• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 21.44.31.png
Views: 11
Size:  24.0 KB
    for part A)
    why is it
    T - mgsintheta + fmax = ma
    i thought it would be T - mgsintheta - fmax = ma ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 21.44.31.png
Size:  24.0 KB
    for part A)
    why is it
    T - mgsintheta + fmax = ma
    i thought it would be T - mgsintheta - fmax = ma ?
    Clearly you are resolving up the plane. Also clearly, left alone the package slides down the plane. Friction opposes motion. So friction acts up the plane. So it is positive are you are resolving upwards.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Clearly you are resolving up the plane. Also clearly, left alone the package slides down the plane. Friction opposes motion. So friction acts up the plane. So it is positive are you are resolving upwards.
    thanks for clearing it up

ReputationRep:
    Sure. Do you see why that same chain of reasoning means that friction acts down the plane in (b)?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Sure. Do you see why that same chain of reasoning means that friction acts down the plane in (b)?
    yes i do, friction opposes motion.
    sorry quick question,
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 22.03.35.png
Size:  25.7 KB

how would u find the area of the triangle really simply? the markscheme says 3*4 = 12
    but i went to do cosine rule and then 1/2 * b*c*sinA which is long winded for 7 marker. i dont see why they 3*4, and where they get the numbers from

ReputationRep:
    how would u find the area of the triangle really simply? the markscheme says 3*4 = 12
    but i went to do cosine rule and then 1/2 * b*c*sinA which is long winded for 7 marker. i dont see why they 3*4, and where they get the numbers from
    Slice the triangle down halfway from the vertex. This gives two equal right-angled triangles, each with base 3, hypotenuse 5 and so height 4. Hence has area \frac{1}{2} \times 3 \times 4 \times 2 (since there are two such triangles).

Edit: In case this still isn't clear, the reason why each triangle has a base of 3 is because it's slices the side of the square in half, which has length 6.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Slice the triangle down halfway from the vertex. This gives two equal right-angled triangles, each with base 3, hypotenuse 5 and so height 4. Hence has area \frac{1}{2} \times 3 \times 4 \times 2 (since there are two such triangles).

Edit: In case this still isn't clear, the reason why each triangle has a base of 3 is because it's slices the side of the square in half, which has length 6.
    o right pythagorous, thank u so much.

ReputationRep:
    could you say what the answer is. I have M1 tomorrow and I'm quite stressed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    could you say what the answer is. I have M1 tomorrow and I'm quite stressed.
    https://mathsbedwas.wikispaces.com/f...9729/Jun09.pdf <--- mark scheme (question 5) says 11.82N
    i have m1 tomorrow too, good luck

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.