Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Law Students: Presentation Help Please! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have to do a presentation on an aspect of law. I have virtually no legal knowledge, other than the main areas of law - not being a law student, I could not go in to much depth!

I am however interested in studying law - and I need to give a presentation on something law related to 'demonstrate my interest in the subject' (Of course, I've done background reading but it's not the same as something like English where I might have a much greater knowledge)

So, does anyone have any really accessible areas/aspects of law I could do - maybe a case for example? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomHibbs12)
    I have to do a presentation on an aspect of law. I have virtually no legal knowledge, other than the main areas of law - not being a law student, I could not go in to much depth!

I am however interested in studying law - and I need to give a presentation on something law related to 'demonstrate my interest in the subject' (Of course, I've done background reading but it's not the same as something like English where I might have a much greater knowledge)

So, does anyone have any really accessible areas/aspects of law I could do - maybe a case for example? Thanks.
    Hi ,

I just finished A Level law so I may be able to help you.

If I was you I'd look at an offence called gross negligent manslaughter, i.e. reckless manslaughter.

To be liable for an offence,

You must have a duty to care (duty to act)
    You must fall below (breach) what the average person would do, i.e. the reasonable man.
    You must then cause the death.
    Your breach must have caused a risk of death
    Your omission must have been gross.

This means If you light a fag and leave it burning and you fall asleep and people die your liable for their death through a charge of gross neigent manslaughter.

Type in peanut curry death on google, it's a good read and a modern day example.

Just ask If you need help

ReputationRep:

If you really want to impress who is on the receiving end - maybe think of what is wrong with the current law on gross negligent manslaughter.

Is it based on fault?
    Why is the law so objective?

One biggest argument that always fails in court is something called Ex Turpi Causa.

This means in tort law (i.e. claims, money etc) people who break the law can't bring a claim.

But in criminal law if the person who dies is involved on crime a duty of care still exists, is this good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrbr2671999)
    If you really want to impress who is on the receiving end - maybe think of what is wrong with the current law on gross negligent manslaughter.

Is it based on fault?
    Why is the law so objective?

One biggest argument that always fails in court is something called Ex Turpi Causa.

This means in tort law (i.e. claims, money etc) people who break the law can't bring a claim.

But in criminal law if the person who dies is involved on crime a duty of care still exists, is this good?
    Thankyou so much, really accessible area of law with an interesting topic.
    • Very Important Poster

What is the presentation for?

What is the brief i.e what are your instructions?

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.