Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Social Life at LSE Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this question has been asked loads of times but I don't use TSR often.

I just wanted to know what the social life at LSE is. I am starting in September (BSc Economics) and was interested whether people will be up for going out often in first year like other unis?? Also, are the societies generally popular and good, and any dance societies??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD1997)
    Sorry if this question has been asked loads of times but I don't use TSR often.

I just wanted to know what the social life at LSE is. I am starting in September (BSc Economics) and was interested whether people will be up for going out often in first year like other unis?? Also, are the societies generally popular and good, and any dance societies??
    Good if you make sure that you don't choose intercollegiate halls and/or try to hang out with Asians. Try casting a wide net in September in terms of potential friendships, and narrow down accordingly.

People go out very often. Certain club nights are student staples if you want to look into them further - usually XOYO (Mondays), Milkshake (Tuesdays), Zoo (Wednesdays), and Egg/Saucy/Fabric (Fridays). There's a degree of cliqueing, but usually among non-UK and non-EU students (internationals)

Societies are good, even though you get the inevitable lack of interest from committee closer to exam times. Other than ethnically or religous based societies, Business & Finance and Alternative Investments are very popular amongst even non-Econ students. All law students join the LawSoc more out of a sense of obligation - the City solicitor side is decent but not amazing, but the BarSoc (for prospective barristers) is exceptional. The AU is fairly casual in all but first teams, and performs averagely in BUCS. There are plenty of more academic societies in which LSE students are reputed to do very well (achievement-wise). Debating and MUN are obvious examples, but I'm not too familiar with them (never joined)

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.