x Turn on thread page Beta

Always something to ruin the day watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Here are my GCSE results:

English: A*
    English Lit: A
    Maths: B
    Science Double Award: B (AB but had to be rounded to B)
    History: A
    Geography: A*
    French: A*
    German A
    Art: F!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I was predicted a B in Art but expected an A*. In the 10 hour exam which I sat in April, one of the teachers said that it looked like a masterpiece and said that it should definitely get top marks.
    I did tonnes of Art prep work and all my coursework was completed to a 'high standard' said the art teacher.

My mum has contacted the OCR exam board about this art grade and they looked it up and said that I had done really badly in the exam, achieving less than an F apparently.

SO WHY THE HELL DID I GET AN F!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????
    WHAT IS GOING ON!?

ReputationRep:
    Oh No! I'm sooo sorry to hear about this! It must be awful to do really well at school with all the practices and all but on the real test achieve a really low score.

I dont really know why you got an F, but there must be more to it than OCR are letting on.

Sorry to sound rude but because you said:

My mum has contacted the OCR exam board about this art grade and they looked it up and said that I had done really badly in the exam, achieving less than an F apparently.
    then maybe your actual test (which you got less than an F) contributed to your coursework (or whatever you want to call it) a great deal which resulted in your grade to be lowered a great deal?

Just an idea n e ways!

C YA!

ReputationRep:
    I still don't understand it. If you could just see what I did for that ten hour exam, you would not give it an F!!! I am so angry! I am going to take this much further!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, mistakes are made and hopefully this will be corrected (if you art is as good as you and your teachers think). It's good that you've contacted the exam board already and have got things moving...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as I said, I am planning to take this along way and my mum is right behind me.

I mean, you just know something is wrong when you compare the art result to all the others.

By the way - for that 10 hour art exam, I did an A2 sized drawing of an oak tree. It took 4 and a half hours to draw, 4 hours to paint and the rest of the time was the finishing touches. I worked SO hard on that piece and to get an F on it just disgusts me.

ReputationRep:
    Well I just hope you get the grade you deserve (an A*)

Make sure you tell us what happens when this is all sorted out!

Bye!

Stefan

(Original post by JamesH)
    Here are my GCSE results:

English: A*
    English Lit: A
    Maths: B
    Science Double Award: B (AB but had to be rounded to B)
    History: A
    Geography: A*
    French: A*
    German A
    Art: F!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I was predicted a B in Art but expected an A*. In the 10 hour exam which I sat in April, one of the teachers said that it looked like a masterpiece and said that it should definitely get top marks.
    I did tonnes of Art prep work and all my coursework was completed to a 'high standard' said the art teacher.

SO WHY THE HELL DID I GET AN F!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????
    WHAT IS GOING ON!?
    that really doesn't sound right at all. Even a really really really awful exam shouldn't pull your grade down that far with coursework that has been predicted a B! I always thought that for coursework to be pulled down that far you would have had to of just given in a crap final piece in the exam with no supporting work, because the supporting work (prep) is about 50% isn't it?To have a awful grade for your exam piece you would have needed to have missed out a crucial section of the prep like showing development or critical awareness. you didn't did you..just checking..i am sure that you didn't. Good luck with getting it re-marked although don't get your hopes up too high for an A* just incase they don't go all the way when remarking..hopefully if you deserve it they will..

ReputationRep:
    Awww, bad luck mate.

Follow it up, hopefully they've made some mistake and it should get sorted out. The rest of your results are fab though

ReputationRep:
    Aww, I suggest you go for a remark.

I got an A in my art, which is what I was predicted. I'm so pleased. Very few people get A*'s. Many people n my year are antastic at art and got A's. I think you have to be something really special to produce A*tandard work. I hope you get your marks cange dto what u deserve, sounds like you worked hard.

(Original post by Lil !*!)

I got an A in my art, which is what I was predicted. I'm so pleased. Very few people get A*'s. Many people n my year are antastic at art and got A's. I think you have to be something really special to produce A*tandard work. I hope you get your marks cange dto what u deserve, sounds like you worked hard.
    many people in my art class got near full marks yet our school received no A*s.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty annoyed actually with my art grade as well. I got an A* for my mock exam, and "faultless coursework" (the words of my teacher) and was predicted an A*. I got an A. I'm still happy with that, but it seems a little strange since my exam went quite well I thought- it had a lot of symbolism which I explained in sketchbook, but perhaps the examiners didn't pick up on it. It was all to do with the symbolism of colours used in South Asian clothes and showed how certain objects were related to my life. It was a lot of work and I'm pissed off I didn't get higher. My teacher said it should get A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil !*!)

My best friend got an A* in art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's amazing at it and deserves it so much she's worked so hard!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they marked the wrong side of the paper?

ReputationRep:
    Easy. Art GCSE isn't just about producing a masterpiece. It is far more concerned with explanation and critical evaluation of your work. It's not important that it looks good, you need to be able to say how you arrived at it, what ideas you had, that sort of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    The procedure with marking Art is very different to other subjects. Your teacher will mark your coursework and your final piece, and produce a grade and mark for all your work. After this, a moderator from the exam board (OCR in your case) will visit your school and look at select pupil's work (they look at one from the top end that has been given near full marks, one from mid-range and one from low range) and if they are happy with the marks of the few they see, then all the marks remain. However, if the marks of the few the moderator has seen are too high or too low the moderator will look at all the others and change the marks accordingly. Therefore, your teacher will have given you a grade before the moderator came in - ask your teacher what grade he gave you (as you say, an A or A*) - and for it to come out as an F the moderator would have changed it from the A down to an F; ask your art teacher about this as it seems ridiculous, perhaps the moderator will have explained the decision to your art teacher.

Secondly, how are other people's marks in your class? Has everyone seemed to get the marks they were predicted or near enough, or have there been other dramatic reductions? If you are on your own there is a likely possibilty that a mistake has been made, if however a few people's marks are very low then there must be something the moderator wasn't happy when visiting your school.

Personally it sounds ridiculous to me, and I can't imagine the down right annoyance you must be feeling; I do Art and I realise how important and personal a piece of art you have created is to you, and there's nothing greater than spending 10 hours on a piece and standing back from it and feeling satisfied with your work. However, there's nothing worse than getting an F for it!

(Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Easy. Art GCSE isn't just about producing a masterpiece. It is far more concerned with explanation and critical evaluation of your work. It's not important that it looks good, you need to be able to say how you arrived at it, what ideas you had, that sort of stuff.
    yes but at GCSE you would have to completely neglect all of these sections and just hand in a final piece to drastically drop grades by that much. And i am guessing that if the teacher predicted a B the candidate must have completed all these sections in the coursework and therefore would have the sense not to leave them out of the exam work...i was under the impression that a teacher wouldn't predict a grade on the basis of final pieces because well they would be a pretty bad teacher then. So who knows what has happened really.. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    That does sound totally ridiculous. Definitely get it looked into. To get an F on the exam when you did so well in everything else seems ridiculous. What mark did you get for your prep work do you know? And the writing about your prep work? They all contribute so much and for you to have got an F then in the exam is just crazy. Look at what basis the moderators are marking the actual exam piece on... and see if you can figure out how it came out so low.

Good luck on sorting this out.

(Original post by glance)
    I'm pretty annoyed actually with my art grade as well. I got an A* for my mock exam, and "faultless coursework" (the words of my teacher) and was predicted an A*. I got an A. I'm still happy with that, but it seems a little strange since my exam went quite well I thought- it had a lot of symbolism which I explained in sketchbook, but perhaps the examiners didn't pick up on it. It was all to do with the symbolism of colours used in South Asian clothes and showed how certain objects were related to my life. It was a lot of work and I'm pissed off I didn't get higher. My teacher said it should get A*.
    marking when it comes to art is wierd. As i said before my friend recieved really really high marks and should have got an A* but didn't. It all depends on if your work gets moderated and if the moderator is not happy with the mark given to one candidate often all the marks get altered. Also my teacher mentioned to me about sketchbooks and if a moderator has been working all day and comes to a sketchbook even if it is brilliant often pages will be missed out. After all the moderator gets very little time to look over masses of art work, when really longer should be spent on each piece.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.