The Student Room Group

Air Hostess

or flight attendant or whatever you want to call it.

i'm just about to start my year 13, my AS levels didn't really go as well as i expected so am now considering some other options i could do.

Have been thinking about becoming an air hostess for a while but am not sure what the requirements are to become one. if any one knows anything would be a great help. Thanks x x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would have thought, C at GCSE Maths and English and being a friendly, cheerful person.
Reply 2
i wasn't sure if i would need to have done anything to do with leisure/tourism?
Reply 3
You need to have nice legs.
Reply 4
how typical for a guy to come out with something like that! :rolleyes:
Reply 5
crazy_cutie44
how typical for a guy to come out with something like that! :rolleyes:

Depends on the airline but sometimes they specify that they want you to have a modern foreign language up to GCSE level or above. Dyeing your hair blonde will also help if you aren't blonde already. (Joking). I wanted to be a dancing doctoring air hostess when i was younger.
Reply 6
Hi.
I too want to be an air hostess. Some requirements you need if you already havn't found any are:
Good Eyesight
Weight in proportion to heigh
Freidnly and warm personality
Ability to swim
Preferably unmarried.

I hope these help! Good luck!

Rebeccax
Reply 7
Yes i have heard dat languages are rele important ...
and in terms of looks ?! i thought the smile makes all the difference !!
Reply 8
Bec2k5
Hi.

Good Eyesight
Weight in proportion to heigh

Preferably unmarried.

These requirements aren't applicable anymore as airlines are not able to discriminate againest people on these basis.

Airlines take a wide variety of people but the most important aspects are:

Safety awareness
Customer service
Ability to be firm yet polite
Dealing with difficult customers
Security

Languages are a benefit but not essential as you could just be doing internal flights. It depends on the airline as to benefits and working hours. Wages are nowhere near as good as they used to be and you need to have stamina as it can be knackering.
Reply 9
frost105
These requirements aren't applicable anymore as airlines are not able to discriminate againest people on these basis.

Airlines take a wide variety of people but the most important aspects are:

Safety awareness
Customer service
Ability to be firm yet polite
Dealing with difficult customers
Security

Languages are a benefit but not essential as you could just be doing internal flights. It depends on the airline as to benefits and working hours. Wages are nowhere near as good as they used to be and you need to have stamina as it can be knackering.

surely eyesight can be a factor - in many careers (such as pilot) you have to pass a medical.
Reply 10
yes but what I said also goes aswell, as it says on all information pages about being an air hostess, plus my cousin is one so I get information off her
Reply 11
allisandro
surely eyesight can be a factor - in many careers (such as pilot) you have to pass a medical.

As long as you wear corrective spectacles and lenses its ok.
These are easyjets requirements:
The minimum requirements for easyJet cabin crew are:

Aged 19 or over
Height 5’2’’ (1.58m) to 6’3’’ (1.90m) with weight in proportion to height
Physically fit
A minimum of a C grade average at GCSE level (or equivalent)
Fluent in spoken and written English
In possession of at least six months face-to-face customer service experience
Able to swim at least 25 metres
In possession of the right to work in the UK and travel freely in the EU
In addition, you should be:

Friendly and personable
Mature in attitude and outlook
Able to remain calm and efficient under pressure
An excellent communicator with people of all ages and cultures
A team player
Flexible and adaptable
Able to take direction and feedback
Living within or prepared to move within one and a half hours of your base.
Additional information:

easyJet is a non smoking airline. Smoking is not permitted on the aircraft at any time.
Tattoos are acceptable but must not be visible.
Visible body piercing (other than one earring per ear) is not permitted
Reply 13
wen i was younger i always wanted to be an air host, ah whenlife was simple and g=10
amo1
wen i was younger i always wanted to be an air host, ah whenlife was simple and g=10

LMAO :biggrin:
Reply 15
I just came back from an interview for Ryanair and they seem to be recruiting A LOT of ppl at the moment. Looked like 70% of the applicants will get in.
Requirements (here in Finland):
· Experienced in a customer services environment & comfortable in a selling role
· Physically fit with a good attendance record in your current position
· Hard working, flexible & willing to operate on a shift roster
· Over 18 years of age
· Between 157cm and 185cm in height with weight in proportion
· Of normal vision (contact lenses acceptable)
· Able to swim well
· In possession of a valid EU passport (or Finnish passport)
· Fluent in English (both written and spoken)
· Ideally possessing knowledge of a second European language (Finnish, Swedish…)
· Prepared to live within one hour's travelling time of any Ryanair base
· Prepared to work unsociable hours, any day of the year, at any time including weekends
· Ready to meet the challenge of dealing with people and demanding situations
· Friendly and outgoing with a lively personality
In addition to meeting these requirements, candidates will be expected to be customer service oriented, and ideally have some experience with customer service.
Reply 16
25 metres swim? ****ing hell, if a plane crashes (in the sea) you're meant to trust people who can swim just 25 metres, going to go far in the atlantic ain't it. :rolleyes:
Reply 17
erk
25 metres swim? ****ing hell, if a plane crashes (in the sea) you're meant to trust people who can swim just 25 metres, going to go far in the atlantic ain't it. :rolleyes:

I think in that situation, you're pretty much ****ed regardless of how far anyone can swim - the general 'being dead'ness tends to have an adverse effect on swimming abilities.
Reply 18
Agreed.

But if we took that attitude i'd ask why they even ask for swimmers at all? In a case of survival on impact, a 25metre swimmer would drown. :biggrin:
i think the 25metre thing is so that you can make it to a life radt and no more.

why would you even need to swim more that 25 metres anyway. its not like you are going to swim the entire north sea if your plane crashes. or are you?!

to be honest, easy on the eye air hostesses make everybodys life easier, and plus with Ryanair, they usually have the irish accent as well. :top:

Latest

Trending

Trending