Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wrong exam given and completed ... What can i do!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I am a student studying with the Open University. The wrong exam paper was given to myself, which was completed at my home with an invigilator. At home as i have learning difficulties ... I completed the 4 hour exam, only after in short for the invigilator to realise i completed the wrong exam paper!

What options do i have available to myself? The invigilator said i will likely be assessed on my course work through the year - which i passed.

The course is Business management.

The university tried to get me to fill in a form today - i'm guessing to resit the exam probably in September! I'm not happy with that at all. Said my piece to the lady over the phone regarding not interested in sitting the exam in September ... She'll get back to me tomorrow after speaking with the exam department.

What are my options?

Regards
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by hugoluca)
    Hello.

I am a student studying with the Open University. The wrong exam paper was given to myself, which was completed at my home with an invigilator. At home as i have learning difficulties ... I completed the 4 hour exam, only after in short for the invigilator to realise i completed the wrong exam paper!

What options do i have available to myself? The invigilator said i will likely be assessed on my course work through the year - which i passed.

The course is Business management.

The university tried to get me to fill in a form today - i'm guessing to resit the exam probably in September! I'm not happy with that at all. Said my piece to the lady over the phone regarding not interested in sitting the exam in September ... She'll get back to me tomorrow after speaking with the exam department.

What are my options?

Regards
    At what stage did you realise it was the wrong exam? Didnt you read the front page and didnt it have the name of the course/ module?

Not sure how culpable the invigilator might be because unclear what role they played in picking up the paper.

No idea what procedures they have in place. If it was part course work and part exam they may have the facility to mark you just from the course work. youd need to check the OU rules. If they dont have that facility then youd have to resit, although I doubt that could be before the next scheduled exam period.

Your options are to complain and listen but theres nothing you can do to force them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    At what stage did you realise it was the wrong exam? Didnt you read the front page and didnt it have the name of the course/ module?

Not sure how culpable the invigilator might be because unclear what role they played in picking up the paper.

No idea what procedures they have in place. If it was part course work and part exam they may have the facility to mark you just from the course work. youd need to check the OU rules. If they dont have that facility then youd have to resit, although I doubt that could be before the next scheduled exam period.

Your options are to complain and listen but theres nothing you can do to force them.
    I did realize the B205 for a second. And said to the invigilator so you want me to do this paper and he said yes. My module was B203, i noticed after the exam finished on his other papers it said B203 on so many other forms etc... So i put it down to an oversight on his part. Myself i slept little the night before and in the morning after the fella said yes do the exam, i flipped the sheet and then it's only questions to the exam - no more mention of B205.

It was mostly course work 6 assignments through the year, and at the end an exam which supposed to count for 50% of the total marks.

I really don't want to do this exam in September - as i will have to keep studying and learning for added months. And it's a general selection of questions from so many business functions in context books.

Thanks for your input - lets see what happens tomorrow
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by hugoluca)
    I did realize the B205 for a second. And said to the invigilator so you want me to do this paper and he said yes. My module was B203, i noticed after the exam finished on his other papers it said B203 on so many other forms etc... So i put it down to an oversight on his part. Myself i slept little the night before and in the morning after the fella said yes do the exam, i flipped the sheet and then it's only questions to the exam - no more mention of B205.

It was mostly course work 6 assignments through the year, and at the end an exam which supposed to count for 50% of the total marks.

I really don't want to do this exam in September - as i will have to keep studying and learning for added months. And it's a general selection of questions from so many business functions in context books.

Thanks for your input - lets see what happens tomorrow
    I would try and hold out making the point:

They delivered the wrong paper.- Not your fault.
    You pointed out the error.
    They insisted you do it.

All you have done is comply, so you shouldnt be prejudiced by that.

Whats the difference between B205 and B203?

You were still able to do it?

As pointed out they may have a way of dealing with it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i was able to complete as it had similarity to more so B204 module, and the first part and questions of the module related somewhat well to B203. Seeing you have multiple choice on which questions to answer in the part, i selected the questions that seemed relating, easier, or more practical to answer ...
    B205 exam was big on entrepreneurial questioning for Part 2, and that was a big part of what i actually chose in B204 - entrepreneurial/family business/self-employed.

Don't get me wrong i was scratching my head thinking how to answer particular questions, more so later in the assignment. So i just interpreted practically what something could mean.

I have highlighted your points today on what to say to the exam board representative from the OU over the phone. She'll have to get back to me tomorrow again as the lady doesn't have the information from them yet - though i'm sure she'll let them know what i've had to say. And she tried to get me to sign that non or discretionary form.

ReputationRep:
    i don't get how you can do an exam and not realise that it's the wrong paper because surely you would struggle to answer the questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alimastudies)
    i don't get how you can do an exam and not realise that it's the wrong paper because surely you would struggle to answer the questions?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I totally agree with you ^

How can anyone sit the incorrect paper when you have been studying for a module for 10-12 weeks over a typical university semester??

Unless the institution you are studying in have 2 courses that have very similar content and run the assessments in the same hall..

But still... I would be really careful next time you sit an exam to double check course code and course title, and check the questions to see if they correspond with what you would expect... (this is directed at OP!).
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by alimastudies)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its all in the thread. He did realise and drew it to their attention but the invigilator asked him to sit it.

OP i was thinking the invig should have contacted OU and they could have e-mailed the exam paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Its all in the thread. He did realise and drew it to their attention but the invigilator asked him to sit it.

OP i was thinking the invig should have contacted OU and they could have e-mailed the exam paper.
    Yes its all in the thread if you read before commenting ...

You are very right i suppose the invigilator could have done that. Though at the end of the exam when he noticed, he called the OU and said someone put the wrong paper into his files etc etc. Mentioned he would write a report and submit as usual, apologized, told me it's likely they will assess me now on the course work through the year - i hope. Then i can get to year three with no more mix ups.
    If he noticed at the beginning the incorrect exam paper i would hope he would have then requested the proper exam paper, instead of acknowledging me and saying do the paper yes. And in the end i don't think he'd want to sit for another 4 hours while i resit the exam on the spot. I was pretty taxed also

Through this year some OU modules codes have changed, and the end of some specific business modules are occurring. So i'm aware of different module codes assigned to chosen programs of study. This flashed to me for a quick second also - like an 'ah,' after invigilator told me its the right paper by saying yes. Maybe something to do with that a seconds thought. Then it's "okay you ready to begin, start"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.