Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

so this weekend is my friends baby shower and i don't know what to do. i'm a very anxious person and won't know a single person there except her boyfriend. i haven't seen her in over 6 months so we're not very close anymore but i think she expects me to go. it's in a pub and i'm just not sure what to do as it's hard for me to push myself to do social things like this. right now i really don't want to go but i feel bad. there's over 60 people going and i don't know anyone so i know i'll just be stood on my own the whole time. she's also said it's basically going to be a massive piss up (not for her obviously) but all her friends are very much big drinkers and i'm not which again makes me feel like i'll be out of place :/ should i just not go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    so this weekend is my friends baby shower and i don't know what to do. i'm a very anxious person and won't know a single person there except her boyfriend. i haven't seen her in over 6 months so we're not very close anymore but i think she expects me to go. it's in a pub and i'm just not sure what to do as it's hard for me to push myself to do social things like this. right now i really don't want to go but i feel bad. there's over 60 people going and i don't know anyone so i know i'll just be stood on my own the whole time. she's also said it's basically going to be a massive piss up (not for her obviously) but all her friends are very much big drinkers and i'm not which again makes me feel like i'll be out of place :/ should i just not go?
    Given that she is pregnant and probably feeling a bit hormonal- if you want to stay friends with this person then you should go.

Usually they have ice breaker activities, some food and a sit down and a chat.

It's about her- not you. So even if you're feeling awkward just pull yourself together and do it for your friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If she's your friend, she should know what you're like and shouldn't force you to go. There's nothing wrong with your friend having a big party with everyone else and then a couple of days later have a small get together consisting of you, her and the baby.

This person is your friend? Are you sure?

ReputationRep:
    what the **** is a baby shower and why are you going to this ****?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.