Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, new here

I'm currently retaking year 10 after dropping out of school in year 8. I'm currently really struggling in school and I'm trying to revise as much as I can as I have my MOCKs currently. Is there anyway to get better at remembering things? I find myself sitting in lessons listening to the teacher, but when getting to the actual work I've no idea what they mean. I also have diagnosed dyscalcus so I may be doing fuctional skills in maths.

I'm determined to do well in school but every day seems like a struggle. Do you have any tips? Especially around revision. Thanks

My GCSEs / BTEC
    English Language
    English Literature
    Maths
    Combined Science
    Computer Science
    Business Studies
    Level 2 Engineering BTEC
    History

ReputationRep:
    >oswald mosely picture
    Eternal anglo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YourCaesar)
    >oswald mosely picture
    Eternal anglo?
    nah, just a british fascist but i admire your knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmberEB)
    nah, just a british fascist but i admire your knowledge
    I approve.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Make a plan. The most important thing to do at this stage is to identify your weakness and strengths. Develop a plan where you occasionally revise stuff you know but stuff which you need to get better at, you revise it daily. It seems a daunting task to revise everyday but you gotta do it to achieve good results.

for History and Science, I would recommend making notes and writing out these notes by hand in whatever way you like. For maths, ensure you work on the basics i.e. grade 1 to 5 topics and are confident in these before you move onto the harder topics because this will allow you to form a solid base to work from. For English Literature, I would recommend you to start learning the quotes immediately because you will have barely anytime in year 11 to learn all the stuff. Pick out the main 3 to 4 quotes from each poem and link different poems together. Apart from this, always try your best and you will succeed.

P.S. I can help you with maths and English literature if you would like any help as I still have a lot of my notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    Make a plan. The most important thing to do at this stage is to identify your weakness and strengths. Develop a plan where you occasionally revise stuff you know but stuff which you need to get better at, you revise it daily. It seems a daunting task to revise everyday but you gotta do it to achieve good results.

for History and Science, I would recommend making notes and writing out these notes by hand in whatever way you like. For maths, ensure you work on the basics i.e. grade 1 to 5 topics and are confident in these before you move onto the harder topics because this will allow you to form a solid base to work from. For English Literature, I would recommend you to start learning the quotes immediately because you will have barely anytime in year 11 to learn all the stuff. Pick out the main 3 to 4 quotes from each poem and link different poems together. Apart from this, always try your best and you will succeed.

P.S. I can help you with maths and English literature if you would like any help as I still have a lot of my notes.
    Thank you very much for that. I've made a revision time table to try and motivate myself to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmberEB)
    Hi all, new here

I'm currently retaking year 10 after dropping out of school in year 8. I'm currently really struggling in school and I'm trying to revise as much as I can as I have my MOCKs currently. Is there anyway to get better at remembering things? I find myself sitting in lessons listening to the teacher, but when getting to the actual work I've no idea what they mean. I also have diagnosed dyscalcus so I may be doing fuctional skills in maths.

I'm determined to do well in school but every day seems like a struggle. Do you have any tips? Especially around revision. Thanks

My GCSEs / BTEC
    English Language
    English Literature
    Maths
    Combined Science
    Computer Science
    Business Studies
    Level 2 Engineering BTEC
    History
    I was in a similar position this year, I got through by watching videos and taking notes then doing questions, this might help if your an auditory learner, if not you can try making the notes from the videos into posters/ mind maps/ tables and sticking them around the house and stuff. For history, i find the best way to memorise dates and facts is to use Quizlet which is free.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I'll look into Quizlet

ReputationRep:
    start learning the equations for maths, also start memorising quotes for English literature.
    For History i would recommend watching videos/documentaries of the topics to make it easier to remember when revising.
    For English language you don't need to know much apart from different language techniques. For the others revise things you don't know and test yourself on the things you do know. Also looking at past papers will help.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    For maths there is, on your exam board website, or there should be, a list of equations they expect you to learn.
    English, Mr bruff is life. Mainly for aqa, but there is overlap. Also for maths. Go into the cgp books. Then go into the cgp grade 9 book if you want, it has ott questions not very representitive, forgive spelling, but still good prep.
    If you need more help just pm Me.
    Source:
    I'm in yr 11, *was...
    Now just chilling for 2.5 months.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.