Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

PGCE secondary Biology: This year or gap year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Let me give you some background on my situation. I am a final year undergraduate student, and am about to get my results soon. I have applied to do a PGCE course for secondary Biology at UCL and have got the conditional offer. In terms of my experience, I have spent some time being a supervisor at a summer camp, Saturday school, and Winter camp. I also spent a whole academic year tutoring A-level Biology students (1.5 hrs a week).

I am a bit ambivalent as to whether I should accept the offer in the coming days or if I should take a gap year and get more experience in a paid environment (e.g. teaching assistant, or paid tutor). I don't want to be shocked when I start the course in September, and want to go into the course with full confidence.

Any other ideas on how I would build up my teacher experience during the gap year?

Thank you

Mehdy Habib

ReputationRep:
    Take a gap year and live a little. You have only just left school. A bit of life experience will make you a much better teacher!

ReputationRep:
    Hey man, thanks for the reply. Yeah I partially agree with you, a gap year would help me relax a little and develop better grounding before becoming a teacher. I could also search for masters whilst doing so, which means I have plenty of opportunities available.

Get the PGCE done and out the way. Shows you are committed, and funding options may change.

If you take a gap year and decide you want to teach, then you are a year behind.

If you take the pgce place and drop out then it wasnt for you and you havent wasted a year out as a TA for nothing. You have also only wasted 1 year, not 2, if you do drop out of the PGCE.

If you do your PGCE and QTS you can always take a gap year then when you have qualified.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Should gherkins be in burgers?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.