Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Do mitochondria and ribosomes help make enzymes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently revising for mock exams, is this true? I can't find anything on the internet that suggests this?
    Thankyou so much in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T2002)
    I am currently revising for mock exams, is this true? I can't find anything on the internet that suggests this?
    Enzymes are proteins so ribosomes are involved in producing this proteins (in translation) and ATP is required in the activation stage of translation so yes, both organelles are involved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T2002)
    Mitochondria provide the energy and ribosomes make proteins, enzymes are proteins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T2002)
    Enzymes are made from proteins which are made up of amino acids. Mitochondria and ribosomes are organelles you find inside of a cell that help it to carry out its function.

(Original post by T2002)
    Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell... (produces ATP) most metabolic processes including the synthesis of proteins (which enzymes often are) need ATP and therefore Mitochondria does play a role in making enzymes if you want to link it that far. Ribosomes are responsible for synthesising proteins which most enzymes are (globular proteins) so yes can they play a direct role in making enzymes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell... (produces ATP) most metabolic processes including the synthesis of proteins (which enzymes often are) need ATP and therefore Mitochondria does play a role in making enzymes if you want to link it that far. Ribosomes are responsible for synthesising proteins which most enzymes are (globular proteins) so yes can they play a direct role in making enzymes.
    Thankyou so much!

(Original post by medhelp)
    pretty sure all enzymes are proteins m8
    There is a catalytic RNA molecule (ribozyme) that has enzyme activity but isn't a protein.

For more information read this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3770912/

Ofc I don't think it is needed at this level :/ but had to make my answer clear with no errors

Poll
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.