Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Should the internet have a swear filter? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Should the internet have a filter that stops swearing just like on TSR?

ReputationRep:
    **** no

ReputationRep:
    what? no.

ReputationRep:
    No. Swearing isn't the issue in daily life - it's the degree and the context in which it's used. As a result, there's nothing inherently wrong with swearing at the right time.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell that would be an issue for me if that was the case.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No.

(Original post by Kyx)
    Freedom of speech

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought you were leaving. At least you are making progress, it's the first decent post I read from you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shredder-21)
    **** no
    Exactly what I came to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mick799)
    Should the internet have a filter that stops swearing just like on TSR?
    No. While I don't like excessive swearing (if everything is ****, what word do you use when things get really bad?), I don't think fear of a word is justified. Whether something is acceptable or not depends on the context and what all the words mean together - not whether or not a certain word is there or not.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    **** no!

Oh wait......
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shredder-21)
    **** no
    Damn you! Just posted the same thing that without reading the other comments, thinking I was king of wit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mediocre_One)
    Damn you! Just posted the same thing that without reading the other comments, thinking I was king of wit.
    Lel get rekt

ReputationRep:
    No because then we would not know what the hell people are saying. Also why filter at all. Words are made bad because of people turning them bad really or thinking that they are bad. Like Ass is just an A and 2 S's that is all.

ReputationRep:
    I think that a swear filter can often push people to describe why they don't like each other in more detail and in less specific terms, which can be more hurtful.

If it was the whole internet, they would also be problems with words that had different meanings in different language. Just because it's rude in one language or subculture doesn't mean that it's rude in another (people from the US often seem shocked by the way that the Scots use the C word, for example).

ReputationRep:
    No, of course not. How would you enforce it anyway? What about things that are swears in some languages, but are normal words in others? When would a word be counted as a swear word? I can think of lots of words that have legitimate meanings. Would insults be filtered too?

ReputationRep:

Poll
What is your favourite film genre?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.