Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, I've been wondering, i'll be moving to Dublin soon enough for Uni. The thing is I know a fair amount about Irish history and I honestly feel a bit awkward come to think of it being an English person in Ireland so I was wondering:

Do English people who are in Dublin feel welcom/awkward there from how you're treated day to day to making friends etc?

Also why is it that English and Irish people claim to be getting on? There are two Irish lads at my school who get on fine with everyone (not sure if it'll be exactly the same vice versa) and they act like everything from the Blight, the black and tans and to the Troubles just didn't happen,

it hasn't even been twenty years since the good friday agreement, not that long, and yet if I didn't know about the history between Eng. and Ireland, I wouldn't have really thought there was. But I hear how almost all Irish people do and so me being there might be different from them being here.

Thoughts?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazzlarr17)
    Hey all, I've been wondering, i'll be moving to Dublin soon enough for Uni. The thing is I know a fair amount about Irish history and I honestly feel a bit awkward come to think of it being an English person in Ireland so I was wondering:

Do English people who are in Dublin feel welcom/awkward there from how you're treated day to day to making friends etc?

Also why is it that English and Irish people claim to be getting on? There are two Irish lads at my school who get on fine with everyone (not sure if it'll be exactly the same vice versa) and they act like everything from the Blight, the black and tans and to the Troubles just didn't happen,

it hasn't even been twenty years since the good friday agreement, not that long, and yet if I didn't know about the history between Eng. and Ireland, I wouldn't have really thought there was. But I hear how almost all Irish people do and so me being there might be different from them being here.

Thoughts?
    You'll be fine. You're overthinking this. Dublin is a brilliant city and Ireland a lovely country. Both have a lot of young brits living there without any tension.

It's great that you have put in the effort to understand the past which means you're not likely to stick your foot in your mouth and say something horrible or thoughtless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You'll be fine. You're overthinking this. Dublin is a brilliant city and Ireland a lovely country. Both have a lot of young brits living there without any tension.

It's great that you have put in the effort to understand the past which means you're not likely to stick your foot in your mouth and say something horrible or thoughtless.
    Really? I just hear about so much Irish bitterness to Brits (english tbh) so that was really calming to hear, thanks!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Really? I just hear about so much Irish bitterness to Brits (english tbh) so that was really calming to hear, thanks!
    There's resentment of the British establishment and government from some people but unless you're an insensitive **** no one will assume you had any influence over government policy in the past

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    There's resentment of the British establishment and government from some people but unless you're an insensitive **** no one will assume you had any influence over government policy in the past
    Oh ok, thanks you calming my nerves there, really wasn't sure how I'd be received and felt a little insecure asking out loud so, honestly, cheers.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?
    Dublin is a very cosmopolitan city - you'll have a ball. The craic is mighty!

In Dublin the English v Irish thing is very much just gentle banter these days. In fact most southern Irish pay very little attention to matters affecting the North. The GFA really isn't a thing in the Republic they have much more pressing concerns like the, recovering, economy. Brexit is more relevant than the GFA or The Troubles.

Reference this news article about current political themes (2016) http://www.irishtimes.com/news/polit...2017-1.2914686 - note no mention of the North! Also it's out of date already - there's a new Taoiseach (Prime Minister) - a gay son of an Indian immigrant: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ter-of-ireland

Which university are you going to?

ReputationRep:
    TCD mate!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TCD mate!
    Trinity is basically an English university

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh right ahahahahahahahah, soooo the anglo-irish thing, that's calmed down now? How? Why do Irish and Brits get on now? How did that happen so quickly?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Oh right ahahahahahahahah, soooo the anglo-irish thing, that's calmed down now? How? Why do Irish and Brits get on now? How did that happen so quickly?
    It hasn't really been a major problem in Dublin since 1921...

(By way of context, I'm Northern Irish living in England.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why though?? It baffles why the English and the Irish DO get along as well as they do, don't get me wrong I'm beyond glad that they do but I just don't understand how they suddenly went from hating each other to acting like there was no enmity at all between them.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Why though?? It baffles why the English and the Irish DO get along as well as they do, don't get me wrong I'm beyond glad that they do but I just don't understand how they suddenly went from hating each other to acting like there was no enmity at all between them.
    Dubliners have never "hated" the English. Many (most?) people in Dublin have a significant anglo ancestry. And many (most?) currently have relatives living there.

For example during the 1916 Easter Rising the "rebels" were hated by most of the resident Dubliners.

Also, life's too short. The Irish have a rather optimistic view of the world although of course The Famine, Cromwell, etc are seared into the national psyche. But in response they sent U2 and Westlife to fight the English...

And, even now, very few Dubliners venture to or think much about The North so anything to do with The Troubles is not really relevant. Therefore the only source of potential Anglo-Irish "hate" is pre-1921.

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?
    Totally different between Belfast (Northern Ireland) and Dublin (Ireland) tbh...I love Dublin and was literally down last week. I'm living and studying in Belfast, there will be no problem there whatsoever, worst case just feign ignorance, Dublin is very welcoming. The troubles, the black and tans and the troubles are a complete non-issue in Ireland, well and truly in the past.

ReputationRep:
    Also, Dublin historically benefited immensely as part of the Union, Dublin would be the most "pro-British" area of Ireland. At the end of the day Ireland celebrated it's independence from Britain in 1922, I'd take the hand out of you I'm sure if I met you in Dublin for Leaving the EU (and taking us with you, grrr) but it's all fun and games.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.