Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Russia will consider all US military aircraft over Syria as 'targets' Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40329036

This follows the US shooting down a Syrian military plane on Sunday
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Except US planes are quite frankly superior to their Russian counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    Russian here, our president/government doesn't have the balls to even attempt a conflict with USA. Those are just words.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by cbreef)
    Its actually an interesting development> I dont think they will shoot down any US manned planes, but they might a drone. Obviously one side is lying. The US states they did warn the plane but nothing happened.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Its actually an interesting development> I dont think they will shoot down any US manned planes, but they might a drone. Obviously one side is lying. The US states they did warn the plane but nothing happened.
    I believe that bit at least. The Russians are known to practice radio silence like this.
    • Very Important Poster

I believe that bit at least. The Russians are known to practice radio silence like this.
    If it wasnt for all the attacks in the UK then this would be right at the top of the news. the Syrians are also claiming it was 20km away from it position. What I find fascinating is one side is telling big porkies.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Nah. Sabre rattling to save face with both Putin's Syrian allies and also for the Russian domestic audience.

Behind the scenes, communication and co-ordination will continue, but both sides will be more cautious.

Turkey shot down a Russian plane don't forget and Russia has not shot down any Turkish jets or bombed Turkey.

Move along now, nothing to see here.

ReputationRep:
    Both the US and Russia are bad as each other. Both dropping bombs and killing innocent people on a daily basis. I don't see the Russians doing anything to the US as it will only pick smaller nations to inflict their terrorist acts. As for Trump the cracker he just wants to get in bed with Putin.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    Russian here, our president/government doesn't have the balls to even attempt a conflict with USA. Those are just words.
    Because they would lose... badly.

ReputationRep:
    Neither party needs or wants a war. Trump is an isolationist with little experience in foreign policy and Putin is simply appeasing his hardline Russian backing.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, Russia would get fu*ked so hard if they tried to get it on with the US air force

ReputationRep:
    US has done more to target Syrian army than the terrorists they fight

Trump is an orange buffoon who has no idea what he is doing just like Obama

ReputationRep:
    Are they? which ones?

The only one I can think of having an actual advantage is the F-22.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash8991)
    Lol, Russia would get fu*ked so hard if they tried to get it on with the US air force
    Yeah...makes sense..one can see where that attitude got them, in Korea...in Vietnam..in the former Yugoslavia and so on...
    Today's Russia ain't 90's Russia...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, sure they would.. and how has the US exactly prevented Russia from securing their interests? Georgia...Crimea...Ukraine, Iran, Syria..food for the thought.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miguel22Aresta)
    Are they? which ones?

The only one I can think of having an actual advantage is the F-22.
    F22, F35, FA18... all of them really...

(Original post by Miguel22Aresta)
    Hmm, sure they would.. and how has the US exactly prevented Russia from securing their interests? Georgia...Crimea...Ukraine, Iran, Syria..food for the thought.
    How is this relevant to the fact the US has a far better military?

ReputationRep:
    Quite. After all, the United States has a pristine record of telling the truth vis-à-vis its military and foreign policy.

ReputationRep:
    F22, F35, FA18... all of them really...

How is this relevant to the fact the US has a far better military?
    Alright...technologically they are overall superior, no doubts. Does that many they always make superior aircraft? No. Does that mean their doctrine is adequate and realistc? Hell no..or maybe if you're taking on a 3rd grade army..after being hit by UN embargos/sanctions for years (sounds familiar)
    Additionally, I see you have little knowledge on the subject or how these things may even be irrelevant on the battlefield, whether they are true or not...moving on... you mentioned the F/A-18...which was in its humble beginnings a great design...ruined by deficient doctrine and...of course..money.
    Have you ever heard of the F-111 "Aardvark" ? It tells this story again and better than me.
    The F-15...the best aircraft bar none in the 70's ..once again ruined by doctrinal nonsense. Moreover, that legendary aircraft has exhausted its potential now..Silent Eagle? They'll have to bribe harder to pull that contract...
    Funny you didn't mention the F-16...their greatest achievement (believe it or not)..and that fighter in particular proves how the military Aerospace biz works in the US and how the moneymakers have consistently downgraded their own aircraft for money and more contracts in the long run. To make things worse their doctrine ruins the aircraft and their role further more.
    and THAT is how their aircraft (the current arsenal) is, in fact, not superior (in general) to the Russian one if we only account for qualitative parameters.
    You see..it's not like Russians don't like money but things work a bit different there in a way that they can *almost* furnish the best they can despite lagging behind the US/Western Europe in terms of technology (for the most part). As for the rest of the question..Well, what does it matter if you have an amazing red Ferrari if you don't drive it?
    There used to be a time when the US really built amazing hardware, but over the decades it has been declining very sharply and today the whole military industrial complex is about fulfilling military contracts with a lot of zeros on them ($) and ironically almost 0 usefulness to the end client (NAVY, USAF, ARMY, etc) These are my two cents on it, don't take personal man.
    I think both countries have built kickass aircraft (of any type) and some mediocre ones as well. I know both countries have world class scientists and engineers and that's all I can say about it..

ReputationRep:
    PS: This is only regarding the USAF, the rest (ARMY) is a nightmare/joke I won't bother telling..except for the US NAVY..but I don't know much about it.

ReputationRep:
    You're assuming that Russia would use one of its jets to shoot down an American jet, when it would make more sense to use the S-400.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.