Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

3 years 3 a levels Watch

ReputationRep:
    So since I did my GCSEs a year early I have had 3 years for 4 a levels but I dropped one.

Will unis care? Should I take up an EPQ or something? Will they see this as a bad thing?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by JaqenH'gar)
    So since I did my GCSEs a year early I have had 3 years for 4 a levels but I dropped one.

Will unis care? Should I take up an EPQ or something? Will they see this as a bad thing?
    Only a few unis care and you simply need to check admissions for the course you wish to apply to. More common is that if its Medicine then it matters a lot and they expect A levels to be completed in 2 years. Other than tha then 95% of courses wont care. Individual unis may decide youve had more time and set you a slightly higher offer similar to if you have resat, but I would say your situation is unusual and not to worry about it.

They might not notice you tooj GCSE early.

Are you self taught? How have the teachers managed to teach for 3 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Only a few unis care and you simply need to check admissions for the course you wish to apply to. More common is that if its Medicine then it matters a lot and they expect A levels to be completed in 2 years. Other than tha then 95% of courses wont care. Individual unis may decide youve had more time and set you a slightly higher offer similar to if you have resat, but I would say your situation is unusual and not to worry about it.

They might not notice you tooj GCSE early.

Are you self taught? How have the teachers managed to teach for 3 years?
    Thanks for the response. We were originally doing 4 a levels but as I mentioned above I dropped one recently.

Do you think that an EPQ would potentially help unis accept I did 3 over 3 years? Or do you think it will make no difference.
    • Very Important Poster

Thanks for the response. We were originally doing 4 a levels but as I mentioned above I dropped one recently.

Do you think that an EPQ would potentially help unis accept I did 3 over 3 years? Or do you think it will make no difference.
    My view on EPQs is do one if you really want and are confident of your grades, but i cant see the point unless you know for a fact the uni you are applying to takes it into consideration. Not all do by a long shot.

Unis are mostly just interested in 3 A levels. I think LSE someone mentioned had a 2 year preference. The biggest one I mentioned was medicine.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Most top unis prefer you take them over 2 years; medicine courses usually explicitly require this to ensure you are prepared for the academic demands of the course.

Why take them over 3 years though? Why not just do 3 over 2 years and apply at 17 to uni? It's not hugely uncommon and outside of medicine doesn't present much of an issue; they may make you sign a waiver or some such saying you won't engage in relations with staff or similar (a friend of a friend had to do this) but the age difference isn't particularly significant in retrospect.

ReputationRep:

m8 my situation is worse but I got offers for Maths at Durham and Lancaster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths is Life)
    m8 my situation is worse but I got offers for Maths at Durham and Lancaster
    can you explain your situation please because i might have to do alevels in 3 years instead of two and im really worried ( depends on results day)

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.