Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

17 year old Muslim girl abducted and murdered outside a mosque in Virginia Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be rude but if she wasn't Muslim would you have made a thread about this? A lot of these horrific attacks occur all around the world but they don't get coverage (I also saw a post about this case on fb). Her religion may not have been a factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adnan762)
    Disgusting beyond words. One can only imagine what the poor girl's family is going through

The problem we have is a vicious circle of hatred, i.e. acts of terorrism are being countered by other acts of terrorism and hate crimes.

The only way we can stop it is if we enocurage communities to come together and for leaders to openly denounce hatred and reinforce the values we so proudly uphold. In other words, we need to show that hatred has no place in our world.

And let's hope and pray for peace and resolve in our communities and no more atrocities like this or any of the terror attacks that have shaken our world in recent times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wsstunt002)
    Who cares? no one
    Did you read the post?
    Read it a second time for me pls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    They are trying to allude this to a hate crime as well in the article you linked:

"wearing garbs"

"just finished ramadan"

even mentioning that she's Muslim..

it's all a clear obvious attempt at making this seem like it's a racially/religiously motivated thing by inserting irrelevant things about her background. Pathetic, when a woman was murdered regardless, a person was murdered regardless. And people with their own motives want to bicker that it's a hate crime. Hate crime or not, a tragedy has happened, but social justice warriors never use their brains, only their emotions, and argue about what's not important.
    I agree, it may or may not be to do with her religion. But we just have to wait, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satisfactionatlast)
    so you're saying if a Muslim killed a non-Muslim, Islam would not be blamed?
    No, Islam will not be blamed unless there is evidence for Islam being the motive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    I don't want to be rude but if she wasn't Muslim would you have made a thread about this? A lot of these horrific attacks occur all around the world but they don't get coverage (I also saw a post about this case on fb). Her religion may not have been a factor.
    I think you need to create a separate thread highlighting these other stories of teenagers being brutally murdered in the streets of the developed world for no apparent reason, we should all have an awareness of it, and I would thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I don't want to be part of a world where we're desensitized to such brutality.

ReputationRep:
    Was that photograph really necessary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orderofthelotus)
    No, Islam will not be blamed unless there is evidence for Islam being the motive.
    A genuine question - what motivated the Manchester attacker?

ReputationRep:
    It's probably true that if she wasn't Muslim this thread wouldn't exist, but I can understand why people feel the need to highlight possible hate crimes in a time where there are so many uneducated people going around with the firm belief all Muslims are potential threats and never the victims. It's true though there are unfortunately loads of appalling attacks around the world (including those on Muslims, Christians, atheists etc.) that simply go unnoticedd

ReputationRep:
    That's terrible but there's no evidence it was a hate crime? This could have happened to anybody
    literally nobody mentioned the fact it was a hate crime if you even spent literally 3 seconds reading the reports you'd read that

a) the police are not treating it as a hate crime
    b) the police has no evidence to suggest that it was

log off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iras)
    A Google search tells us that he felt there was injustice towards Muslim kids in the Middle East, and he wanted revenge for that.

Sources 1 and 2
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Anonymοοse)
    Her body was later found in a pond a few days after she had been reported missing. Read about it here or here.

Police have completely dismissed any possibility of it being a hate crime.

He'll most likely plead insanity, it'll be branded a sporadic/isolated incident, and the whole thing will promptly disappear into the archives.

If we're going to learn anything from incidents like these, we must first have an awareness of them.

And If anyone is interested, the community in Virginia are fundraising to support her family during this time.
    The article says

He said that police currently do not have information indicating a "correlation between the victim's faith and the crime itself." However, he added that if there was any indication into a "future possible connection to her religion" as the investigation progressed, then police would "certainly" look into it.

So they havent completely dismissed a religious motive.

You dont really know what he will plead as no information has been released that im aware of . They havent properly interviewed him yet, so they are still investigating what happened. Investigations take time.

Murder would be the correct charge and if it comes to light there is a religious element then they can decide if they wish to change the charges. Plenty of terrorists in the UK are charged with murder and not terrorism related offences because the sentence is more severe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babsxox)
    literally nobody mentioned the fact it was a hate crime if you even spent literally 3 seconds reading the reports you'd read that

a) the police are not treating it as a hate crime
    b) the police has no evidence to suggest that it was

log off.
    Thread starter suggests that the police should have considered it was a hate crime, if you even spent 3 seconds reading the OP?

I was logging off anyway, physics exam on Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future.)
    I agree, it may or may not be to do with her religion. But we just have to wait, I guess.
    yea

Thread starter suggests that the police should have considered it was a hate crime, if you even spent 3 seconds reading the OP?

beautiful

ReputationRep:

one sentence about how the police dismissed it as a hate crime. that's it.

im so tired of these threads because like... the moment anyone involves the term "muslim", there's always bound to be one of those people who immediately tries to downplay the entire incident.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by iras)
    The two reasons ive seen are muslims being killed in Syria by the US ignoring the fact that all the other factions do 95% of the killing.

There was also mention of the fact his Libyan friend was killed in a knife attack in Manchester and he viewed it as a hate crime.

ReputationRep:
    A Google search tells us that he felt there was injustice towards Muslim kids in the Middle East, and he wanted revenge for that.

Sources 1 and 2
    So motivation was more due to conflict in the world and specifically that directed towards those of his religion I guess right?
    • Very Important Poster

im so tired of these threads because like... the moment anyone involves the term "muslim", there's always bound to be one of those people who immediately tries to downplay the entire incident.
    Who is trying to downplay it? Its a murder and they are investigating.

ReputationRep:

I'm not trying to downplay the entire incident, I'm tired of people speculating things that aren't relevant. A teenager was murdered, and someone wants to claim it was a hate crime with no evidence, thus taking away from what's really important here - the fact that a teenager was murdered - and placing the spotlight on a group of people that the event potentially had nothing to do with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iras)
    So motivation was more due to conflict in the world and specifically that directed towards those of his religion I guess right?
    I guess.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.