Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Missed my A level exam Watch

ReputationRep:
    I missed my A level exam, I don't know what to do

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your college they're going to have a better idea than the denizens of TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rukkyyxx)
    I missed my A level exam, I don't know what to do
    what subject and was it today?

ReputationRep:
    Speak to your exams coordinator, but you will probably have to wait until next year

ReputationRep:
    You're almost certainly going to have to wait until next year. Sorry

However, you MIGHT be able to convince the exam board to use your predicted grade instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash8991)
    You're almost certainly going to have to wait until next year. Sorry

However, you MIGHT be able to convince the exam board to use your predicted grade instead
    Thanks for you quick reply. I've spoken to the exams office at college and they said they'll try to convince them. Do you know whether unis accept the predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowSeeker)
    what subject and was it today?
    Chemistry Paper2! Yes it was

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry Paper2! Yes it was
    you arent the only one
    I have a few friends who had trian and bus delay therefore missed it

ReputationRep:
    Why did you miss it? If it was just because you forgot then they will calculate your overall grade on the other 2 papers and it will not be very good.
    One thing that is certain is that they will not use your predicted grade - they do not collect them so cannot use them.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for you quick reply. I've spoken to the exams office at college and they said they'll try to convince them. Do you know whether unis accept the predicted grades.
    Yeah, they should do. If you do get your predicted grade instead, I think it'll just show up as a normal A level result (no different to your other grades, just a single letter). But I'm not 100% certain, maybe the unis you've applied to would get notified but I can't see there being a huge problem considering people usually end up getting their predicted grades anyway. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they should do. If you do get your predicted grade instead,
    They never use predicted grades. They don't collect them and don't use them if candidates miss units.

people usually end up getting their predicted grades anyway.
    Fewer than half of people get their predicted grades which is a reason exam boards don't collect or use them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    They never use predicted grades. They don't collect them and don't use them if candidates miss units.

Fewer than half of people get their predicted grades which is a reason exam boards don't collect or sue them.
    They might ask for a paper done under mock conditions

ReputationRep:
    It depends why you missed the exam. A friend of mine missed a paper due to appendicitis, and she was told that the exam board would calculate her grade for that paper based on a combination of her score in the other papers, her mock/predicted grades and the national average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pugglet)
    They might ask for a paper done under mock conditions
    They haven't done that for over 12 years.

ReputationRep:
    They haven't done that for over 12 years.
    Well it happened last week at my sixth form so....

ReputationRep:

Fewer than half of people get their predicted grades which is a reason exam boards don't collect or sue them.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student...e-2054076.html

This is a case of where the candidate literally could not do the exam due to sickness which isn't as good of an excuse as not turning up to an exam due to oversleeping, if that's what happened with the OP. But if the OP missed the exam because of a car accident or because they witnessed a serious crime happen (for example), they might be able to do as this person did and ask for them to use their predicted grades.

Spoiler:
    Show

I'm just trying to give some hope

ReputationRep:
    You have believed a newspaper but I work to the exam regulations (it's my job) and I can guarantee to you that they do not use predicted grades or mock results to calculate what grade to give someone if they miss an exam for legitimate reasons. How they do it is explained here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/a...date-is-absent

ReputationRep:
    You have believed a newspaper but I work to the exam regulations (it's my job) and I can guarantee to you that they do not use predicted grades or mock results to calculate what grade to give someone if they miss an exam for legitimate reasons. How they do it is explained here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/a...date-is-absent
    Out of interest, what would they do if, for example, a student was seriously ill and missed all of the exams for a particular subject? Or it was a subject with only one paper?

Poll
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.