Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Plans to open a gaming bar questions and feedback requested Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I am currently in the later planning phase and have found a location for the bar already but would like to gather some feedback on what I feel by my most frequent and enjoyable customers (hint its you guys/gals).

I was hoping that you could answer some questions so that I can make sure I hit the right targets in terms of getting you guys in the shop and coming back for more.

Before we get to that let me tell you a little bit about the bar first so we are all on the same age.

. We want this to be a gaming bar not just an internet cafe so this will include beer on tap, themed gaming cocktails and bottled drinks like Cider.
    . The bar will focus on making sure its accessible for all gamers with a causal section in one room and a more serious E-Sports section in another room.
    . There will be a room just for board and card games as well as a DND room which will be themed to help with immersion.
    . We will be running lots of local tournements with prizes and leaderboards for specific games.
    . We will be showing live events for large esports games such as LOL, DOTA 2, CSGO, Overwatch etc
    . We will be offering lock-in nights where you play a flat rate and play from doors close till doors open (unless you really need to leave)

On top of all of this we are looking at ways of selling merchandise from popular games as well as a small section of pop culture products. We will be open to ideas and feedback that any of you have to make sure we get the best possible experience to you guys.

Now lets move onto the questions:

Q1 - Do you think £3 an hour is a fair price, if not what do you think is?

Q2 - Would a membership card offering perks for frequent visitors interest you?

Q3 - Do you enjoying watching live E-Sports and gaming events?

Q4 - How important is it that the bar runs competitions?

Q5 - Would you play overnight in lock-ins?

Q6 - Would you bring your own peripherals or would you prefer to use supplied gear?

Q7 - If you visited the bar would it be alone or with a group of friends?

Q8 - Do you think you would use the board games/TGC/DND area?

If you have any questions or feedback please do let me know and I will be happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    where would this be held?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Q1- I can only speak from personal experience, but every gaming cafe/bar that's attempted to open in my city has quickly folded because people don't like paying hourly fees when they can game at home, and every bar that I've come across that has been successful has had an open-use policy on their gaming facilities for paying customers. I would strongly recommend doing some proper market research on this before opening with a pricing policy that could potentially alienate your core market and be very difficult to recover from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KFrostMU)
    where would this be held?
    Portsmouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Q1- I can only speak from personal experience, but every gaming cafe/bar that's attempted to open in my city has quickly folded because people don't like paying hourly fees when they can game at home, and every bar that I've come across that has been successful has had an open-use policy on their gaming facilities for paying customers. I would strongly recommend doing some proper market research on this before opening with a pricing policy that could potentially alienate your core market and be very difficult to recover from.
    Thanks for the feedback!

I am currently leaning towards either a pay once at door model or just free entry and make money via food and drinks.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkillfulMmd)
    Thanks for the feedback!

I am currently leaning towards either a pay once at door model or just free entry and make money via food and drinks.
    Yeah I'd definitely start looking into the pricing models of as many other bars around the country and see what seems to be working. This isn't a new concept, so bad ideas will have been weeded out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yeah I'd definitely start looking into the pricing models of as many other bars around the country and see what seems to be working. This isn't a new concept, so bad ideas will have been weeded out.
    Yeah, I've been to few and they seem all do things a little differently. I think free entry and machine use is the best plan when combined with drinks/food as most people will need consume a lot while playing.

I don't want to turn people away with crazy pricing but of course turning a profit is crucial for keep the bar open and hopefully expanding rooms/features. Do you have any other feedback you would be willing to share.

ReputationRep:

Yes.

Depends on the perks, but yes, just as a general answer.

Not particularly. Though local events/ tournaments would be a fun watch.

It would be cool, but not something I'd miss if they weren't there.

Not sure what that is.

Q6 - Would you bring your own peripherals or would you prefer to use supplied gear?

I'd be up for bringing controllers for relevant consoles or even games. Though I think supplying it and giving people some money off or something if they bring their own is fair (Like carrier bag charges in shops vs. bringing your own bag).

Both. I don't drink alcohol but this is the kind of thing I'd go to because it sounds fun.

Yeah. I've long-wanted to get into traditional tabletop gaming, so I'd definitely up for DND.

Shame it's in Portsmouth though, I'm up in the North. Good luck to you anyway, this sounds like a fantastic concept.

Also a side note, but what consoles are you looking at getting? I think getting some system-linked 360's for a good ol' BTB game of Halo 3 on Sandtrap is really just mandatory at this point. Good times...

ReputationRep:
    Having played DOTA for over 10 years, I can think of no worse combination than gamer's and alcohol :rofl:.

Don't want drunk noobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmCalledJacob)

Yes.

Depends on the perks, but yes, just as a general answer.

Not particularly. Though local events/ tournaments would be a fun watch.

It would be cool, but not something I'd miss if they weren't there.

Not sure what that is.

I'd be up for bringing controllers for relevant consoles or even games. Though I think supplying it and giving people some money off or something if they bring their own is fair (Like carrier bag charges in shops vs. bringing your own bag).

Both. I don't drink alcohol but this is the kind of thing I'd go to because it sounds fun.

Yeah. I've long-wanted to get into traditional tabletop gaming, so I'd definitely up for DND.

Shame it's in Portsmouth though, I'm up in the North. Good luck to you anyway, this sounds like a fantastic concept.

Also a side note, but what consoles are you looking at getting? I think getting some system-linked 360's for a good ol' BTB game of Halo 3 on Sandtrap is really just mandatory at this point. Good times...
    Thanks for the answers massively appreciated. if your ever the area let me know and Ill give you a free day pass with a free soft drink included as you dont drink

In terms of consoles we will be offering a retro corner a last gen corner and now/next gen so yet 360's would be included for some LAN action!

ReputationRep:

I'm not a business man, but the suggestion about free entry is more appealing purely on the basis that otherwise I can play games at home. Maybe think of a "Premium" service for returning customers (I think cinemas reduce food/drink/tickets prices for those that subscribe?).

So yeah, see my answer to Q1.

I do.

I'd say fairly. Not necessarily for my own interest, but because many people are competitive and it gives them a reason to turn up.

Perhaps.

Both.

The latter.

Sure, always up for trying new things!

I hope that helps, and good luck man!!!

ReputationRep:

Whether it's fair depends on the selection of games that are on offer and the quality of the PC builds.

I think this would be a good idea.

Not personally.

It'd attract customers.

Not personally, but I'm sure a lot of serious gamers would love this sort of thing on a weekend.

I'd prefer to use my own things that I'm comfortable with that haven't had other people's hands all over them.

With a mate.

Q8 - Do you think you would use the board games/TGC/DND area

Nah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkillfulMmd)
    We will be offering lock-in nights where you play a flat rate and play from doors close till doors open (unless you really need to leave)
    This needs rewording tbh. Not sure people would be happy with literally being locked in unless they have a good enough reason to leave. The policy should be, that you pay the flat rate for the night; nobody is allowed to enter after the time at which the doors are closed; you are free to leave any time you want, but there will be no refund on entry fees for leaving early once entry is admitted.

Maybe have it so that there's a window of time that people can arrive in just before closing time to pay for overnight entry, or have them pre-book so they can turn up after closing time and confirm their name and booking number over an intercom or something like that.

ReputationRep:

I would rather be charged a timed/membership fee for the services I use, not for just being in the building. It might, even work out to be a similar cost either way but I would hate to be relaxing and in the back of my mind thinking "If I don't leave in the next 5 minutes, I'll be charged £5 extra" - or arguing with staff because our watches are set 30 seconds apart. That pricing system would put me off personally.

Probably. Well, depends what the perks are.

Absolutely.

It would certainly keep me coming back, if only just to spectate.

Probably not. Just because I'd rather be in home, in bed.

Both

Group of friends

Certainly.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.