Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Hate how totalitarian we are becoming on free speech and irony Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's quite disturbing to me to see, over the course of my life, as I am in my thirties, how freedom of speech and irony is disappearing gradually in a 'salami slicer' type manner.

https://www.indexoncensorship.org/20...aab-interview/

I watched this the other day and found it mildly haunting when I consider the future and how things used to be, and how mainstream and accepted it is to conflate religious criticism with race hatred, and how scary a gradual, incremental, yet consistent change can be when you rewind quickly to the past and contrast. I am now particularly aware of the difference between myself and younger generations growing up not knowing anything else, this is of course true on all issues like privacy and the web, but this one is the single most troubling. There are many who are literally indoctrinated and I am sick of how no other faith gets this treatment or provisions, its complete lack of give and take or gratitude, its aggressive arrogance and disingenuous manipulation of victimhood where required. I know many people are awake but is it enough and it is too late?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqiya

For example, the above concept is not known or taken seriously by most people.

The explanation for why it is one single religion that keeps being misinterpreted and 'perverted' every time, to justify the murder of innocents, cannot be provided as it defies logic. We have no explanation for the polling revealing significant numbers of sympathizers, and the apparent inability of the community to stop it. We have CNN staging fake Muslim protests in London, I'm not making this up this is verifiable fact, they have been forced to admit it. How can we this far down the line, after Rushdie, Holland, constant terror, and have mainstream politicians saying we don't know why it is, or it's nothing to do with this Islam? When the evidence is right there in scripture? We have Nuttall praising the Muslim community, saying he wants integration and that most Muslims make a great contribution, but talking frankly about the problem with a minority, and these 'liberal' politicians imply it's the next incarnation of fascism. It's pathetic, we know who the fascist are, but white Europeans who are either sociopaths or pathologically self flagellating keep doing it.

I really feel we are in trouble as a civilization and the demographics and intentions are continually underestimated, as is the power of Islam's simplistic certitude in an increasingly confused and choice-ridden west.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Especially regarding the one specific religion, you know what I'm talking about.
    I made an innocuous and ironic comment on here which would be mild ironic gentle mocking, and was issued a warning about religious and racial hatred. It's quite disturbing to me to see, over the course of my life, as I am in my thirties, how freedom of speech and irony is disappearing gradually in a 'salami slicer' type manner.

https://www.indexoncensorship.org/20...aab-interview/

I watched this the other day and found it mildly haunting when I consider the future and how things used to be, and how mainstream and accepted it is to conflate religious criticism with race hatred, and how scary a gradual incremental, yet consistent change can be when you rewind quickly to the past, in your head or otherwise, and contrast. I am now particularly aware of the difference between myself and younger generations growing up not knowing anything else, this is of course true on all issues like privacy and the web, but this one is the single most troubling. There are many who are literally indoctrinated and I am sick of how no other faith gets this treatment or provisions, it's complete lack of give and take or gratitude, it's aggressive arrogance and disingenuous manipulation of victimhood where required. I know many people are awake but is it enough and it is too late?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqiya

For example, the above concept is not known or taken seriously by most people.

The explanation for why it is one single religion that keeps being misinterpreted and 'perverted' every time, to justify the murder of innocents, cannot be provided as it defies logic. We have no explanation for the polling revealing significant numbers of sympathizers, and the apparent inability of the community to stop it. We have CNN staging fake Muslim protests in London, I'm not making this up this is verifiable fact, they have been forced to admit it. How can we this far down the line, Rushdie, Holland, constant terror, and have mainstream politicians saying we don't know why it is, or it's nothing to do with this Islam? When the evidence is right there in scripture? We have Nuttall praising the Muslim community, saying he wants integration and that most Muslims make a great contribution, but talking frankly about the problem, and these 'liberal' politicians imply it's the next Hitler. It's pathetic.

I really feel we are in trouble as a civilization and the demographics and intentions are continually underestimated, as is the power of simplistic certitude offered in an increasingly confused and choice-ridden west.
    So by this logic, the 'West' is somehow lesser because it's not as racist as it once was?

ReputationRep:
    Oh give it up with the taqiyya crap as if it is some sort of undercover muslim conspiracy to fool the masses.
    Most people don't even know what taqiyya is but they know that the only time you can lie about your faith is when you are about to be killed. Literally. That's it. Lying to prevent losing your life. Even though that is allowed, there are many examples of people who'dface the sword than lie.

It's really quite foolish when people bring this up in arguments...in fact...
    Spoiler:
    Show

I might be doing taqiyya now!

ReputationRep:
    Someone gets a forum warning, and goes full blown-out wacko :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Too dumb,didnt read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friffinghell)
    So by this logic, the 'West' is somehow lesser because it's not as racist as it once was?
    No, that's absolute rubbish and you haven't processed anything I actually wrote. I said criticism of ideology and belief systems is being stamped on in a totalitarian manner and deliberately conflated with race hatred, for (to my mind) sinister and opportunistic purposes. You've just actually provided a sublimely perfect example of the complete intransigence and indoctrination I'm talking about.

The mess we're in is because of the conflation of race and ideology, we now have the horrifyingly regressive situation where infantile and aggressive people play the victim card and are pandered to as they try and silence free debate and speech, and the right to criticize ideas, by deliberately conflating an ethnic identity with a belief system. The fact that this gradual obliteration of free speech in order to please absolutists and totalitarians is being portrayed as progressive, whilst they live in denial that this ideology is the opposite of pluralistic and tolerant, and that the foundation of liberty is free speech and debate, is all very very sad.

ReputationRep:
    No, that's absolute rubbish and you haven't processed anything I actually wrote. I said criticism of ideology and belief systems is being stamped on in a totalitarian manner and deliberately conflated with race hatred, for (to my mind) sinister and opportunistic purposes. You've just actually provided a sublimely perfect example of the complete intransigence and indoctrination I'm talking about.

The mess we're in is because of the conflation of race and ideology, we now have the horrifyingly regressive situation where infantile and aggressive people play the victim card and are pandered to as they try and silence free debate and speech, and the right to criticize ideas, by deliberately conflating an ethnic identity with a belief system. The fact that this gradual obliteration of free speech in order to please absolutists and totalitarians is being portrayed as progressive, whilst they live in denial that this ideology is the opposite of pluralistic and tolerant, and that the foundation of liberty is free speech and debate, is all very very sad.
    I couldn't process what you wrote as it was garbled nonsense.

It is possible to criticise an ideology without being offensive. You clearly haven't found that sweet spot.

The mess we are in is because you are being called out on your 'ideas' and conflating that with obliteration of free speech. You can say what you want- but if you're talking sh1te then expect to be told so.

ReputationRep:

*Very* well said!

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't process what you wrote as it was garbled nonsense.

It is possible to criticise an ideology without being offensive. You clearly haven't found that sweet spot.

The mess we are in is because you are being called out on your 'ideas' and conflating that with obliteration of free speech. You can say what you want- but if you're talking sh1te then expect to be told so.
    Really? I understood it perfectly.

As an aside, you can't have "is it offensive?" Be the bar by which you measure whether speech is or is not acceptable. Offence is entirely a property of someone's response to speech, there's nothing inherently offensive about any speech. So what we're saying here is that if someone does not like what you are saying you should be prevented from saying it.

(Original post by mashbbk)
    Someone gets a forum warning, and goes full blown-out wacko :rofl:
    If you think this is bad go read his other posts.This guy is going down a very dark path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Really? I understood it perfectly.

As an aside, you can't have "is it offensive?" Be the bar by which you measure whether speech is or is not acceptable. Offence is entirely a property of someone's response to speech, there's nothing inherently offensive about any speech. So what we're saying here is that if someone does not like what you are saying you should be prevented from saying it.

You can make an offensive speech. You can apply it as a property to a designated subject. Many speeches are made with the intention to offend.

Offence can be subjective. But it can also be objective.

ReputationRep:
    You can make an offensive speech. You can apply it as a property to a designated subject. Many speeches are made with the intention to offend.

Offence can be subjective. But it can also be objective.
    I beg to differ. Offensive speech is speech which offends. Whether it offends or not is entirely dependent upon how someone feels about it, it is entirely subjective.

Poll
Should gherkins be in burgers?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.