Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Cheapest way to learn multiple languages Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm going on a Eramus Mundus masters programme, which will involve spending time in multiple countries (France, Germany and Brazil, in that order).

Given that most apps charge a subscription, do you guys know of any that let me learn multiple languages in a given period?

Babbel has a good rep, but as far as I can tell it only lets you learn one for a given subscription.

I'll learn one a time, starting with french, but intend to be proficient in french, german and portuguese within 12 months.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soopakoopatroopa)
    I'll learn one a time, starting with french, but intend to be proficient in french, german and portuguese within 12 months.
    You won't be. You'd be lucky to be proficient in just one of those languages after only 12 months, learning all three in such a small amount of time is impossible - really, don't even try, you're setting yourself up for failure.

Apps can be good for revision, but you can't learn a language using an app alone. I suggest you choose one language to focus on. You can cover the basics yourself using books, flashcards, online resources (Reddit, YouTube videos etc.). Once you've built up some vocab and got a solid understanding of the grammar, verb conjugation, tenses etc then you can consider subscribing to language learning sites like rosetta stone.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soopakoopatroopa)
    That's really not very realistic. Why not concentrate on taking a bit more time getting up to a decent level in one, before moving on to the next?

ReputationRep:
    I should have been a bit clearer haha. This is a two year Masters programme. I wont need to master all three in one year, I'd just like to know the absolute basics.

Basically the schedule I was thinking of is as follows:
    Learn basics in French by August (this year). I'll be living there for 5/6 months, before spending a month in Ecuador. 10 months total (counting what I've done already using youtube and books) should be enough to get proficient, especially as the course will include two weeks of intensive french lessons at the start.

Then learn the basics of German, as the next 4 months will be there (April - end of July inclusive).

Only then will I have to worry about Portuguese - I start there in September 2019. If I do my thesis in Brazil I'd be living there for a total of 12 months (6 if I do my thesis in the UK).

The languages which are most important to me are obviously French and Portuguese - not only will I be living in those countries for the longest period, but they have the greatest long term economic relevance to me. So I'd like to be highly proficient in both, but only need to be passable in German.

ReputationRep:
    Duolingo is good for the basics, and if you ever want to go back over grammar and vocab. Completely free as well.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.