Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Any other muslims just feel like leaving tsr recently? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mediocre_One)
    What does it have to do with anonymity? Should he be afraid to speak his mind in real life for fear of repercussions?
    The reality is that if you say something disgusting in real life it is far easier to be arrested for Hate Speech, Racism or Breach of the Peace.

There are far more repercussions in real life and they are there for good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    i try but i cant really help it sometimes when theyre insulting one of the things i hold most sacred in my life,
    Is it really insulting? There's plenty to take issue with in the Quran (and the Bible etc). If that being pointed-out is difficult for you, perhaps you ought to think why.

ReputationRep:
    Sad thing is a lot of people don't understand the difference between criticism and insulting, everyone has the right to criticise Islam, or any other religion, but to spread hate and anger towards it is insulting and is vile. The fact that some people e.g. @rogeroxon take the time to make offensive comments is horrible. Criticism involves looking and the good and the bad, not devoting your life to spread hate and anger towards a religion that you wrongly claim does this things

ReputationRep:
    What does it have to do with anonymity? Should he be afraid to speak his mind in real life for fear of repercussions?
    No he absolutely shouldnt.

Free speech works two ways. You can say what you like and people can respond as they like.

ReputationRep:
    Yes- you may not like black or brown people but telling them that will likely get you hurt-insult someone and you're likely to be hurt
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friffinghell)
    The reality is that if you say something disgusting in real life it is far easier to be arrested for Hate Speech, Racism or Breach of the Peace.

There are far more repercussions in real life and they are there for good reason.
    Depends what you're saying, if it's criticism of what is wrong with religion then you won't face much repercussions at all.

If anything recent events have shown hate preachers aren't being handled with a strong enough grip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Hmm, I think this kind of goes both ways. Of course, random trolling, insults is a big no but people should still be allowed to criticize any religion freely. I've seen quite a few muslims on tsr criticising non-muslims too - e.g. saying how sinful it is to be gay and so on. Yet they don't get banned because it's their religion'
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Is it really insulting? There's plenty to take issue with in the Quran (and the Bible etc). If that being pointed-out is difficult for you, perhaps you ought to think why.
    Criticism looks at good and bad-just insulting a religion and ****ging it off is not criticism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fvckkk)
    No, you people claim things are "unacceptable" to say in real life which is total bullsh*t. It's a free country, say what you like and people can respond how they like.

Im sure you are a brave man, but this is the internet but if you think im going to take your word for it then sorry, but no.

Nah, idc what your opinion is of my post. That poster told OP to grow a pair and I said the same thing back, yet you're coming after me? lol
    I don't recall saying anything to that effect. Anyway, other people are well within their right to ridicule me. If anyone has anything to say to me, I would encourage them to do so, no matter of the content.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. You said that we would never dare express our opinions in public, without providing any substantiation, and you now deny my rebuttal on the basis that I gave no evidence? I'm unsure of what you're trying to accomplish.

I was pointing out the hypocrisy within your post, stating other posts on the website to be unconstructive yet in doing that, you were rather unconstructive. I was not stating that you should care about anything. People are entitled to care, and not care about, anything that you wish.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes yes, although not so much to do with the discussion of religion alone, but quite a few discussions generally become Daily-Mail comment section. All good to have disagreements and debates, but sometimes it gets pretty vile. On top of that, you have the constant troll posts littering TSR on an almost half hourly basis. I rarely give them the attention and generally ignore them, but it isn't nice to have to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menna123)
    The fact that some people e.g. @rogeroxon take the time to make offensive comments is horrible.
    I challenge you to point to one comment that I have made that would be offensive to a reasonable person.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shredder-21)
    Yes- you may not like black or brown people but telling them that will likely get you hurt-insult someone and you're likely to be hurt
    Not liking someone because of their colour is bigoted. what does it have to do with critiquing a religion?

ReputationRep:
    Criticism looks at good and bad-just insulting a religion and ****ging it off is not criticism
    Like I said, I am not talking about RANDOM insults here. And no, criticism doesn't have to look at good if there is no good - like, I don't see anything good about islam's stance on homosexuality
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
    Freedom of speech doesnt mean lets just go ham and insult the sh** out of everything, i dont see any other religions being insulted- try not to read it, you yourself try to go a day without seeing an islamophobic post on here
    it does actually mate, not that I agree with that but that's how it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fvckkk)
    Using his same words against him. This is another classic right wing tsr ploy.
    Out of interest, what makes you think that I'm a right-winger?

I explained what my gist was in a later post, I do admit that my question marks didn't communicate much :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I don't recall saying anything to that effect. Anyway, other people are well within their right to ridicule me. If anyone has anything to say to me, I would encourage them to do so, no matter of the content.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. You said that we would never dare express our opinions in public, without providing any substantiation, and you now deny my rebuttal on the basis that I gave no evidence? I'm unsure of what you're trying to accomplish.

I was pointing out the hypocrisy within your post, stating other posts on the website to be unconstructive yet in doing that, you were rather unconstructive. I was not stating that you should care about anything. People are entitled to care, and not care about, anything that you wish.
    Im sure you do. But you replied to me when I was in another conversation and im talking in that context. Which funnily enough is a rhetoric ive heard many times.

There's nothing unconstructive about telling him to man up and express his views in public without fear of "left wingers political correctness" nonsense. Again, im speaking in that context here, this miscommunication is because of you.

ReputationRep:
    No. Criticism can be purely negative.

The problem is that many Muslims are so indoctrinated that they find offense in factual statements.

ReputationRep:
    I mean TSR's kinda been this way for a while, it's just something you adjust to I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    You unironically use words like 'Islamophobia' and post stuff about 'Whites' sympathising with terror for identifying last night's attack as an act of revenge. Of course you're going to get called out on these things.

The fact that you can say stuff on TSR that would not be acceptable in the left-leaning, politically correct world inhabited by young people, where the validity of one's statements is of only a secondary importance to prevailing social norms and interpersonal relations, is a good thing. It allows frank, honest discussion, in addition to allowing people to channel their worst thoughts and have others call them out for having them.

If you can't handle secular criticism of what seems to be a faith-dominated life, you'd be well advised to grow a pair or lock yourself in ISOC. The truly unpleasant threads ('deport all Muslims' etc.) are removed by the CT rather promptly.
    PRSOM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    I challenge you to point to one comment that I have made that would be offensive to a reasonable person.
    Look at all your comments about islam on other threads, they're countless, you're always bringing hate to a religion, which hasn't done anything to you directly. May I also please ask why you contribute to a thread which is for students, when you seem to have finished being a stundentr thirty years ago?

ReputationRep:
    Not liking someone because of their colour is bigoted. what does it have to do with critiquing a religion?
    Not liking someone because of their religion is also bigoted- tell me how day to day discussion of islam on ysr is critique, if you told someone to criticise your work theyd say what's good about it and what's bad about it but all I see is Bs

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.