Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

I revise so much and am the smartest during class, but still failed Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had a biology end of year test. I am in year 9. I revised so much. I did so many practice questions, made flashcards, watched videos for the new syllabus and memorised my notes. Although i only didn't revise 2 things on the test, i didn't get the marks I wanted to get. Can someone tell me what to do as in recent tests I have been getting top marks in the class.
    Also I am in set 2/6 at a high achieving school in one of the top 100 secondary schools in the country (just to let you know).

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your teacher? I assume this is just gonna determine what set you'ere in next year which doesn't really matter. I was in the bottom set* for extension science gcse and I still got straight A*s so set doesn't really matter too much as long as you are being taught right tier bracket.
    *(there where only 2 sets for extension science at my school :P)

ReputationRep:
    Seems like biology is your weakest subject. JOIN THE CLUBBBBB! I'm in year 10 and am also in the top 100 schools in U.K and I was experiencing the same thing until...

I spoke to my teacher. My teacher was hands down the best person to give me advice ever. It turns out I wasn't really absorbing and applying the information given. Furthermore, although my academical ability is really high (predicated all 8's and 9 in Maths) my common sense level is...****ing low.

Biology focuses on an advancement of general common sense, where you apply the knowledge learnt to the questions and build up on that.

Try to answer the basics such as: "describe the breathing system". Focus on the basic things such as air is inhaled and CO2 is exhaled. Then go onto add in keywords such as: Oxygen is entered into the alveoli in the lungs when you breathe in, and then gets diffused through the cappilaries and into the de-oxyginated red blood cells. Then finish up with the same keywords: During this, CO2 is then diffused out of the oxygenated red blood cells through the capillaries, and out the lungs when you exhale

-Oxygen
    -Alveoli
    -Diffusion
    -(De)Oxyginated.
    -Cappileries
    etc. are all basic knowledge. Aplly that and BAM easy 4-6 marker, and we repeat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reviser101)
    I had a biology end of year test. I am in year 9. I revised so much. I did so many practice questions, made flashcards, watched videos for the new syllabus and memorised my notes. Although i only didn't revise 2 things on the test, i didn't get the marks I wanted to get. Can someone tell me what to do as in recent tests I have been getting top marks in the class.
    Also I am in set 2/6 at a high achieving school in one of the top 100 secondary schools in the country (just to let you know).
    I'm in year 10 and I know how you feel.
    First, although it's easier said than done, you need to stop comparing yourself to others. You compare yourself to others in your class because the difference in marks between 2 people seems massive, however there will be people doing the same exams as you in year 11 who have done no revision, and you will be getting a much higher grade.

Also, since you're in yr 9 I assume you're doing the new GCSE spec, where the grade boundaries haven't been confirmed yet. Your teachers are probably marking tests and setting boundaries harshly in case the boundaries are high in the real exams. Therefore you could be getting grade 6s/7s in tests but end up with an 8 or 9 in the real exam.

If you feel you are doing worse in tests due to stress or putting too much pressure on yourself, maybe speak to your teacher or someone. My teacher told me when I got stressed during a test to take breaks if you feel nervous and find something in the room to distract yourself and take deep breaths. For example, I counted the pattern of bricks on the exam hall wall. I know it sounds weird but it really worked.

Last year I began comparing myself to others in maths which is my best subject. I tried to stop doing this by learning ahead of the class for fun and doing problem solving questions. It made me realise that it's important to learn for fun as well as learning for an exam. Maybe you could find something like this online for your favourite lessons.

You sound like a very hard working, conscientious student. Trust me, you haven't failed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reviser101)
    Make a table of things that might make someone lose marks in an exam (e.g. not reading question properly, incorrect maths, exam technique, not knowing content, question left blank, etc) and tally up how many marks you lost in each category. This will allow you to see exactly where and why you are losing your marks and it might just be a simple fix of making sure you read the question twice or paying more attention to the small detail.

As well, you need to upgrade your exam when you get it back with the correct answers so that you know what the answers actually are and this will help you remember more in the actual exam.

Keep doing papers over and over again (even if you've done that paper before) until you're getting full marks, it is honestly the best way. Exam boards often repeat questions but with slightly different wording so the more familiar you are with the questions the better. Also, make sure that you mark your own papers- the mark schemes can be used to learn too, this way you know exactly what the examiners are looking for so next time you're doing an exam you just need to make sure that you include those main points. You could also try doing an exam paper on your own and then fill in any blanks you might have with a revision guide, this again will make sure that you learn the content but also show whether it is the content that is dragging your grade down or the exam technique- if even with a revision guide you are not getting the marks, talk to your teacher who will be able to help you with the exam technique!

I've just finished my GCSEs and I honestly can't explain how well these worked for me! Good luck with everything, try not to stress too much, I know it's horrible when people say this but you've got 2 years to sort it, and you should be proud that you're already in the right mind set in Year 9, it'll help you a lot!x

(If you can learn from videos then Primrose Kitten, Free Science Lessons, and Christopher Thornton are great)

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.