Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Russia will consider all US military aircraft over Syria as 'targets' Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miguel22Aresta)
    Alright...technologically they are overall superior, no doubts.

Additionally, I see you have little knowledge on the subject or how these things may even be irrelevant on the battlefield, whether they are true or not...moving on... you mentioned the F/A-18...which was in its humble beginnings a great design...ruined by deficient doctrine and...of course..money.

The F-15...the best aircraft bar none in the 70's ..once again ruined by doctrinal nonsense. Moreover, that legendary aircraft has exhausted its potential now..Silent Eagle? They'll have to bribe harder to pull that contract...

Funny you didn't mention the F-16...their greatest achievement (believe it or not)..and that fighter in particular proves how the military Aerospace biz works in the US and how the moneymakers have consistently downgraded their own aircraft for money and more contracts in the long run. To make things worse their doctrine ruins the aircraft and their role further more.

and THAT is how their aircraft (the current arsenal) is, in fact, not superior (in general) to the Russian one if we only account for qualitative parameters.

There used to be a time when the US really built amazing hardware, but over the decades it has been declining very sharply and today the whole military industrial complex is about fulfilling military contracts with a lot of zeros on them ($) and ironically almost 0 usefulness to the end client (NAVY, USAF, ARMY, etc) These are my two cents on it, don't take personal man.
    I think both countries have built kickass aircraft (of any type) and some mediocre ones as well. I know both countries have world class scientists and engineers and that's all I can say about it..
    1) Yes, kind of my point. The F35 in particular is miles ahead of everything else.

2) Yet the FA 18 remains the US' main strike aircraft.

3) I agree (F15)

4) I didn't mention it because its days are coming to an end - at least in US service - commercially it did very well.

5) If anything, the US actually benefits from the fierce competition surrounding their defence contracts. Though there are problems with it too.

6) I don't doubt that the Russians make good planes, I just think the Americans with their ridiculous military budget are ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    You're assuming that Russia would use one of its jets to shoot down an American jet, when it would make more sense to use the S-400.
    As of the latest on-site coverage (by TV Zvezda) they have the "S-400", the "S-300" (PMU2), the "Pantsyr-S2" (or is it the SM?) ...couldn't see the "Tor" but I would bet it's there as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    1) Yes, kind of my point. The F35 in particular is miles ahead of everything else.

2) Yet the FA 18 remains the US' main strike aircraft.

3) I agree (F15)

4) I didn't mention it because its days are coming to an end - at least in US service - commercially it did very well.

5) If anything, the US actually benefits from the fierce competition surrounding their defence contracts. Though there are problems with it too.

6) I don't doubt that the Russians make good planes, I just think the Americans with their ridiculous military budget are ahead.
    1) Technologically, yes, all novelty..as for performance/role? I think not... but we'll see..
    2) In the NAVY though... but,in general terms you can bet your money on the F-16 instead
    4) That's not positive though...
    5)Except it doesn't work like that, in practice...what competition by the way? It's all Boeing/LM now, the best companies like we knew them are long gone...
    6) Well mate, have you read what I wrote? Maybe you should hear Jason Chaffetz on how the DoD actually spends the absurd budget you mention.
    On the other hand, I wonder what the Russian Armed Forces would be with 600bln per year....realistically speaking, corruption is a big problem in Russia as well but still...
    In the 90's the Russian Air Force was laughable (in terms of modern share, training and state of their airframes) but while the US spend their time on absurd projects and the usual business the Russians (designers, engineers and so on) were waiting for the funds to get some excellent ideas off the drawing board (mainly for the Flanker and Fulcrum variants).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    5) If anything, the US actually benefits from the fierce competition surrounding their defence contracts. Though there are problems with it too
    The problems outweigh the advantages: just take a look at your beloved F-35.

Poll
Would you rather
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.