Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Let me give you some background on my situation. I am a final year undergraduate student, and am about to get my results soon. I have applied to do a PGCE course for secondary Biology at UCL and have got the conditional offer. In terms of my experience, I have spent some time being a supervisor at a summer camp, Saturday school, and Winter camp. I also spent a whole academic year tutoring A-level Biology students (1.5 hrs a week).

I am a bit ambivalent as to whether I should accept the offer in the coming days or if I should take a gap year and get more experience in a paid environment (e.g. teaching assistant, or paid tutor). I don't want to be shocked when I start the course in September, and want to go into the course with full confidence.

Any other ideas on how I would build up my teacher experience during the gap year?

Thank you

Mehdy Habib

ReputationRep:
    Take a gap year and live a little. You have only just left school. A bit of life experience will make you a much better teacher!

ReputationRep:
    Hey man, thanks for the reply. Yeah I partially agree with you, a gap year would help me relax a little and develop better grounding before becoming a teacher. I could also search for masters whilst doing so, which means I have plenty of opportunities available.

Get the PGCE done and out the way. Shows you are committed, and funding options may change.

If you take a gap year and decide you want to teach, then you are a year behind.

If you take the pgce place and drop out then it wasnt for you and you havent wasted a year out as a TA for nothing. You have also only wasted 1 year, not 2, if you do drop out of the PGCE.

If you do your PGCE and QTS you can always take a gap year then when you have qualified.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.