Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Any other muslims just feel like leaving tsr recently? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    You unironically use words like 'Islamophobia' and post stuff about 'Whites' sympathising with terror for identifying last night's attack as an act of revenge. Of course you're going to get called out on these things.

The fact that you can say stuff on TSR that would not be acceptable in the left-leaning, politically correct world inhabited by young people, where the validity of one's statements is of only a secondary importance to prevailing social norms and interpersonal relations, is a good thing. It allows frank, honest discussion, in addition to allowing people to channel their worst thoughts and have others call them out for having them.

If you can't handle secular criticism of what seems to be a faith-dominated life, you'd be well advised to grow a pair or lock yourself in ISOC. The truly unpleasant threads ('deport all Muslims' etc.) are removed by the CT rather promptly.
    Criticism my arse, when i criticise something i give a balanced view, weigh up pros and cons i dont just smear the hell out of something and dub it a critique- is islamophobia not a thing? Why can i not use it?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    Freedom of speech doesnt mean lets just go ham and insult the sh** out of everything, i dont see any other religions being insulted- try not to read it, you yourself try to go a day without seeing an islamophobic post on here
    Insults are subjective especially when discussing ideology.

You don't have to respond to any of the posts you see. It's part of life, people will say things you don't like and you have to learn to be able to ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    You unironically use words like 'Islamophobia' and post stuff about 'Whites' sympathising with terror for identifying last night's attack as an act of revenge. Of course you're going to get called out on these things.

The fact that you can say stuff on TSR that would not be acceptable in the left-leaning, politically correct world inhabited by young people, where the validity of one's statements is of only a secondary importance to prevailing social norms and interpersonal relations, is a good thing. It allows frank, honest discussion, in addition to allowing people to channel their worst thoughts and have others call them out for having them.

If you can't handle secular criticism of what seems to be a faith-dominated life, you'd be well advised to grow a pair or lock yourself in ISOC. The truly unpleasant threads ('deport all Muslims' etc.) are removed by the CT rather promptly.
    You fail to address the sheer frequency of these threads that dominate this site. It's mostly bait and its not constructive, many arguments have been done over and over again and the islamophobes just spin it back. Not to mention the constant mocking and use of sarcasm and condescension. If you think a reasonable discussion has been held which is sensible and mature then you are deluded.

ReputationRep:
    Just seeing replied to this post cemented my decision, definitely taking a break, thanks to those who supported and replied

ReputationRep:
    The hate and the constant defending your religion is getting to me and making me feel sick. problem is i like this site and most of its users and a lot of the threads are on helpful topics or worthwhile discussions. hate having to see stupid, uninformed posts about your religion, people`s anonymity means they can get way with hell on here and say stuff theyd never say in real life, i report this stuff,ive reported like 30 posts in the month but it just seems fruitless. i cant just ignore it, i try but it hurts seeing someone insult and victimise a big part of your life and just sitting there without replying.
    This isn't recent. TSR has had an obsession with Islam/Muslims for years.

ReputationRep:
    then stick to talking about exams and stuff, leave your religion out of TSR

ReputationRep:
    In other words, you're too much of a pussy to say your thoughts in real life but you're fine to say what you want here because you're anonymous.

Seems like it's you who needs to grow a pair of balls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mediocre_One)
    Insults are subjective especially when discussing ideology.

You don't have to respond to any of the posts you see. It's part of life, people will say things you don't like and you have to learn to be able to ignore it.
    anyone with half a brain can see that half the trash written on this site isnt constructive, it's cheap insults.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fvckkk)
    In other words, you're too much of a pussy to say your thoughts in real life but you're fine to say what you want here because you're anonymous.

I'm not afraid to voice my opinions. I've done so in public and under my real name. The last comment seems in rather poor taste and neglects to do the rest of the post justice.

ReputationRep:
    people`s anonymity means they can get way with hell on here and say stuff theyd never say in real life
    Yeah I'd never say "that stuff" in real life because I've gotten bullied for the past five months for leaving the religion and daring to say sharia law in some countries (which I thought Muslims hated anyway??) was sexist lol

That said, I don't think you should leave. If you aren't around, who's going to defend your religion? As long as you make the distinction between criticising an ideology and attacking someone (which is what assh*les do), I don't think your dialogue is worthless or any lesser than everybody else's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0xFFFFail)
    then stick to talking about exams and stuff, leave your religion out of TSR
    I'm quite sure they wouldn't feel the need to mention their religion if they didn't feel like it was constantly being attacked for completely spurious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    anyone with half a brain can see that half the trash written on this site isnt constructive, it's cheap insults.
    you're too much of a pussy
    ??

ReputationRep:
    The hate and the constant defending your religion is getting to me and making me feel sick. problem is i like this site and most of its users and a lot of the threads are on helpful topics or worthwhile discussions. hate having to see stupid, uninformed posts about your religion, people`s anonymity means they can get way with hell on here and say stuff theyd never say in real life, i report this stuff,ive reported like 30 posts in the month but it just seems fruitless. i cant just ignore it, i try but it hurts seeing someone insult and victimise a big part of your life and just sitting there without replying.
    Your interpretation of your religion may well be good. The issue is that there are some extremely unpalatable things in the Quran, and therefore, Islam.

You absolutely have the right to believe what you want. You do not have the right to respect for your beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I'm not afraid to voice my opinions. I've done so in public and under my real name. The last comment seems in rather poor taste and neglects to do the rest of the post justice.
    No, you people claim things are "unacceptable" to say in real life which is total bullsh*t. It's a free country, say what you like and people can respond how they like.

Im sure you are a brave man, but this is the internet but if you think im going to take your word for it then sorry, but no.

Nah, idc what your opinion is of my post. That poster told OP to grow a pair and I said the same thing back, yet you're coming after me? lol
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

What does it have to do with anonymity? Should he be afraid to speak his mind in real life for fear of repercussions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    ??
    Using his same words against him. This is another classic right wing tsr ploy.

ReputationRep:
    report the trolls

ReputationRep:
    Criticism my arse, when i criticise something i give a balanced view, weigh up pros and cons i dont just smear the hell out of something and dub it a critique- is islamophobia not a thing? Why can i not use it?
    I don't think that any of what you call 'smears' against Islam are actually that. They're cheap attacks - low lying fruit, intellectually speaking - but that doesn't make them any less valid. The Aisha affair, the polygamous lifestyle of the mighty Mo, and the perceived treatment of women in Islam are common talking points amongst even the most childish of critics, but they're no less factual or troubling as a result, no matter how much you try to contextualise them.

Assuming that you do try to give a nuanced approach to the issues, I wouldn't be frustrated by simple, puerile responses. Explain your side of the argument to your satisfaction, and move on. If it really is that convincing, your average TSR reader will see that you've won, even if you haven't persuaded the person you're arguing against. You'll probably get a few likes as a result, while the other person will get none or see their post removed (in extreme circumstances).

My issue with 'Islamophobia' as a term is that it encompasses both Islam and Muslims, and that it's used as a... smear used to shut down actual criticism, no matter how basic it may seem. It lends itself to overliberal use. I'd ideally replace it with a host of more specific, constituent words, but that's a debate for another day.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I think this kind of goes both ways. Of course, random trolling, insults is a big no but people should still be allowed to criticize any religion freely. I've seen quite a few muslims on tsr criticising non-muslims too - e.g. saying how sinful it is to be gay and so on. Yet they don't get banned because it's their religion'

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.