Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Why did I shake? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Random post title I know!

So I applied for a job I wanted so so badly. Never thought i would get it. I was sure id nottot it as the day they were supposed to call me came and went. I spent the weekend in tears.

A few days later I received the call to say I'd been successful. I started screaming and crying 😂

Anyway after the phone call I felt like I couldn't breathe! I was physically unable to speak and my whole body was shaking! It was actually quite scary. I felt my heart beating out of my chest.

What is this caused by? Surely getting this information is a positive experience. Is it the fact you are nervous at first while waiting for the result?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mezza362)

So I applied for a job I wanted so so badly. Never thought i would get it. I was sure id nottot it as the day they were supposed to call me came and went. I spent the weekend in tears.

A few days later I received the call to say I'd been successful. I started screaming and crying 😂

Anyway after the phone call I felt like I couldn't breathe! I was physically unable to speak and my whole body was shaking! It was actually quite scary. I felt my heart beating out of my chest.

What is this caused by? Surely getting this information is a positive experience. Is it the fact you are nervous at first while waiting for the result?
    You were overcome by emotion, which can happen to some people. Congratulations on your offer

ReputationRep:
    Well done!

I'd imagine it was just all the pent-up tension / anxiety finally being "released".

ReputationRep:

Congratulations! It's probably cause you really wanted it and the unexpected surprise came as a shock.

ReputationRep:

Any sort of intense emotion can cause shaking. It's usually associated with anxiety, but it's also totally normal and common to happen with excitement.
    It basically comes down to adrenaline getting your body all hyped up and your body needing to release it somehow. Adrenaline is released to give you an energy boost, which is useful in scary situations as it can be used to fight or run away. It's a lot of the reason behind mums being able to lift heavy objects off their kids or people being able to lift boulders off themselves. You get emotional and your body goes "I probably need to be working extra hard in this situation.".
    Also why people jump around and dance when they're excited- extra energy that needs to go somewhere. Your body doesn't really need to do it when you're excited, but emotions are emotions so it tends to get mixed up.
    Plus, excitement often comes after suspense and suspense is quite similar to anxiety.

So in your case, you were in suspense/ anxious about if you would get the job. Your body is thinking "something big is about to happen. I need to prepare to do something" and releases adrenaline so you have more energy. You get the job and don't need to fight or run so that energy needs to go somewhere. Your body shakes to release the energy.

It's a rather basic explanation, but that's what happens.
    Congratulations by the way!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: June 20, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.