Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

development economics epq ideas Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi guys!

i hope everyone's doing good on this awfully warm evening and everybody's exams have gone or are going well

i'm currently in year 12 and i'll be doing my epq next year, but of course it'd be a great idea to start researching certain elements of my epq over the summer.

i was thinking of doing something along the lines of:

"to what extent does foreign aid help developing countries?"

but i feel as if this is still too brief, and was told to concentrate on two specific countries which send and receive aid instead.

i'll definitely research into countries which i could base my project upon, however i was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas that a development economics epq could be based upon. i'm very interested in poverty but also countries in Africa and Asia.

as well as this, i'm also super super interested in history and politics as well as sociology too. if there was a way to link these topics to poverty, especially in developing countries, that would be amazing. i was thinking of potentially doing something regarding the british empire and any links it may have as to why certain countries are in poverty today. i feel as if that could be quite controversial which i'm all here for.

in my personal statement, i will be talking a lot about development economics as it is the topic which most interests me within the subject of economics, which i want to study at a top university. hence, i feel as my epq title should appear to be quite interesting and spark people to ask me about it.

does anyone else have any other ideas as to what i could base my project upon? i know i do seem to have a strong sense of what i wish to do, but i feel as if it's also important to talk to others and gain inspiration through what others have to say as i am still very open-minded about this all

thank you

ReputationRep:
    I sat 3 development Economics modules at University, hopefully some of these ideas help:

1) Investigate the Relationship Between Inequality and Growth (Inequality can be measured by primary school education attainment, Gini Coefficients and Growth is measured by Real GDP Growth)

2) An Investigation into intrahousehold rescource allocation, ie in poor countries households' is it better to give the monetary aid to men, women, grandparents etc. You could explore this further by looking into;

2a)What are the consequences of inequalities in intra-household allocation of resources? Discuss various policy options that might reduce these inequalities
    2b)How does the relationship between income and nutrition create incentives for an unequal allocation of resources at low levels of income? Discuss the role of credit markets in this regard.

3) You could talk about Nationalisation vs Privatisation as a means for a developing country to grow

4) You can look into how effective the "Washington Consensus" has been in Developing countries

5) You could talk about the increased prevelance of microfinance, which gives the capital poor, access to the capital markets.

There are far more themes you can explore. If you want, i have typed notes i made for one of these development economics modules, they go into depth in some of these themes and provide all the names of the relevant academic papers you can use for your arguments etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by te159311)
    I sat 3 development Economics modules at University, hopefully some of these ideas help:

1) Investigate the Relationship Between Inequality and Growth (Inequality can be measured by primary school education attainment, Gini Coefficients and Growth is measured by Real GDP Growth)

2) An Investigation into intrahousehold rescource allocation, ie in poor countries households' is it better to give the monetary aid to men, women, grandparents etc. You could explore this further by looking into;

2a)What are the consequences of inequalities in intra-household allocation of resources? Discuss various policy options that might reduce these inequalities
    2b)How does the relationship between income and nutrition create incentives for an unequal allocation of resources at low levels of income? Discuss the role of credit markets in this regard.

3) You could talk about Nationalisation vs Privatisation as a means for a developing country to grow

4) You can look into how effective the "Washington Consensus" has been in Developing countries

5) You could talk about the increased prevelance of microfinance, which gives the capital poor, access to the capital markets.

There are far more themes you can explore. If you want, i have typed notes i made for one of these development economics modules, they go into depth in some of these themes and provide all the names of the relevant academic papers you can use for your arguments etc.
    hi! i'm sorry for the very late reply but thank you so much for your ideas and help! it's been very useful and i'll definitely look into them all and read up on the topics, they all seem extremely interesting and absolutely great things to research upon in an extended project. thanks

Poll
Liquorice: Love it, or loathe it?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.