Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Can a University pay me for giving me false advice Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm an Russian student and I was given false immigration advice from Imperial college london, and now i'm demanding compensation.

If I fill out their complaint form and show them how i was lied to by their advisors, can i win my case and get the money i deserve?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    No.

/close thread
    Why not?

They gave me false advice about my immigration, and now i'm told that I have to pay for something that I was initally told I'm not going to.

I'll involve my lawyers if this is not seen through

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlwaysWithGod)
    Why not?

They gave me false advice about my immigration, and now i'm told that I have to pay for something that I was initally told I'm not going to.

I'll involve my lawyers if this is not seen through
    Yea, I think it best to consult your lawyers. They can tell you if you have a strong case or not, but bare in mind a university probably has a lot more money to spend on a case than you do, so weigh up if it is worth it first. But it doesn't hurt to complain, though I doubt they would just give you money outright, they would probably negotiate something else with you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You should have done your own research instead of just relying on someone to tell you.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think it will hold up in court, you could have easily looked for yourself.

You clearly have money, just pay the fee rather than wasting money on legal fees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They probably didn't LIE to you - they were just incorrect. Why would it be their job to give you immigration advice?? There are plenty of better places to go to for advice. You should have called the appropriate agencies, so trying to make a quick buck out of your own stupidity would be beyond cheeky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    They probably didn't LIE to you - they were just incorrect. Why would it be their job to give you immigration advice?? There are plenty of better places to go to for advice. You should have called the appropriate agencies, so trying to make a quick buck out of your own stupidity would be beyond cheeky.
    I'm not trying to make a quick buck you idiot, I don't need Imperial's money I have enough money on my own, the university realised that I have a good claim and told me to fill a form and it will be investigated.

So shut the hell up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You should have done your own research instead of just relying on someone to tell you.
    First off all it was 3 of their immigration advisors that told me, not just one, so don't say what you don't know. And secondly I did do my research and told them I need certain things, the University told me I didn't so how the hell is that my fault?

You obviously have problem with Russians i think

ReputationRep:
    First off all it was 3 of their immigration advisors that told me, not just one, so don't say what you don't know. And secondly I did do my research and told them I need certain things, the University told me I didn't so how the hell is that my fault?

"They disagree, must be because of my back ground or other racial matters, not because I'm being stupid and incompetent. I don't know why everyone is disagreeing with me because I'm obviously right and I just made this thread to prove I am right. It's a great idea to take the university i will spend the next 3+ years at to court."

I hope you understand how idiotic you sound and will apologise to the people who are trying to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

You didn't say that in your OP?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

What in the world are you talking about? You're either trolling or you have a strong need to be identified as a victim. Accept responsibility, swallow your pride and move on.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You didn't say that in your OP?
    I think the OP is just trolling to be honest. What was that Russian comment about?

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.