Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Currently a year 12 student who is looking for part time work. I've been applying for jobs on & off throughout this year and have had several interviews, although have never been successful. I'm trying to get myself into retail by applying for jobs like Tesco's etc, but I don't seem to have any luck. I don't think I'm under qualified since I have 8 GCSE's including English and maths, as well as doing some voluntary work for a local business and currently studying towards a diploma. I'm starting to think that the layout and presentation of my CV is the problem, as I've heard that a lot of companies nowadays use CV scanning software which basically filters applicants with the specified requirements. By the way, my CV's font colour is grey since it was a default layout on Microsoft Word. Could this be a problem? I'm happy to hear your thoughts!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it could be your formatting or structure.

I think your best bet would be to head over to CV Help and post your CV there for more advice.

But you also mentioned that you got to interviews but were not successful, I think the problem could well lie in how you answered the questions. For competency based questions, you should make use of the STAR technique.
    https://www.theguardian.com/careers/...ased-interview

Avoid cliches like "my biggest weakness is that I am a perfectionist" as well. Make sure you present a weakness that you can turn into a strength. But also lack of research about the company and the role could show that you're not interested and may cost you dearly.

Use this site to help you prepare.
    https://theinterviewguys.com/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.