The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Do Newcastle University Accept Resits?

After my economics exam today my confidence that I will achieve the ABB required for Newcastle university to study law (including completion of the partners programme) has completely wavered. I'm anticipating BBD at best. I hope for better but economics was my top subject and somehow I completely blanked and fluffed it up. This means I'll most likely have to retake at least economics A2 next year. I am dead set on going to a Russel group university so will I still be able to get into any, including Newcastle, if I were to resist year 13? Also for any partners programme goers do you know if there's a chance of me still getting accepted with BBD when the offer was ABB as I will have to complete the summer school? Is there even a point of doing the partners programme if not? Answers to any of the questions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Original post by Jz1999
After my economics exam today my confidence that I will achieve the ABB required for Newcastle university to study law (including completion of the partners programme) has completely wavered. I'm anticipating BBD at best. I hope for better but economics was my top subject and somehow I completely blanked and fluffed it up. This means I'll most likely have to retake at least economics A2 next year. I am dead set on going to a Russel group university so will I still be able to get into any, including Newcastle, if I were to resist year 13? Also for any partners programme goers do you know if there's a chance of me still getting accepted with BBD when the offer was ABB as I will have to complete the summer school? Is there even a point of doing the partners programme if not? Answers to any of the questions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You'd be best off emailing newcastle themselves but seeing as they seemingly want at least BBB with the partners scheme i don't think they'd accept you missing by that many grades, its not impossible but quite unlikely. Do you have an insurance choice?
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Jz1999

Newcastle do accept people who have resat
There is still a point in doing the partners programme as my friend who did was accepted with grades two lower than her offer.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
You'd be best off emailing newcastle themselves but seeing as they seemingly want at least BBB with the partners scheme i don't think they'd accept you missing by that many grades, its not impossible but quite unlikely. Do you have an insurance choice?

My insurance choice is the same grade boundaries as my firm. I'm dead set on Russell group uni, so I'll have to resit or hope Newcastle allow me with unsatisfactory grades :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Pugglet
Newcastle do accept people who have resat
There is still a point in doing the partners programme as my friend who did was accepted with grades two lower than her offer.

Alright this is good to know. Was worried I may not be able to go to Newcastle if I resit but you've put that to rest so thank you. I'll still try my luck with partners. Maybe my project will wow them :biggrin:
Original post by Jz1999
My insurance choice is the same grade boundaries as my firm. I'm dead set on Russell group uni, so I'll have to resit or hope Newcastle allow me with unsatisfactory grades :frown:

Ah i see russell groups isnt everything in most fields but contact them and they could at least give you and idea for your chances.
Original post by Jz1999
Alright this is good to know. Was worried I may not be able to go to Newcastle if I resit but you've put that to rest so thank you. I'll still try my luck with partners. Maybe my project will wow them :biggrin:

Hi,

I asked the Admissions Tutor for Law if they had any advice for you :smile:

The Law School wouldn't accept BBD, unfortunately, and the PARTNERS offer wouldn't have an impact if those were your final grades. You can wait until after Results Day, and withdraw your application if you aren't offered a place. But you can definitely resit and re-apply next year, that's not a problem :smile:

We'd recommend doing PARTNERS this year as it means if you reapply you can get a lower PARTNERS offer. It also saves on having to do all the paperwork again next year :biggrin:

Hope that helps,

Persephone
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi,

I asked the Admissions Tutor for Law if they had any advice for you :smile:

The Law School wouldn't accept BBD, unfortunately, and the PARTNERS offer wouldn't have an impact if those were your final grades. You can wait until after Results Day, and withdraw your application if you aren't offered a place. But you can definitely resit and re-apply next year, that's not a problem :smile:

We'd recommend doing PARTNERS this year as it means if you reapply you can get a lower PARTNERS offer. It also saves on having to do all the paperwork again next year :biggrin:

Hope that helps,

Persephone

Hey there,

Upsetting news but I guess that's just how it is. Is there no way I'd be able to change to another course instead of have to redo my A2. For instance would I be able to do a course that is BBB entry requirements like History? Also if I were to potentially get ABD, AAD, ABC or AAC would I be more likely to get in? Those are the potential grades I think I could also be sitting around but I'd be happy to change course instead of have to do a whole year of A2 again!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jz1999
Hey there,

Upsetting news but I guess that's just how it is. Is there no way I'd be able to change to another course instead of have to redo my A2. For instance would I be able to do a course that is BBB entry requirements like History? Also if I were to potentially get ABD, AAD, ABC or AAC would I be more likely to get in? Those are the potential grades I think I could also be sitting around but I'd be happy to change course instead of have to do a whole year of A2 again!

Hi,

It might be possible to change to another course, but your UCAS application would need to be looked at by the Admissions Tutor for History so that they can decide whether or not to make you an offer. If you want to talk through that option please e-mail [email protected] (include your UCAS ID in the e-mail so that she can look up your application!)

Another option is to wait until Clearing opens - AAC is equivalent to ABB which would be accepted by the majority of our degrees in Clearing.

Persephone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending