The Student Room Group

Differentiation help please! Second Derivative (stationary points) question...

Hi, I have this question that I can't quite figure out (I think I'm just doing something stupid! :frown:)...

Find any stationary points on the curve of the following function and identify their nature:

y=x3+12x y= x^{3}+\frac{12}{x}

I differentiated, then rewrote the equation:

dydx=3x212x2=3x212x2[br] \frac{\mathrm{d}{y}}{\mathrm{d} x} = 3x^{2}-\frac{12}{x^{2}} = 3x^{2}-12x^{-2} [br]

From there I was unable to factorise and so find the stationary points :s-smilie:

Thanks for your help!:smile:
Original post by She'llBeApples
Hi, I have this question that I can't quite figure out (I think I'm just doing something stupid! :frown:)...

Find any stationary points on the curve of the following function and identify their nature:

y=x3+12x y= x^{3}+\frac{12}{x}

dydx=3x212x2=3x212x2[br] \frac{\mathrm{d}{y}}{\mathrm{d} x} = 3x^{2}-\frac{12}{x^{2}} = 3x^{2}-12x^{-2} [br]

From there I was unable to factorise and so find the stationary points :s-smilie:

dydx=3x2(x44)\frac{dy}{dx}=3x^{-2}(x^4-4) so the stationary points are when x44=0x^4-4=0

x2 x^{2}

dydx=3x212x2=0[br] \frac{\mathrm{d}{y}}{\mathrm{d} x} = 3x^{2}-\frac{12}{x^{2}} = 0[br]

to solve

dydx=3x212x2=0[br] \frac{\mathrm{d}{y}}{\mathrm{d} x} = 3x^{2}-\frac{12}{x^{2}} = 0[br]

you could start by multiplying each term by x2 x^{2}
Would that mean the equation becomes
3x4x212=0 3x^{4}-x^{2}-12=0 ?

I'm a little stuck in factorising this equation ...

Original post by the bear
to solve

dydx=3x212x2=0[br] \frac{\mathrm{d}{y}}{\mathrm{d} x} = 3x^{2}-\frac{12}{x^{2}} = 0 [br]

you could start by multiplying each term by x2 x^{2}
Would that mean the equation becomes
3x412=0 3x^{4}-12=0 ?

I'm a little stuck in factorising this equation ...

this is what you should get....

3x412=0 3x^{4}-12=0
Sorry, I get it now! To find the stationary points then, I would factorise, resulting in 3(x44) 3(x^{4}-4)
Then dydx=0 \frac{\mathrm{dy} }{\mathrm{d} x}=0 when x44x4=4x=44 x^{4}-4 \Rightarrow x^{4}=4 \Rightarrow x=\sqrt[4]{4}

Is this correct?
The answer in my book lists the stationary points as the x values being

2 \sqrt{2} and 2 -\sqrt{2} respectively.

Would the x values obtained from the equation then have to equal these for my working to be correct?

Original post by the bear
this is what you should get....

3x412=0 3x^{4}-12=0
Sorry, I get it now! To find the stationary points then, I would factorise, resulting in 3(x44) 3(x^{4}-4)
Then dydx=0 \frac{\mathrm{dy} }{\mathrm{d} x}=0 when x44x4=4x=44 x^{4}-4 \Rightarrow x^{4}=4 \Rightarrow x=\sqrt[4]{4}

Is this correct?
The answer in my book lists the stationary points as the x values being

2 \sqrt{2} and 2 -\sqrt{2} respectively.

Would the x values obtained from the equation then have to equal these for my working to be correct?

You need both to get full marks. Do you see where they come from?
Original post by RDKGames
You need both to get full marks. Do you see where they come from?

No - that's just where I can't work the problem further... I don't see how they got their answers from where I was with my partial answer of x=44 x= \sqrt[4]{4} ??
No - that's just where I can't work the problem further... I don't see how they got their answers from where I was with my partial answer of x=44 x= \sqrt[4]{4} ??

If x^4=4, then x=±44x= \pm \sqrt[4]{4}

Use laws of indices to progress further. Perhaps rewrite it as (2^n)^m
Original post by Integer123
If x^4=4, then x=±44x= \pm \sqrt[4]{4}

Use laws of indices to progress further. Perhaps rewrite it as (2^n)^m

Thanks so much for your help! :smile: Problem solved! :biggrin:

My problem was that I failed to realise that 442 \sqrt[4]{4}\equiv \sqrt{2}

Quick Reply

Latest