Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Law students please advise! Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to anyone who offers their opinion in advance. It's quite a long story so I'll try to keep it short and of course I won't take anything as gospel.

Basically in my apprenticeship contract, it's 3 years long and I must pay back all expenses paid by my company if I leave. I'm a year in and this would be about £12,000. The company hired me knowing I have a physical disability that I can't walk far at all, and I've had the occupational health assessment team come out and "recommend" that I am given on on-site parking space as well as some auxiliary aids such as a leg rest at my desk.

There are 500 on-site parking spaces and about 40 of them free, not being allocated, but there's a 7 year wait list or you get a space if you have a blue badge. I've been refused a blue badge because I'm still having operations to try to get better, and the assessor said that I must have accepted my condition as life-long to get one. The off-site parking is a 15-20 minute walk away, or in my wheelchair it's 45 minutes as the closer gate doesn't allow access. This is too far for me to walk twice a day.

Anyway, they have refused my parking space and auxiliary aids- which I feel I have a right to under the Equality Act 2010, and told me that I need to keep myself quiet and get on with it. They even told me that they had to comply with what the occupational health assessors recommended as they choose the "reasonable adjustments" under the above act.

I can't walk every day and I feel as though I may have some standing in that they have refused my right to reasonable adjustments in the workplace and knowing I have a disability prior to joining. Do you think this would give me some leverage to get out of my contract without paying any of the expenses or does it not work like that? I'm very tempted to leave, and given the opportunity to leave for free I would grab with both hands.

Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by jackhaugh)
    Thanks to anyone who offers their opinion in advance. It's quite a long story so I'll try to keep it short and of course I won't take anything as gospel.

Basically in my apprenticeship contract, it's 3 years long and I must pay back all expenses paid by my company if I leave. I'm a year in and this would be about £12,000. The company hired me knowing I have a physical disability that I can't walk far at all, and I've had the occupational health assessment team come out and "recommend" that I am given on on-site parking space as well as some auxiliary aids such as a leg rest at my desk.

There are 500 on-site parking spaces and about 40 of them free, not being allocated, but there's a 7 year wait list or you get a space if you have a blue badge. I've been refused a blue badge because I'm still having operations to try to get better, and the assessor said that I must have accepted my condition as life-long to get one. The off-site parking is a 15-20 minute walk away, or in my wheelchair it's 45 minutes as the closer gate doesn't allow access. This is too far for me to walk twice a day.

Anyway, they have refused my parking space and auxiliary aids- which I feel I have a right to under the Equality Act 2010, and told me that I need to keep myself quiet and get on with it. They even told me that they had to comply with what the occupational health assessors recommended as they choose the "reasonable adjustments" under the above act.

I can't walk every day and I feel as though I may have some standing in that they have refused my right to reasonable adjustments in the workplace and knowing I have a disability prior to joining. Do you think this would give me some leverage to get out of my contract without paying any of the expenses or does it not work like that? I'm very tempted to leave, and given the opportunity to leave for free I would grab with both hands.

Thanks!
    You can talk to:

Disabled students helpline.
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/h...dents-helpline

CAB

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/

ACAS
    http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

EASS
    http://www.equalityadvisoryservice.c...VEZVTGpBbG4%3D

Does the company have an Equalities officer? It sounds like a larger organisation. What about your mentor? Have you entered a formal complaint?

Go through the list of people above and see what they have to say. Unless they decide otherwise then you are liable to pay the money you have borrowed. If you get enough backing then they may or may not let it go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You can talk to:

Disabled students helpline.
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/h...dents-helpline

CAB

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/

ACAS
    http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

EASS
    http://www.equalityadvisoryservice.c...VEZVTGpBbG4%3D

Does the company have an Equalities officer? It sounds like a larger organisation. What about your mentor? Have you entered a formal complaint?

Go through the list of people above and see what they have to say. Unless they decide otherwise then you are liable to pay the money you have borrowed. If you get enough backing then they may or may not let it go.
    Amazing. Thanks a lot for your help! It was my mentor who told me to keep myself quiet and just accept it, as I'm on a fast track leadership course and he said that when I'm in a leadership position then I will also want people to accept it when I tell them no.

I'll look into the equalities officer and a formal complaint, thanks. I guessed I would have to pay it back as my issue is unrelated to the contract. But just for clarity it isn't money that I've borrowed, it's what they've paid out for my development etc so far.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by jackhaugh)
    Amazing. Thanks a lot for your help! It was my mentor who told me to keep myself quiet and just accept it, as I'm on a fast track leadership course and he said that when I'm in a leadership position then I will also want people to accept it when I tell them no.

I'll look into the equalities officer and a formal complaint, thanks. I guessed I would have to pay it back as my issue is unrelated to the contract. But just for clarity it isn't money that I've borrowed, it's what they've paid out for my development etc so far.
    They have incurred it on your behalf. I cant see your contract, so I wouldnt know.

If you complain then be aware it can really sour relations.

Talk to ACAS , EEAS and the disability rights people.
    The equaliites officer would also be fine as that is what they are there for. No need to complain just ask for clarification. the details will be on the employees manual or on the website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    They have incurred it on your behalf. I cant see your contract, so I wouldnt know.

If you complain then be aware it can really sour relations.

Talk to ACAS , EEAS and the disability rights people.
    The equaliites officer would also be fine as that is what they are there for. No need to complain just ask for clarification. the details will be on the employees manual or on the website.
    Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.