Am I even eligible for home fees ????

Watch
GoDHK1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm an 18 year old British and Pakistani national who has been offered a place at a university however I have been classified as an international student. My parents sent me to Pakistan to do my GCE's and A levels. So I lived at a hostel and attended an institution. However during these 5 years I didn't go back to the UK since my parents kept visiting because some of my relatives live here and they thought they could visit them too. So anyways I also accidentally wrote the address of my hostel as the permanent address and I think that's why I've been classified as an international student. Also to make matters worse my British passport expired midway too. I've requested a fee status questionnaire but I'm confused what evidence should I send them and how should I explain them.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by GoDHK1)
I'm an 18 year old British and Pakistani national who has been offered a place at a university however I have been classified as an international student. My parents sent me to Pakistan to do my GCE's and A levels. So I lived at a hostel and attended an institution. However during these 5 years I didn't go back to the UK since my parents kept visiting because some of my relatives live here and they thought they could visit them too. So anyways I also accidentally wrote the address of my hostel as the permanent address and I think that's why I've been classified as an international student. Also to make matters worse my British passport expired midway too. I've requested a fee status questionnaire but I'm confused what evidence should I send them and how should I explain them.
You have to show them you were resident in the UK for the three years preceding the course you intend to start. You will need to provide evidence to support that claim.

From what you said you will have a very difficult time as for all intents and purposes you left the UK to live in Pakistan. Not visiting the UK is hard to get past.
GoDHK1
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You have to show them you were resident in the UK for the three years preceding the course you intend to start. You will need to provide evidence to support that claim.

From what you said you will have a very difficult time as for all intents and purposes you left the UK to live in Pakistan. Not visiting the UK is hard to get past.
True but that's where I think you're missing the point. I was sent here by my parents because they thought I would be better off getting higher education in Pakistan (which is sort of true got 11A's in my GCE's) because of the competitive environment there. I'm not planning on staying here rather i am supposed to go back to the UK after my A level results .
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
True but that's where I think you're missing the point. I was sent here by my parents because they thought I would be better off getting higher education in Pakistan (which is sort of true got 11A's in my GCE's) because of the competitive environment there. I'm not planning on staying here rather i am supposed to go back to the UK after my A level results .
Not missing the point at all. It is a case if evidence and you being able to persuade sfe that it was only ever temporary. Without evidence you have an uphill struggle.
Evidence showing you retained contact with the UK and always intended to return (not just you saying so) is what they require.
GoDHK1
Rep:
?
Not missing the point at all. It is a case if evidence and you being able to persuade sfe that it was only ever temporary. Without evidence you have an uphill struggle.
Evidence showing you retained contact with the UK and always intended to return (not just you saying so) is what they require.
Oh ! Really sorry for the misunderstanding.
So what sort of evidence will I require to persuade them that I always intended to return ?
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
Oh ! Really sorry for the misunderstanding.
So what sort of evidence will I require to persuade them that I always intended to return ?
Normally its anything official to link you to being resident in the UK and keeping your life going there i,e returning to visit etc plus evidence your absence was temporary i.e temp job or a temp contract for schooling, return ticket home. Its up to you to convince SFE.

From what youve posted I get the impression you will be a challenge providing such evidence.
GoDHK1
Rep:
?
Normally its anything official to link you to being resident in the UK and keeping your life going there i,e returning to visit etc plus evidence your absence was temporary i.e temp job or a temp contract for schooling, return ticket home. Its up to you to convince SFE.

From what youve posted I get the impression you will be a challenge providing such evidence.
To be honest I don't think it's worth the hassle as I not only have to convince SFE but for loans but also convince universities to consider me for home fees. My parents are able to afford the home fees so I'd rather just convince universities to consider me for home fees? How much easier would it be to convince them instead ?
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
To be honest I don't think it's worth the hassle as I not only have to convince SFE but for loans but also convince universities to consider me for home fees. My parents are able to afford the home fees so I'd rather just convince universities to consider me for home fees? How much easier would it be to convince them instead ?
I believe its the same test applied by the uni as by sfe. Try but I dont think it will be any easier as they apply the same rules based on residency.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (221)
60.88%
No (76)
20.94%
Not sure (66)
18.18%

Watched Threads