Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Higher Maths vs Higher English Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Im starting IB in september and have applied with HL History French Spanish and SL Maths English and Physics.
    My problem is that i have such a passion for both english AND maths, yet would not see myself doing either at university as i am much more interested in History.
    I am highly considering doing one of them asa higher, swapping with spanish, but my school only lets you do one of english and maths as a higher.
    I get good results in both, predicted 9s in both at gcse and an A^ for FSMQ add maths, but i don't know what to do as i wouldn't want to not be able to get into a top uni because i got a 5 in HL maths instead of a 6.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Elizabeth Perroni,
    Are you referring to English Lang & Lit or English Lit?

I am a first year student and I'm doing English Lang & Lit. Honestly, I find it my easiest HL subject. I got full marks for my end of year exams and I'm happily predicted a 7. (My other HL's are Economics and Philosophy). I find that this course demands much more hard work than natural talent. I've started the year getting 5's and through hard work I've made my way up to getting 7's. Bear in mind that examinations only account to 50% of your final grade. The 50% consists of Oral presentations and written assignments. Additionally, English HL would develop your essay writing skills for both History HL and History at Uni.

As for Maths HL, it is probably the hardest subject to score a 7 in IB, the other being physics. Maths HL is a notoriously hard subject unanimously accepted by everyone who takes it. I'm very sorry I have not done FSMQ GCSE, so I could not explain the correlation between IB and GCSE. However, my school does Cambridge iGCSE Add Maths, and students who get an A* in that are predicted a 7 for HL Maths.

One more thing, HL Maths and HL History is a very demanding and difficult combination, as they are considered the 2 of the 3 (with that being physics) the most difficult subjects to score a 7. You will have a very heavy workload.

You're free to ask me if you have any further questions,

Good luck with your choices!

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.