE or UCL (I'm guessing your targets...) is supposed to be hard, otherwise they would accept everyone and they also would no longer be so "exclusive".

Stay with you current insurance and get started on your MSc.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    The obvious answer is to go to your backup choice.

That's not easy to fix, and was obviously going to affect your chances for follow-on study. What was your undergraduate course? Why did you do so poorly?

IMO, you should go to your backup choice and put as much effort as possible into excelling there.
    My undergraduate course was bachelor of management studies. Reason for my poor performance was during the first year i was more towards my professional course where my first year score was 46% and in last 3 I tried my level best and i scored in each sem 67-69 % but my aggregate is 55 now 😓

ReputationRep:
    I'm under the impression that finance masters are relatively competitive, particularly at good universities. Unfortunately obtaining a 2:2 will rule you out as there will be better candidates.

You may also want to work on your use of English.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Your objective is to get a Finance MSc. If that means accepting your "insurance" offer or applying to other similar universities that have less demanding entry requirements then so be it. You can still achieve your objective.

Getting into LSE or UCL (I'm guessing your targets...) is supposed to be hard, otherwise they would accept everyone and they also would no longer be so "exclusive".

Stay with you current insurance and get started on your MSc.

Good luck!
    Thank you mate . I will definitely think over it
    Btw i have an offer letter from cardiff university. Is it good? Should i really pursue ms from there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I'm under the impression that finance masters are relatively competitive, particularly at good universities. Unfortunately obtaining a 2:2 will rule you out as there will be better candidates.

You may also want to work on your use of English.
    Yes it is competitive indeed.. but i really wish to pursue that course was just asking is there anything else i can do to improve my chances more? I have also given ielts scored 7 band i do meet standard English requirement of most of the universities
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thank you mate . I will definitely think over it
    Btw i have an offer letter from cardiff university. Is it good? Should i really pursue ms from there?
    Yes it's absolutely fine. It's a well recognised university.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My undergraduate course was bachelor of management studies. Reason for my poor performance was during the first year i was more towards my professional course where my first year score was 46% and in last 3 I tried my level best and i scored in each sem 67-69 % but my aggregate is 55 now 😓
    Which university is this? Often your first year doesn't count towards your final degree classification anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Which university is this? Often your first year doesn't count towards your final degree classification anyway.
    I have completed my undergrad from university of mumbai and i does consider all the years result and makes a final aggregate result of all the three years . My result of all the three years are as follows: 1) 46% 2) 55% 3) 67%
    And aggregate is 55% and yes during application decision uk universities do consider as some of the universities rejection reason was that only and i met the Exeter university representative too and she rejected me bcoz my first year result was too low
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have completed my undergrad from university of mumbai and i does consider all the years result and makes a final aggregate result of all the three years . My result of all the three years are as follows: 1) 46% 2) 55% 3) 67%
    And aggregate is 55% and yes during application decision uk universities do consider as some of the universities rejection reason was that only and i met the Exeter university representative too and she rejected me bcoz my first year result was too low
    So take up your Cardiff offer

ReputationRep:
    So take up your Cardiff offer
    Ok thank you for ur suggestion it has really helped me to decide to greater extent 🙃

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.