Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is my BF being rude? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My bf now of 6 months came to visit me at university recently. We have a long distance relationship because i am at university and he commutes to a different university from his home. Thus, we don't get to see each other or spend much time together.
    He came over for three days, two nights.
    I live in a house with 4 other members who are all my close friends.
    When he came over, he didn't meet any of my friends at all (he's never met any of my friends). Is this rude on his part? Should he have said Hi at least as they were my close friends and as i was living in a house, it would have been rude not to?
    I don't know as all my friends felt upset and thought i didn't want them to meet my BF, (I told them earlier i was excited for all of them to meet him).
    Is it wrong of him to do that?
    Also the other reason is that he has told all of his family members about me and i haven't told anybody in my family about him, i have only told my friends (who are like my sisters) and i just wanted him to meet my friends so they get a feel of what he is like and judge his to see if he is a good guy for me.
    I did ask him if he wanted to meet my friends, the first time he said he wasn't ready which was fair enough and the second time i asked, he said "I'm not bothered" and shrugged it off as a no.

Thank you for your help
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous15)
    My bf now of 6 months came to visit me at university recently. We have a long distance relationship because i am at university and he commutes to a different university from his home. Thus, we don't get to see each other or spend much time together.
    When he came over, he didn't meet any of my friends at all (he's never met any of my friends). Is this rude on his part? Should he have said Hi at least as they were my close friends and as i was living in a house, it would have been rude not to?
    I don't know as all my friends felt upset and thought i didn't want them to meet my BF, (I told them earlier i was excited for all of them to meet him).
    Also the other reason is that he has told all of his family members about me and i haven't told anybody in my family about him, i have only told my friends (who are like my sisters) and i just wanted him to meet my friends so they get a feel of what he is like and judge his to see if he is a good guy for me.
    I did ask him if he wanted to meet my friends, the first time he said he wasn't ready which was fair enough and the second time i asked, he said "I'm not bothered" and shrugged it off as a no.

Thank you for your help
    I think it's a difficult situations as he perhaps feels he went all that way to see you and not anybody else, but not saying hello does seem a bit rude.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    He isn't being rude. It's just he might not be in the mood for it. I'm sure you guys can talk about it and sort everything out.

ReputationRep:
    Seems a little rude but nothing that major, try talking to him about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous15)

Thank you for your help
    Next time get your close friends in a room and ask him to come with you and introduce yourself. If you ask him directly whilst he is there, there is little chance of a no really. Also it would be good for the relationship. I don't think it is rude, lots of relationships are ruined because of close friends and family. (Like if your parents did not like him.)

ReputationRep:
    You should have introduced him to your friends, he's your guest after all. You invited him to your house, so he shouldn't have to go around looking for your friends to introduce himself. You should have really shown how much you wanted them to meet by ensuring they actually met properly.

ReputationRep:
    You should have really introduced him to them rather than waiting for him to introduce himself. You asked if he would like to meet them, he basically told you he doesn't care much so it was up to you whether you actually wanted him to or not. Since you didn't do it, he probably assumed you didn't want to introduce them yet. You need better communication thought, a lot of simple problems like that could be solved with a bit of talking rather than having to ask people online what they think.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=and i just wanted him to meet my friends so they get a feel of what he is like and judge his to see if he is a good guy for me.
    [/QUOTE]

Why do you need your friends judgement?

ReputationRep:
    Your boyfriend isn't being rude but it won't hurt to meet your friends.

It's your job to introduce your boyfriend to your friends, especially as he was at your house - it wouldn't exactly have been difficult to go and knock on their doors or go into the living room. He probably shrugged it off second time round because he felt a bit weird/awkward about the fact he didn't meet them immediately/you hadn't taken charge. Also, I don't understand why you think your friends are qualified to 'judge' if he's a 'good guy' and 'right for you' - surely that's what you should be doing seeing as you're the one who has started a relationship with him.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: June 21, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.