Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Is it even worth applying to Cambridge? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So i did no where near enough revision and i am expecting AAC for AS, in Maths, Comp Sci and Physics. I am also doing engineering which is a 2 year course.

I think next year if i drop physics, i can get A* A D* A, in Maths, Comp Sci Engineering and AS Further Maths (My school only offers further maths AS every other year) so by the end of year i would hopefully have

Maths - A (Predicted A*)
    Computer Science - A (Predicted A)
    Physics - C (Dropping)
    Engineering - Predicted D/D*

Then at the end of year 13

Maths - A*
    Computer Science - A/A*
    Engineering - D*
    AS Further Maths - A

I know the end of year 13 hopeful grades would be good enough, but i think i have ****ed this year and limited my self as my engineering grade wont have any exams to back it up and the physics grade will be low.

So, if i do get AAC this year, is it worth applying?

ReputationRep:
    No sadly.

ReputationRep:
    What is it you want to apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Probably not. What are your GCSE results like? How about UMS marks? Do you have extenuating circumstances?

It might be worth applying after year 13 but its unlikely you'll get in with those AS grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammieDodger27)
    Probably not. What are your GCSE results like? How about UMS marks? Do you have extenuating circumstances?

It might be worth applying after year 13 but its unlikely you'll get in with those AS grades
    GCSE's were 5 A's 5 B's and a C, not very good. My school was below average but not horrible. UMS in maths and compsci should be quite good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAMAL 69)
    No sadly.
    Yeah didnt think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    What is it you want to apply for?
    Comp Sci.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mexO)

Then at the end of year 13

Maths - A*
    Computer Science - A/A*
    Engineering - D*
    AS Further Maths - A
    On these results, you'd only have two full A levels which would ordinarily be considered (I don't know how they'd look at this Engineering qualification, and see below) - and even an A*/A* wouldn't be sufficient - you need to offer 3 A levels and achieve A*/A*/A.

There's nothing to stop you making an application, but I think you need to be realistic about the chances of success and maybe make applications elsewhere where you might have more success. Is this engineering course an A level - how is it graded?

Doonesbury - what do you think of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mexO)
    Comp Sci.
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    On these results, you'd only have two full A levels which would ordinarily be considered (I don't know how they'd look at this Engineering qualification, and see below) - and even an A*/A* wouldn't be sufficient - you need to offer 3 A levels and achieve A*/A*/A.

There's nothing to stop you making an application, but I think you need to be realistic about the chances of success and maybe make applications elsewhere where you might have more success. Is this engineering course an A level - how is it graded?

Doonesbury - what do you think of this?
    Yes fundamentally I dont think a BTEC is acceptable for CompSci

Probably best to ask the AT:
    Ask an Admissions Tutor XI - 13 June 23 June 2017
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4778102

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Yes fundamentally I dont think a BTEC is acceptable for CompSci

Probably best to ask the AT:
    Ask an Admissions Tutor XI - 13 June 23 June 2017
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4778102
    Thanks

Poll
Do you enjoy your job?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.