Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    hello i will be studying this level 3 diploma course at college and i was wondering if i can go university after completing this course if yes which course will i be able to do please help me out and suggest me on what to do as i dont know anything about uni, the course name is Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Buildings and Structures)
    and this is the link http://www.harrow.ac.uk/courses/cons...tructures.html

i am also located in london so if u can suggest any universities and which course i would really really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stack__)
    hello i will be studying this level 3 diploma course at college and i was wondering if i can go university after completing this course if yes which course will i be able to do please help me out and suggest me on what to do as i dont know anything about uni, the course name is Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Buildings and Structures)

i am also located in london so if u can suggest any universities and which course i would really really appreciate it
    It really depends on the university. You'd be better asking specific university admissions departments as this is very general.

If this is too hard ask your course leader for the pathway that most graduates from the course take.
    • Very Important Poster

Having looked at the course I highly doubt it.

It isnt academic enough, nor substantial enough nor of the right type.

Only do it if it really interests you and then maybe build on it to do more vocational trade based courses. Talk to your careers adviser what you really want to do.

For BTEC its the level 3 Extended diploma you want.

work out what you would like to do at Uni and then work backwards to take the needed qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Having looked at the course I highly doubt it.

It isnt academic enough, nor substantial enough nor of the right type.

Only do it if it really interests you and then maybe build on it to do more vocational trade based courses. Talk to your careers adviser what you really want to do.

For BTEC its the level 3 Extended diploma you want.

work out what you would like to do at Uni and then work backwards to take the needed qualifications.
    • Very Important Poster

Yes I was when I looked, but its not the right sort of course. Its a level 3 NVQ maybe the equivalent of one A level and its not academic enough.

What is you want to do in life?

Have you talked to a careers officer?

If uni is what you want then there are various ways to get there and I can point those out, but youd be better off speaking to careers.

Face to face or phone would be best.
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ontact-us/home

ReputationRep:
    Yes I was when I looked, but its not the right sort of course. Its a level 3 NVQ maybe the equivalent of one A level and its not academic enough.

What is you want to do in life?

Have you talked to a careers officer?

If uni is what you want then there are various ways to get there and I can point those out, but youd be better off speaking to careers.

Face to face or phone would be best.
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ontact-us/home

i wanted to do this course but if it doesnt get me in uni then theirs no point i never done well in secondary school i never wanted to study so i never cared about gcses and i failed all of them but not i regret all of that and i decided to start from level 1 and build my way up before its too late
    • Very Important Poster

i wanted to do this course but if it doesnt get me in uni then theirs no point i never done well in secondary school i never wanted to study so i never cared about gcses and i failed all of them but not i regret all of that and i decided to start from level 1 and build my way up before its too late
    But the course is more vocational i.e doing things rather than studying and books. If you want to find the balance that involves studying then consider btecs.

University is mostly academic about learning and studying , so its only right you do courses which reflect that.No point going to uni if you arent prepared for exams.

Theres no harm froim buiilding up but get a plan.

Normally you need Maths and English

Then you can get to uni with

A levels
    BTEC
    Access course (which doesnt require GCSE's except Maths and English)

Talk to your careers adviser and take it one step at a time. If you really want to o then you cna eventually.

ReputationRep:
    But the course is more vocational i.e doing things rather than studying and books. If you want to find the balance that involves studying then consider btecs.

University is mostly academic about learning and studying , so its only right you do courses which reflect that.No point going to uni if you arent prepared for exams.

Theres no harm froim buiilding up but get a plan.

Normally you need Maths and English

Then you can get to uni with

A levels
    BTEC
    Access course (which doesnt require GCSE's except Maths and English)

Talk to your careers adviser and take it one step at a time. If you really want to o then you cna eventually.

i will be doing functional skills level 2 for maths and English

ReputationRep:

As someone else said its an NVQ so I dont believe it is worth any UCAS points thus wont get you to uni - see here.

What degree did you want to do? and what GCSEs do you have?

The college you linked also does BTEC Level 3 and A levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    As someone else said its an NVQ so I dont believe it is worth any UCAS points thus wont get you to uni - see here.

What degree did you want to do? and what GCSEs do you have?

The college you linked also does BTEC Level 3 and A levels
    is what i am doing not a level 3 diploma btec course?

ReputationRep:
    I'd look for a Btec Natonal diploma if i were you i promise you'll get to uni with that I did.
    • Very Important Poster

No it is not. Universities will not take it into account because it isnt academic enough. You need to be doing BTECs for two years or an access course.

Theres a BTEC in Construction and one in Engineering.

Its important you do it to the right level which I believe is National Extended Diploma.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...nals-2016.html
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I think you need professional advice from the college. From my own research, the course you've linked to is worth 32 new UCAS points - not enough to get you to uni on its own, but it would get you partway there. I'm not sure why everyone else is declaring it an unacademic NVQ. Someone is clearly wrong here, so the only people who can actually tell you your options would be the college as they have access to the whole syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I think you need professional advice from the college. From my own research, the course you've linked to is worth 32 new UCAS points - not enough to get you to uni on its own, but it would get you partway there. I'm not sure why everyone else is declaring it an unacademic NVQ. Someone is clearly wrong here, so the only people who can actually tell you your options would be the college as they have access to the whole syllabus.

Thanks pal when i asked the teacher that interviewed me he said once u pass your level 3 unis will take you so im not sure i really want to go university.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks pal when i asked the teacher that interviewed me he said once u pass your level 3 unis will take you so im not sure i really want to go university.
    Unis ask for level 3 qualifications, but you need a certain number of them. This is why students usually take 3 A Levels - unis want 3 A Levels. The course you've linked to is equivalent to one A Level at grade C in terms of UCAS points, so if you take the course you're missing the equivalent of 2 A Levels.

If you're not sure that you want to go to uni, the course does leave you open to other options. You might want to study further electrical qualifications with NVQ/City And Guild and work as an electrician. You would be able to go on to an apprenticeship - Network Rail has a fantastic one in electrical engineering that I can persuade Boristhethird to talk to you about if you would be interested - or you could take further qualifications to go onto uni if you wanted.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You ideally want a BTEC level 3 Extended Diploma, and something else for uni to be sure.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.