Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Distance Learning LLB Providers Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in studying for a LLB via distance learning. I have come across many options with BPP University, Manchester Met and University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN) being my top choices.

I know Uni of Essex, UOL, Open, Nottingham Trent and Arden also have Distance Learning LLB programmes. Are any of you studying for the LLB via distance learning? How has your experience been?

Edited: I am an international student, from a British Overseas Territory. I am interested in becoming a barrister, but I am not interested in a training contract because is not necessary to become a lawyer in my country. Upon completion of a distance learning program, I hope to come to the UK do the BPTC and then be admitted to the bar in my country. I was thinking that doing my LLB with an institution that also offers the BPTC would be a good idea.

Nottingham Trent does seem like a good option, but I think BPP offers more support on their Distance Learning LLB programme.

ReputationRep:
    dont recommend doing an LLB from a non red brick university if youre wanting to practice as you will find it difficult to land a trainee contract !! however if u want to use it for something else id recommend nottingham
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There are also level 7 Solicitor apprenticeships where you earn an LLB over 6 years while also completing the requirements for the LPC and TC, subject to a final exam. You will work in an actual law firm as a salaried apprentice trainee during this time as well, and the remuneration is quite generous (works out less generous in London due to living costs, although the salaries are higher to compensate). These are offered by a number of major City firms and also quite a few in the North and Midlands.

It's also worth noting that the Solicitor's Regulation Authority intend to replace the LLB/GDL -> LPC -> TC route with just one "super exam" which is open to graduates of any subject (although law grads will of course have covered a lot of the material before hand in theory). As such, an LLB will shortly no longer be a requirement (it isn't even actually a strict requirement now due to the GDL and small number TCs offering funding for the GDL and LPC for non-law grads on top of that). This may or may not affect your prospective applications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuese)
    dont recommend doing an LLB from a non red brick university if youre wanting to practice as you will find it difficult to land a trainee contract !! however if u want to use it for something else id recommend nottingham
    I should have probably mentioned that I am an international student, from a British Overseas Territory. I am interested in becoming a barrister, but I am not interested in a training contract because is not necessary to become a lawyer in my country. Upon completion of a distance learning program, I hope to come to the UK do the BPTC and then be admitted to the bar in my country. I was thinking that doing my LLB with an institution that also offers the BPTC would be a good idea.

Nottingham Trent does seem like a good option, but I think BPP offers more support on their Distance Learning LLB programme.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcmck)
    snip
    Odd, someone asked a very similar question last week (was that you on another account?). https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...16&postcount=1

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=artful_lounger;72281642]There are also level 7 Solicitor apprenticeships where you earn an LLB over 6 years while also completing the requirements for the LPC and TC

Six years is too long. I would like to complete my LLB within four years. I am also not interested in becoming a solicitor. I am taking the barrister route.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Snufkin;72282206]Odd, someone asked a very similar question last week (was that you on another account?). https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=71855316&postcoun t=1[/QUOTE]

Interesting. That actually was not me. I do not hold an undergrad degree, therefore a graduate route degree is not something that I am eligible for.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I would go with BPP. Their program has a lot of support.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.