Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Can I do medicine with these subjects? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 and next year I 100% without a doubt wanna do chemistry and maths, however, i do not want to do biology because i feel like i will not do well by the end of the two year, so i might do economics or something, but i'm unsure right now. I know that biology isn't essential, but if i decided i was going to do medicine by the end of the two years is it possible to get accepted to russell group unis?
    Btw, i'm still not sure if i 100% wanna do medicine, but i wanna keep my options open

ReputationRep:
    If you didn't do biology, then perhaps do something else that is somewhat science based or maths based. Psychology would be a good option too I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King42415)
    If you didn't do biology, then perhaps do something else that is somewhat science based or maths based. Psychology would be a good option too I think
    i'm going to do chem maths and the other option im not sure, i'll think about pyschology. thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saltyanisa)
    i'm going to do chem maths and the other option im not sure, i'll think about pyschology. thank you
    You're welcome
    What kinds of things do you like? As long as you do well in another subject you like, the Universities wouldn't be too fussy about it.

ReputationRep:
    But if you struggle with A level Biology then surely Medicine is much more difficult?

ReputationRep:
    Biology isn't mandatory for medicine but chem and maths are but bio is highly recommended to take for medicine. If you dont like bio then you probably shouldnt be taking medicine but dont let that discourage you

ReputationRep:
    Hi! You don't need biology and it is possible to do medicine without it. However, the course is so so popular that you're putting yourself at a major disadvantage if you don't take biology, simply because if they are picking between two identical applications but you have psychology and the other person has biology, they will accept the other person 99 times out of 100.

Of course, I'm sure you will find people who got onto medicine without biology, however in order to give it a serious shot and maximise your chances at getting an offer I'd highly suggest you do biology. From having friends going through the application process, its seems to be a game of not necessarily what the unis say you need, but what will get you an offer, as many people meet the minimum requirements so its what makes your application look as good as it possibly could!

I don't mean to dishearten you at all here- go and ask your teachers and maybe speak to some unis and ask if it would put you at a disadvantage if you didn't take biology! Also, make sure you get started on the work experience as if you don't take biology you will probably have to make up for it elsewhere on your application. Best of luck whatever you decide to do

ReputationRep:
    x
    Maths and chemistry will not meet the requirements for the vast majority of medical schools, you need to take either physics or biology as well, prerably biology. You don't need maths at all as it's not a requirement for medical school, but you seem adamant on taking it. Biology is preferable to physics because the vast majority of medical schools explicitly state biology as a requirement or a preferred subject.

(Original post by TheNlee)
    Biology isn't mandatory for medicine but chem and maths are but bio is highly recommended to take for medicine. If you dont like bio then you probably shouldnt be taking medicine but dont let that discourage you
    Complete rubbish, maths is not needed for any medical school in the entire country, whereas biology is a compulsory or preferred subject for most.

'Required subjects Chemistry and Biology.'
    http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergrad...cine-mbbs.aspx

'Entry requirements A-Levels: AAA to include Biology and Chemistry'
    https://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate/index.aspx

'A Levels: A Levels: AAA including Chemistry and one subject from Biology, Mathematics and Physics (Biology preferred)'

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergr...view&code=A100

ReputationRep:
    I think biology is mandatory for most universities, maths isn't.
    Btw, if you don't mind me asking, what did you get for the gcse maths exams, and what exam board do you do?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 and next year I 100% without a doubt wanna do chemistry and maths, however, i do not want to do biology because i feel like i will not do well by the end of the two year, so i might do economics or something, but i'm unsure right now. I know that biology isn't essential, but if i decided i was going to do medicine by the end of the two years is it possible to get accepted to russell group unis?
    Btw, i'm still not sure if i 100% wanna do medicine, but i wanna keep my options open
    It is possible because Chemistry is a requirement unlike Biology, Chemistry you have to have. If you do not have A-Level Biology, most medical schools will be asking for an A/A* in GCSE Biology or A/A* in both Double Science Award.

ReputationRep:
    Your options will be reduced significantly without biology.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

If you're thinking about Medicine, many medical schools do require a combination of Chemistry and Biology at A-Level.

You can see a list of the A-Level subject requirements of each UK medical school on our page, What A-Levels do I need to be a Doctor?

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.