Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

I have applied for student finance in March and i have been fighting with them ever since. I have been living in the UK for the past 10 years, worked for over 5 years and studied for 8 years. I know that i am eligible for funding.

The problem is that I went to travel for 5 months to simply build up my portfolio as i was applying for a University that isn't easy to get into. I have contacted Student finance few months before i bought my flights to Central America to find out if this "long Holiday" would have an impact on my future finance application. I was assured that it would be considered to be a gap year, therefore i shouldn't be worried and i should enjoy my trip instead. I did as i was told.

After i returned to the UK i was one of the people to apply the very moment they opened the application. I submitted the evidence they asked for, often the same evidence many times as they have lost it, misplaced it. They blamed me many times and dared to say that it hasn't arrived because I didn't send it as a priority when in fact i did, and i knew they received it because my passport was sent back to me 4 days later.

They asked me to provide them with all of the receipts from my travels to prove that this trip was only temporary (?!) what has that to do with anything ?
    I think the fact that i was travelling to countries which only give temporary visas is enough to prove that I wasn't planning to move to Nicaragua for good and that my trip was only temporary. I was still paying for my bills in UK anyway.

I have spoken to many different advisers who passed me up like a ball from one hand to another. The most frustrating thing is that each time i call i have to explain everything again and again as the person i deal with has no idea about my case. Not to mention that each one of them ask for something different. EVERY TIME. No seriously, one time i called 4 times in 1 hour andi lost my patience after the forth person i spoke to stated that they needed something totally different to what i was told by the previous advisers.

I sent flight tickets, passports, visas, bank statements, receipts,hostel details, and a cover letter but it seems not to be enough to prove my travelling intentions. I am out of ideas and patience.

has anyone of you been in a similar situation ?
    ~

i would be grateful for any advise.

thanks guys

solovagant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solovagant)
    Hi there.

I have applied for student finance in March and i have been fighting with them ever since. I have been living in the UK for the past 10 years, worked for over 5 years and studied for 8 years. I know that i am eligible for funding.

The problem is that I went to travel for 5 months to simply build up my portfolio as i was applying for a University that isn't easy to get into. I have contacted Student finance few months before i bought my flights to Central America to find out if this "long Holiday" would have an impact on my future finance application. I was assured that it would be considered to be a gap year, therefore i shouldn't be worried and i should enjoy my trip instead. I did as i was told.

After i returned to the UK i was one of the people to apply the very moment they opened the application. I submitted the evidence they asked for, often the same evidence many times as they have lost it, misplaced it. They blamed me many times and dared to say that it hasn't arrived because I didn't send it as a priority when in fact i did, and i knew they received it because my passport was sent back to me 4 days later.

They asked me to provide them with all of the receipts from my travels to prove that this trip was only temporary (?!) what has that to do with anything ?
    I think the fact that i was travelling to countries which only give temporary visas is enough to prove that I wasn't planning to move to Nicaragua for good and that my trip was only temporary. I was still paying for my bills in UK anyway.

I have spoken to many different advisers who passed me up like a ball from one hand to another. The most frustrating thing is that each time i call i have to explain everything again and again as the person i deal with has no idea about my case. Not to mention that each one of them ask for something different. EVERY TIME. No seriously, one time i called 4 times in 1 hour andi lost my patience after the forth person i spoke to stated that they needed something totally different to what i was told by the previous advisers.

I sent flight tickets, passports, visas, bank statements, receipts,hostel details, and a cover letter but it seems not to be enough to prove my travelling intentions. I am out of ideas and patience.

has anyone of you been in a similar situation ?
    ~

i would be grateful for any advise.

thanks guys

solovagant
    I'd get somebody's name and email and deal only with them- really press them so that you're impossible to ignore/forget.
    I had a similar issue (only with insurance) and I called the same person every week for an update. I think it made them resolve it quicker as they wanted me out of their hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friffinghell)
    I'd get somebody's name and email and deal only with them- really press them so that you're impossible to ignore/forget.
    I had a similar issue (only with insurance) and I called the same person every week for an update. I think it made them resolve it quicker as they wanted me out of their hair.

thanks i will definitely do that !

ReputationRep:
    Never been in a situation like that
    but if did happen i'd go to the citizens advice bureau if the advisers didn't know what they were doing.... they'll surely help you out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.