The Student Room Group

Did Jesus really exist?

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artefacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. Do people just worship a character from a book?

Scroll to see replies

As far I was aware, there was a person 'Jesus' from a historical standpoint who was crucified by the Romans as Roman records suggest this iirc.

Everything that follows in terms of the religious doctrine is all conjecture of course
Original post by JAMAL 69
Do people just worship a character from a book?

Of course they do. All gods are fictional characters created in the interests of either (a) entertaining fiction or (b) influencing the behaviour of the people who can be persuaded to believe in them.
Jesus is real to me. He's my daddy.
Good chance he didn't exist in my opinion or if he did exist, people just wrote his stories way over the top probably.
There was a census taken at the time which had to include everyone. Apparently Jesus's name would have been included as a newborn. I think he genuinely did exist. That doesn't prove any kind of connections to God though. But I read somewhere that most scholars say that a man called Jesus really existed and that he came from Palestine and was crucified by Pilate at the age of 33.
Original post by JAMAL 69
No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artefacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. Do people just worship a character from a book?

Jesus is the Son of God, not a prophet. He will be coming soon to your neighborhood to judge the Living and the Dead. better get ready pal.
Original post by markova21
There was a census taken at the time which had to include everyone.

No. Luke is utter tosh on this.

Note the following:

(a) The census took place in 6 AD, ten years after Herod's death in 4 BC, so the massacre story is also tosh.

(b) There was no single census of the entire empire under Augustus.

(c) No Roman census ever required people to travel from their own homes to those of distant ancestors.

(d) The regional census of Judea would not have included Joseph and his family, living in Galilee.

Why would anyone place any reliability on a story that gets so many important facts wrong, much less live their lives by it?
1. His name was not Jesus
2. He was not a Christian, he never preached Christianity. That word was made up after him.
3.He emphasised on believe in 1 God not 3 in 1 and all that complex.
4.He worshipped God himself and submitted to God only which is what he preached.
5. he was the Prophet, a messenger of God.
6. He never died.
7. He will return, complete his prophethood and correct everyone not judge because only God will judge.
Original post by Anonymous
2. He was not a Christian, he never preached Christianity. That word was made up after him.
4.He worshipped God himself and submitted to God only which is what he preached.
6. He never died.
7. He will return, complete his prophethood and correct everyone not judge because only God will judge.

Of course he wasn't a Christian. Christianity didn't exist. He was Jewish, as were his family.
6. He never died.

I agree with you, apart from points 6 and 7.
Original post by markova21
Of course he wasn't a Christian. Christianity didn't exist. He was Jewish, as were his family.

No he was not of the Jew religion we see today. He came to correct the Judaism which had been corrupted and spread the true message. In a nut shell Islam is correct about what Jesus preached.

Original post by JMR2017
I agree with you, apart from points 6 and 7.

You think he died on the cross?
And will he not return?
No he was not of the Jew religion we see today. He came to correct the Judaism which had been corrupted and spread the true message. In a nut shell Islam is correct about what Jesus preached.

You think he died on the cross?
And will he not return?

No, I believed Jesus survived the cross, and died later on in life of natural causes.
Original post by JMR2017
No, I believed Jesus survived the cross, and died later on in life of natural causes.

Where do you get this from?
Where do you get this from?

Look up the 'Roza Bal Tomb'. I think Jesus is buried there.
Reply 15
he likely will have been real but is unlikely to have had any connection to any god or other deity
Original post by JMR2017

Lol what? Source please?
Original post by JMR2017

You think his family or supporters transported his body to Kashmir from Palestine in order to bury it? Perhaps you could explain something of the logistics and preservation issues involved.

:toofunny:
I think there is a good chance such a historical figure lived. No more divine than the other's though. The topic is discussed here by a historian in some depth, an atheist no less. An interesting read.
Original post by Good bloke
You think his family or supporters transported his body to Kashmir from Palestine in order to bury it? Perhaps you could explain something of the logistics and preservation issues involved.

:toofunny:

Lol He was alive when he went to Kashmir.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending