Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Architecture related questions: learning AutoCad /Sketchup and jobs Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I am applying to Cardiff for the Architecture course that will start in September 2017 and I would be grateful if someone could answer the two questions i have related to studying architecture in the UK. First of all, should I start learning Sketchup and Autocad this summer, or will I learn it at school? Second of all, is it realistic to find a job after the first year? I looked at jobs available right now on the market (u know just to understand what ppl are expecting from me in the future) and I saw that most of them require to graduate RIBA part 1 but also have experience, so i was wandering if one can actually find a job after finishing the first year.Thank you very much. Have a lovely day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irina.alex)
    Hello. I am applying to Cardiff for the Architecture course that will start in September 2017 and I would be grateful if someone could answer the two questions i have related to studying architecture in the UK. First of all, should I start learning Sketchup and Autocad this summer, or will I learn it at school? Second of all, is it realistic to find a job after the first year? I looked at jobs available right now on the market (u know just to understand what ppl are expecting from me in the future) and I saw that most of them require to graduate RIBA part 1 but also have experience, so i was wandering if one can actually find a job after finishing the first year.Thank you very much. Have a lovely day
    My advice is don't touch this course with a barge pole if you are intelligent, logical and need to earn a living. Read my blog http://theappealofarchitecture.blogspot.co.uk/ or read this article http://www.standard.co.uk/news/work/...s-8159842.html Architecture schools will tell you anything to fill places.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 7, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.